The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

By the way, am I the only one who thinks there might be an important plot point in that Rory keeps dying, at least apparently?

Yeah it's either lazy writing, or significant.

So? When you write, you do it on top of what came before, regardless of what you were thinking back then!

Oh sorry, I was being too practical. ;)

So? When you write, you do it on top of what came before, regardless of what you were thinking back then!

Oh sorry, I was being too practical. ;)

Actually I think this is the proof, other than the obvious "they're not killing the main character", that Eleven is going to survive getting shot by the weird astronaut, so there can be new faces after him. Moffat's own timey wimey might betray him at some point.

All that "half-Human" shit is just bollocks, and it's not cannon!

Well if the 8th Doctor is canon, I don't see how this part cannot be?

In the Big Finish audios which are quasi-cannon (depending on who you ask I suppose) in one story McGann said it wasn't true and that he was just going through a bit of amnesia and got confused. He actually gets amnesia quite a bit in the audios so its actually become I suppose a congenital defect of the 8th doctor.

As for Amy, a lot would be resolved with everything if she was

Romana

My.....head.....hurts.....!

Sorry to go a little off topic guys, but I have a nearly-new (still great condition) Region 2 "New Beginnings" box set that I would love to trade for either E-Space Trilogy or the Black Guardian Box.....just putting that out there....pop me a PM.

what are those then?

"New Beginnings" contains the final two Tom Baker stories - "The Keeper of Traken" (which introduces Nyssa - yum - and brings back The Master) and "Logopolis" in which Tegan turns up, and Tom battles The Master and has a bit of an accident...but the way has been prepared....and the final story in the box is "Castrovalva" with Peter Davison and some surprisingly good set design....and Adric gets all tied up.

The Black Guardian trilogy re-introduces an old foe and has two good stories and one OK one, and has several scenes filmed at my old university...the E-Space Trilogy contains 2 good stories and one excellent one....involving vampire bats and an awful, awful lot of blood....

It was a decent romp - entertaining without being amazing....and the cliffhanger was completely spoiled by press and a rather obvious setup....think there might be a surprise or two to come from the conclusion though....."early technology", anyone?

Nestene?

Saw it. Interesting. Maybe not done to its full potential. I like the problem of having the same person exist twice at the same time. How to solve it other than killing?

By the way...

What if one of the two Doctors is the one who dies in The Impossible Astronaut? Or is it too obvious?

I'm looking forward to how they tackle Rory's role in the episode. it's obvious he's feeling empathy for the gangers, seeing as he was an Auton with Rory's memories once upon a time. I'm expecting a payoff scene, I just hope it's written and directed well. Not enough Rory in this show.

Interesting ep with some creepy stuff. I saw the cliffhanger coming a mile away.

What if one of the two Doctors is the one who dies in The Impossible Astronaut? Or is it too obvious?

Certainly possible, though that doctor had memories of future events (Jim The Fish).

Liked the Rory angle. Liked the fact the Doctor knows more then he is saying. Maybe it's the nestene, but they are plastic duplicates, these are almost perfect flesh and blood duplicates. So in a way even as "early technology" they are already better.

The line "I have to get to that cockerel before all hell breaks loose."and then "I never thought I'd get so say that again." Could they be significant to the plot, or it is a reference to The Doctor saying that line once before in an earlier season?

The line "I have to get to that cockerel before all hell breaks loose."and then "I never thought I'd get so say that again." Could they be significant to the plot, or it is a reference to The Doctor saying that line once before in an earlier season?

I think that was a joke.

But he says that it's the second time he's saying it. Meaning at some point he's said it before right?

This episode appears to be a prequel of sorts to the season 2 episode New Earth. The New Humans were also called The Flesh.

Though that story takes place in year five billion and twenty-three in the M87 galaxy.

But he says that it's the second time he's saying it. Meaning at some point he's said it before right?

Yes, but as we (the audience) have never heard him say it before, it's safe to say it was an unrelated event. I think you're reading way too much into this.

Then again, it could be this season's tweed jacket, and end up being hugely important.

Then again, it could be this season's tweed jacket, and end up being hugely important.

Yes, that exactly what I mean!

What is so important about a tweed jacket?

BTW, the mood of the episode reminded me a lot of The Hungy Earth

BTW, the mood of the episode reminded me a lot of The Hungy Earth

I felt the same, but I think this one was way better. I'm really into the "Lost World" kind of stories but The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood was a mess.

Bleh. Did not like. Kept checking the clock to see how much was left. And a whole 'nother second part to go yet. Ugh.

Matthew Graham should NEVER write for Doctor Who again. First Fear Her, now this. Bleh.

I did enjoy Amy in her tight jeans, though. That was about it for me.

