Guilty Pleasures 5.0

JoeinAR

Its been along time since we did a guilty pleasure thread.

there are alot of bad movies, mediocre movies, ok movies, and even good and great movies that not everyone likes, but some do.

So what are some of your guilty pleasures?

two of mine are The Mummy, and Starship Troopers

The Mummy isn't great, but I like it for some reason, and there are a few set pieces in the film I really enjoy.

Starship Troopers is a movie that doesn't click with everyone but the ones it does, they, like me really like this movie on several levels. I really love the effects, and the whole look of the film, not to mention the total tongue in cheek/facist view the film has.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Independence Day for its sheer popcorn fun and magnificent score.

and

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl for its fun adventure and Johnny Depp's swaggering pirate act. Almost ruined by that awful score, though. :folder:

Joe, those aren't guilty for me. Those movies are very aware of their campiness.

Jesse's guilty pleasure movies:

Home Alone 2

Hook

These movies were truly poor in some regards, yet I find myself rewatching them voluntarily now and then.

Congo, a film that might not be great, and has been slammed at by many people.

But I like it, it has more interesting/fun characters then Jurassic Park.

I especially love Ernie Hudson ("I'm your Great white Hunter on this trip...though I happen to be black.") and Tim Curry as Herkermer Homolka ( My name is Herkermer Homolka, formerly of Romania, now freed from the clutches of Caucescu, traveling the wordl...doing good!")

The Mummy is another great guilty pleasure, lightweight, but fun, with interesting characters and good special effects that do not overcrowd the film.

Lethal Weapon 4, some people hate this one, I really like it, it plays like a reunion show.

You just don't get many action films that have a scene were a character talks about losing his pet frog. :folder:

Star Trek: Nemesis, plays like a outstanding 2 part episode of TNG. Plenty of faults, especially the whole B4 plotline which is pretty bad in itself, and ignores much of what was stated in TNG.

But dammit, Patrick Stewart gives an outstanding performance, it has great special effects, a few surprises and a decent space battle.

first of all, I don't consider Starship Troopers (excellent satire) and Love, Actually to qualify as guilty pleasures, those are good movies in their own field.

Mine:

-The Time Machine - I just love the visuals and the music, they create a great athmosphere. And the climactic encounter with the Master is good. Everyone else I know seems to hate the film, though.

-The Wedding Singer - Well, it has music, and Drew Barrymore ;)

-Star Wars Eps 1 & 2 ;)

-Confessions of a teenage drama queen - Yeah, yeah, how could I sink any lower :folder: But it's quite fun in many parts, has cute actresses in there and a hilarious Adam Garcia.

For me. Probably Rambo II

"Murdoch.....i'm comin' to get yooouuuu" (bends microphone)

"What you call hell....he calls home" (Colonel Trautman - Rambo's PR man)

Etc, etc, etc.

One of my all time favourite Jerry bits in that film, is right near the end when Rambo comes back to base in the helicopter and is walking into the office, to find Murdoch. Oh, the music is fantastic. It really portrays "Hell on earth, and he's comin' to get yooouuu". Specifically, at 2:45 on Track 19 (Home flight). Great stuff. Jerry takes a back seat while Rambo then proceeds to blow the living hell out of every piece of technology in the room (while his muscles ripple dramatically and his mouth hangs to one side) with his gun. Yes, Rambo movies are truly awful but a guilty pleasure of mine.

Melange - Now ripping off his shirt, rolling down the stairs, grabbing an apple, throwing it across the room like a grenade, backflipping into the kitchen, and firing an arrow at an orange on the kitchen table.

NEIL! NEIL!

I remember this kind of thread has been done before!!  

LOCK IT DOWN BRO! LOCK IT DOWN!!

I concur, this thread is nothing but Joe celebrating his 5618th post. You can tell by the subtley of his writing. It's all there people. :folder:

Justin - Who thinks this is not a repeat, but rather an update. ;)

Of what's been listed I enjoy but don't neccesarily consider guilty pleasures: Starship Troopers, Independence Day, ST: Nemesis, Star Wars prequels, and Pirates of the Carribean (except the score).

Let's see, I consider Survivor a guilty pleasure since it's a reality show, about the only one that isn't complete crap. It's one of the greatest games of strategy ever devised IMO.

I've always enjoyed Labirynth. I've also always liked the American Pie trilogy.

NEIL! NEIL!

I remember this kind of thread has been done before!!  

"I'll keep that in mind. When this becomes a democracy."

-Captain James T. Kirk

Neil

Most of my collection at home would be considered guilty pleasures. I've got a large shelf of videos from when I was younger, and back then I was mostly into popcorn movies - much of which I wouldn't be seen dead with now.

