Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

John Crichton

I'm really hoping we won't have to wait forever for the DVDs, Galactica's been bad in the past about that.

1st June in the UK ;)

Is SciFi Wire playing a cruel April Fool's Joke?

http://scifiwire.com/2009/04/bear-mccreary.php

There's a nice video of Bear McCreary conducting and it says

"Catch more behind-the-scenes features when Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series becomes available on DVD and Blu-Ray Hi-Def on July 28, 2009."

The complete series?!? Don't frack with me, just give me 4.5.

Good, that means that 4.5 should be out by that date at the latest. That's not too long.

Funny article, I liked the Firely bit they got in there.

I love how you can tell the music heard is not the music performed. The piece is the same, but you can hear the chain noise he first employed in SCC which he always adds in digitally, not through orchestra.

• 3 weeks later...

So the Caprica pilot has leaked to the internet. I haven't seen the whole thing yet, but I watched the beginning. Literally in the first minute there are completely naked girls making out with each other in some kind of rave bar on Caprica, "58 years before the fall". Interesting.

I skipped through the rest and saw mostly people talking, wearing somewhat funny clothes, and some robots walking around. Looks like a weird sci fi alternate earth type show... VERY different than BSG. No ships flying through space at all.

I've seen nothing so far to make me the slightest bit interested in watching Caprica. The Plan will be the end of my Galactica experience, other than rewatching it over and over on DVD.

It's certainly very different, and the naked ladies are not on Caprica. Some wild and wonderful ideas, and some shocking moments make me want to see what's coming next....bring it on, please!!!

It's certainly very different, and the naked ladies are not on Caprica. Some wild and wonderful ideas, and some shocking moments make me want to see what's coming next....bring it on, please!!!

I agree 100%. It was somewhat slow in parts but always interesting, and extremely thought-provoking - certainly moreso than the BSG finale. Both Eric Stoltz and Esai Morales put in fantastic efforts, with the latter especially pulling off a great performance as Bill Adama's father. His performance was very reminiscent of Edward James Olmos in many scenes, but in an almost subliminal way, not in the overt Razor-flashbacks way. Loved the use of the Adama family theme right at the end.

It also managed to answer one of BSG's loose ends:

Where the centurions' belief in God originated.

I'll be very interested in seeing where this story goes, but unfortunately, with it being a character study without any flashy space battles, it'll probably go the way of so many promising series and get axed before it can really spread its wings.

Thought it was pretty good.

I loved the music when William B. Davis's character was killed. I was still disappointed since I had hoped from more from his character considering how much I loved Davis on The X Files as Cigarette Smoking Man

Bear made a response to one of the comments regarding his Flashback theme resembling Alien.
crock… “I am curious about your use of Goldsmith’s Alien.”

It was an inspiration, but I’d hardly say that I “used” it. :) Actually, Goldsmith and I both derived that specific harmonic language from the French Impressionistic composers Debussy and Ravel. Jerry was the first composer to apply those tonalities to dark, gritty science fiction and, in that, I certainly followed his footsteps, although to a much different effect.

I'm not easily disturbed by such borrowings, but this one actually bothered me immensely during the finale. Moreover, the fact that they both derive it from earlier classical composers is irrelevant. He just shouldn't have devised a theme that is so like one of the most familiar themes of sf film music.

• 2 weeks later...

Caprica was a pleasant surprise. I was not looking forward to it, and I had the lowest expectations, and I came out extremely surprised, excited, and satisfied. I'm ready for more! This is a worthy BSG spinoff!

I recommend it to all.

• 2 weeks later...

The season 4 soundtrack is now up for pre-order on Amazon.com. It's a 2disc set this time and comes out July 21st

http://www.amazon.com/Battlestar-Galactica...3611&sr=1-5

And here's the amazon link for the Caprica OST, which comes out June 16th

http://www.amazon.com/Caprica-Bear-McCrear...4681&sr=1-1

The Amazon page for 4.5 is up, but no release date yet. I like the price. Here's hoping for something July-ish.

As usual, us UK fans get the better deal with BSG release dates and can look forward tio owning the entire series on 1st June.

Can I get a "Hell, Yeah!"?

The season 4 soundtrack is now up for pre-order on Amazon.com. It's a 2disc set this time and comes out July 21st

Well, Amazon just ruined LaLa's big "100th release" announcement. Still, this'll be my first and probably only Galactica CD purchase.