A current one though is Dante's Peak. It has some of the cheesiest lines I've ever heard (I can't watch most of Ruth's death scene without cringing), but it's got a great location, amazing effects and a pretty good score.

I also really like National Treasure even though I can see the flaws myself, but then I really like Nicholas Cage as well.

On the score side, I've taken a liking to Pirates of the Caribbean. Previously I disregarded this as a pile of cr*p, but if I ignore its connection (or lack of) to the film, it's a damn fun listen :folder:

On the score side, I've taken a liking to Pirates of the Caribbean. Previously I disregarded this as a pile of cr*p, but if I ignore its connection (or lack of) to the film, it's a damn fun listen

Just the opposite with me. :folder:

"I'll keep that in mind. When this becomes a democracy."

-Captain James T. Kirk

Neil

If it had been me, i would have replied with :

"I'm aware of my responsibilities, Mister" - Kirk (STMP)

Or "Your opinion has been noted....and logged" - Kirk (STMP)

Or "STOP.....competing with me, Roald" - Kirk (STMP)

Or "I trust you'll nursemaid me through these difficulties, Roald"? - Kirk (STMP)

Guilty Pleasures 5.0

I just thought of another Guilty pleasure of mine. I reckon i'm the only person who loves the 1980's songs on the Original Terminator soundtrack release. Most people seem to despise them. But for example, "Burning in the 3rd Degree" is integral to that movie and the scenes it's connected to. The songs are just as part of the feel and mood of the movie, as Brad's score is. Ok, admittedly "Pictures of you" is a bit too 1980's for comfort at times, and i feel really guilty, bopping my head to "Intimacy"...."Intimacy..intimacy...ya ya ya ya". And "You cant do that" is so 1980's optimistic, i just love it. What was it about 1980's songs that were so optimistic? (which is quite in constrast to the movie, with it's theme of "The future is ashes..We're all screwed").

I concur, this thread is nothing but Joe celebrating his 5618th post. You can tell by the subtley of his writing. It's all there people.  

busted. damn

here is another.

Final Destination 2, bad acting abounds, but the movie is just a vehicle to kill people in cool ways, and it does it wonderfully. I never drive behind log trucks anymore after seeing it.

Final Destination 2, bad acting abounds, but the movie is just a vehicle to kill people in cool ways, and it does it wonderfully.  I never drive behind log trucks anymore after seeing it.

LOL Is that the movie, where they have a premenition of all their deaths? I saw that last year on a night bus in Burma. Shows you the kind of movies they choose to show at times. All dubbed, mind you. But i think i remember the log scene, mentioned. Is that where the Police Officer gets a log right through windshield and head? If i remember correctly, there was a resounding "Ooooooooo" (Grimace) from all passengers when that Teen manages to escape all the fire and electrical things in his house, but is then spiked through th eye with the ladder!...Gore is gore, worldwide.

Haha...you see...I thought I'd hate it when I just watched it about 2 months ago...but...much to my dismay...I still loved it...for different reasons of course.

"Your a dead man Ramsey!"

"No wonder you guys never talk!"

You really shouldn't feel guilty about liking something, God forbid people disagree.

Oh well, my "guilty pleasures" are:

Pirates of the Caribbean (score) - movie was popular and very good, no need for it to be guilty...I only say this is a "guilty" pleasure because I don't think anyone else here likes the score

Gilmore Girls - still, not guilty, it's just that stupid people have misconceptions that this is a show for girls, about girly things, where girls have slumber parties and watch their weight and run around chasing boys...too bad for those people, they don't know what they're missing! It's a great, funny, witty show, very great cast, and like I said, it's not guilty, it's just that stupid people make stupid judgements about it

~Sturgis

There are too many un-hip films that I really enjoy to list, i'll go with a top 5:

1. Supergirl

2. Far & Away

3. Bigfoot & The Hendersons - helped along by yet another underrated Bruce Broughton gem!

4. My Fellow Americans

5. Terms Of Endearment

- Tim, deciding that Anchorman is the funniest film i've seen for a long time! Whenever Ron Burgandy finishes his news presentation with the question "I'm Ron Burgandy?" as typed on the teleprompt is just classic! LOL

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Despite my often very vocal expression of dislike for these films, I can still enjoy them if I'm in the mood. They're not totally bad either - the scores and the adult actors are spot-on. And some of the set pieces.