The Amazon page for 4.5 is up, but no release date yet. I like the price. Here's hoping for something July-ish.

As usual, us UK fans get the better deal with BSG release dates and can look forward tio owning the entire series on 1st June.

Can I get a "Hell, Yeah!"?

Dear enemy: May the Lord hate you and all your kind, may you be turned orange in hue, and may your head fall off at an awkward moment.

Well, Amazon just ruined LaLa's big "100th release" announcement. Still, this'll be my first and probably only Galactica CD purchase.

Well, you may want to have the second volume, with 'Allegro' and 'Prelude to War'. Nothing on the other sets, including 4, will beat that!

Is the music of Caprica good?

Yes. Not as good as some of his Battlestar Galactica work, but not notably worse, either.

I thought Caprica was outstanding; can't wait for the series.

• 3 weeks later...

And here's the amazon link for the Caprica OST, which comes out June 16th

http://www.amazon.com/Caprica-Bear-McCrear...4681&sr=1-1

And here's a link to order Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series on DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/Battlestar-Galactica...9600&sr=1-7

And on Blu Ray:

http://www.amazon.com/Battlestar-Galactica...9600&sr=1-6

It's currently scheduled to come out July 28th

51MW5BSeXjL._SS500_.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'll have to skip the concerts (budget), though I am going to Comic-Con this year. Hopefully he'll have some CDs for sale at one of the Galactica Panels.

Some of the best music written for TV.

• 4 weeks later...
Get it a week before any place else does!

Next week at the San Diego Comic Con La La Land Records will be selling copies of our 100th release -- Battlestar Galactica Season 4 -- 2 Disc set! The new cds will be sold exclusively at the House of Blues concert and at the FSM/SAE table!

We are hoping that Bear will be stopping by the booth at some point to sign the cds.

He and the BSG Orchestra WILL be signing copies of the cds at the House of Blues all 3 nights!

Stop by and say "Howdy!" Matt and I will be around. Perhaps we will spill the beans on some of our upcoming projects (copious amounts of booze or gifts usually help).

We want to thank Lukas, Ed, Craig and Taylor for helping us bring this awesome new soundtrack to the fans a week early.

Battlestar Galactica Season 4 goes on sale on our website and every place else July 28, 2009.

See ya there!

MV

from http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cf...1&archive=0

Get it a week before any place else does!

Next week at the San Diego Comic Con La La Land Records will be selling copies of our 100th release -- Battlestar Galactica Season 4 -- 2 Disc set! The new cds will be sold exclusively at the House of Blues concert and at the FSM/SAE table!

We are hoping that Bear will be stopping by the booth at some point to sign the cds.

He and the BSG Orchestra WILL be signing copies of the cds at the House of Blues all 3 nights!

Stop by and say "Howdy!" Matt and I will be around. Perhaps we will spill the beans on some of our upcoming projects (copious amounts of booze or gifts usually help).

We want to thank Lukas, Ed, Craig and Taylor for helping us bring this awesome new soundtrack to the fans a week early.

Battlestar Galactica Season 4 goes on sale on our website and every place else July 28, 2009.

See ya there!

MV

from http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cf...1&archive=0

Fan Bloody Tastic !!!! :lol::)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys - I haven't read through this thread because I'm avoiding spoilers so I apologize if this has already been brought up.

My wife and I have finished season 3 and are ready to move on season 4. Now, we noticed that disc 1 of the season 4 set is a movie called Razor which tells the story of Battlestar Pegasus before it finds Galactica. Now, without giving too much away is it necessary for us to view Razor before we get into episode 1 of season 4 or can we skip it?

Thanks in advance for your help. And if you want to email me instead of cluttering up this thread then please feel free to.

-Erik-

Did you decide to watch it?

Yup! Glad we did. Good movie. We just finished the first 4 episodes of season 4 tonight. Man, episode 1 was something else! Epic! I wish I had a bigger TV...

-Erik-

Yea the big Blu Ray box with the entire series comes out tomorrow too

Kinda wish I A> Had a blu ray player and B> Had $200 lying around I could spend on BSG blu rays ;)

I think I'm going to pick up the Season 4 OST in a couple of weeks from Amazon. Might throw some classic Who in too, it's been a bit since I've gotten any.