5. Terms Of Endearment  

somehow I don't see this as a guilty pleasure as this was one of the best films of the 80's, unless of course your ashamed of the emotions the film evokes

I don't know how many of you know the Carry On films. They are silly English films, about 30 in all made between the '50s and '70s), each made with the same cast although the films are unrelated plot-wise or character-wise. They all centre around a succession of childish situations jokes and smutty innuendo. I love 'em! My faves are Carry On Cleo (a spoof on Cleopatra-actually filmed on the set of the Elizabeth Taylor film!), Carry On Nurse (a saucy romp in a hospital ward), and Carry On Up the Khyber (an innuendo based on cockney rhyming slang.) Definitely a guilty pleasure.

I don't know how many of you know the Carry On films. They are silly English films, about 30 in all made between the '50s and '70s), each made with the same cast although the films are unrelated plot-wise or character-wise. They all centre around a succession of childish situations jokes and smutty innuendo. I love 'em! My faves are Carry On Cleo (a spoof on Cleopatra-actually filmed on the set of the Elizabeth Taylor film!), Carry On Nurse (a saucy romp in a hospital ward), and Carry On Up the Khyber (an innuendo based on cockney rhyming slang.) Definitely a guilty pleasure.

Here in the UK, we dont feel guilty about watching them. Most of us here grew up on them. So we like the humour .."Oooh....matron". Carry on up the Khyber is so non-PC it couldn't be made nowadays. British actors with black boot polish on their face, playing Pathan tribesmen with dodly dodly accents and waggling heads. Oh the good old black boot polish on face days, when British actors tried to pass themselves off as Chinese/Arabs/and Indians. Truly hilarious. Alec Guiness' Prince Faisal is tops. "Ah yes...Wadi rum...now that's a name i've not heard in a long time"

5. Terms Of Endearment  

somehow I don't see this as a guilty pleasure as this was one of the best films of the 80's, unless of course your ashamed of the emotions the film evokes

Of course i'm ashamed, i'm British, thus I am dreadfully reserved and hide my emotions! ROTFLMAO

Maybe it's different in the US, but the UK press give it a hell of a beating and any film enthusiasts I mention this to scowl and slag James L Brooks off for making a prolonged episode of Eastenders!

- Tim, forgetting to mention Santa Claus: The Movie as another guilty pleasure!

hmm...

Hook - I just like the kiddish style, don't know why... to be honest, I think it's the score that makes the whole experience for me in that movie.

Dude where's my car - It's so stupid and not particulary good, which makes it excellent for evenings when feeling stupid ROTFLMAO

My guilty pleasure is imagining stefan being slowly tortured to death with a hot piece of coal....

funny, as Stefan likes to imagine that about himself as well.

I'm not exactly sure I fully understand the meaning of the term guilty pleasure, but I think I got.

There are some films especially I love that I'm kind of ashamed of admitting. Among them are Babe, Babe 2, the original Revenge Of The Nerds, Chicken Run, Mask, Disney's Pocahontas and (yes, yes) I liked Alexander. None of those films would make it in my personal film top 100 or something, but they reach me on an emotional level. Guilty as hell!

I also love certain musicals. I hardly mention that in the real world, because I'm afraid it sounds so gayish (no offense intended!).

A guilty pleasure is a film that is not considered to be a great film by the masses.

That why Terms of Endearment cannot be a guilty pleasure as it was a huge critical success

while a film like Airport 1975 which is badly acted, has avg productions values, and has a bunch of tv supporting actors in supporting roles, and Gloria Swanson in need of a paycheck, is a true guilty pleasure.

Oh well, my "guilty pleasures" are:

Pirates of the Caribbean (score) - movie was popular and very good, no need for it to be guilty...I only say this is a "guilty" pleasure because I don't think anyone else here likes the score

Gilmore Girls - still, not guilty, it's just that stupid people have misconceptions that this is a show for girls, about girly things, where girls have slumber parties and watch their weight and run around chasing boys...too bad for those people, they don't know what they're missing!  It's a great, funny, witty show, very great cast, and like I said, it's not guilty, it's just that stupid people make stupid judgements about it

I think you could use some guilt. Loads and loads and loads of guilt.... ROTFLMAO

As for another guilty pleasure...I find Star Trek V to be watchable just for the jokes. :|

Justin

Neighbours. Yes, it is cheesy. Yes, it is hilariously unrealistic (the way characters forget their back stories with each other, change behaviour seemingly overnight, have infinite wardrobes, have no, then infinite, then no, then infinite money and so on). And yes, it is Australian. But still, I somehow love it.

I also love certain musicals. I hardly mention that in the real world, because I'm afraid it sounds so gayish (no offense intended!).

Real men admit to what they like and aren't afraid to offend people.

Neil

Neil closed one of your threads today because it was an ego boost about your post count (they are indeed silly, only I should be able to do those)

Your post in this thread is a reaction to that.

Neil's post here is a reaction to your reaction.

And i'm just killing time.