Funny you should say that. This is my favourite episode of the season so far. The opening two-parter was very good, but overall unsatisfying due to the sheer amount of unresolved issues at the end. This story is beautifully self contained (at least it seems to be so far!). The atmosphere and make up effects were a little "Waters of Mars", but that's no bad thing. Looking forward to part 2.

For me it's like this:

1) The Doctor's Wife. ***** It only needs these minutes that were cut. Great concept, clearly written by a fan for the fans.

2) The Impossible Astronaut. **** Epic and mysterious. Funny. Brilliant set up.

3) The Rebel Flesh. *** Good sep up. Predictable. Interesting development of Rory: every time they hint at his story as the plastic centurion he's suddenly the best companion in the new series so far.

4) Day of the Moon. *** The hardest kind of episode to evaluate, I just don't know what's on purpose and what's a plot hole. Unsatisfying, but full of great bits anyway.

5) The Curse of the Black Spot. * Boring.

I thought this episode was quite good and definitely had that classic Doctor Who mood. And honestly, after The Doctor's Wife most people are going to be let down by this story so I'll be more interested in what people have to say about this a year from now.

Also, I think "early technology" has to do with the Sontarans. They of course are know for cloning and the whole war aspect really made me get that vibe. I don't know who the Rutans would be in the mix but maybe next week will deliver.

What is so important about a tweed jacket?

The important bit about the tweed jacket goes back to a scene in the 5th season "Flesh and Stone", where the doctor appeared briefly with his jacket on in the middle of a bunch of shots where he had taken it off...there were some saying it was just a gaffe, and some saying that given the things he said whilst wearing the jacket, it might become important later....which turned out to be spot on ("The Big Bang").

Here's the extended trailer for Torchwood: Miracle Day. Much as I love America (my wife is American, and I have now lived here for 13 years!) I am not a huge fan of most American TV. Every now and then we get a terrific show like West Wing, but for the most part it all seems very dull and generic-looking. Especially the sci-fi which always looks terribly cheesy and cheap, and has next to no humour or quirkiness. I'm nervous that Torchwood will look like every other generic US sci-fi show thanks to the involvement of the Starz network, and the fact that all the actors are now sculpted-looking US TV drones. The first three seasons of Torchwood were very realistic in their depiction of the human race. The cast were not all ex-models. Some of them had (shock horror!) a little extra weight! Sometimes a lot! We will see. I'm always excited for new Torchwood, but the American-ness (which is very evident in this trailer) is hard to ignore.

Misgivings aside, it is a very interesting-looking premise!

I was not a fan of the first two seasons of Torchwood, it ranged from okay to freaking awful.

"Children of Earth" was one of the most gripping and brilliantly executed television series I've ever seen.

So I don't really know what to think of this series!

Children of Earth was not just the best series of Torchwood (by a country mile), it was one of the best British sci-fi series ever made IMO. Perhaps the finest British sci-fi miniseries since Quatermass and the Pit back in the late 1950s. Like the greatest science fiction stories it manages to use fantastic elements to highlight very real human flaws and emotions. The show was not about the aliens at all (which were more of a Hitchcockian "MacGuffin") but rather about the reactions from the all-too-human cast of characters. Brilliantly written, and heartstoppingly dramatic. Miracle Day has an impossibly tough act to follow.

One thing I liked about the first 2 seasons of Torchwood it the Welsh-ness of it, for lack of a better word. As Pixie described, fairly ordinary looking people having extraordinary problems. Even the shows lead actress being no typical TV babe (she's hot though).

Moving it to the US will probably change that. So we'll be seeing a lot of perfectly tanned, great looking people with perfect teeth!

Haha one thing I loved in the trailer:

"I'm Welsh". *kicks that chick from Neighbours in the face*

Was she in Neighbours? I thought it was the chick from Dollhouse.

I seem to be in the wrong country to view this!

As for Torchwood. I was not really a fan of the first season. I liked the premise, but not the execution.

The characters seem to be mostly self-obsessed and not very interesting nor in any way likeable. (I liked Gwen, until she started to fool around with Owen).

Its a bad sign if Rhys is the character you are rooting for. ;)

Jack was also very different to the Jack from Doctor Who season 1.

Only at the very end of the season did it look like the characters became interested in each other as people.

The series was trying too hard to be dark...and gritty...and realistic.

Season 2 was a huge improvement, the characters really came to live. Loved the extended arc of Owens dead-but-not-dead state. Jack was a lot more effective a character and the season finale had me in tears.

The series was trying too hard to be dark...and gritty...and realistic.

I didn't get that at all. I thought in their quest for an "adult" sci-fi series they took the "sex and violence" idea of "adult", as opposed to complex and dark concepts. Children of Earth thankfully recitfied that.

Until maybe the last two or three episodes, Torchwood 1 sucked out loud. 2 was considerably better, though not perfect. CoE was BRILLIANCE. So it's hard to really get a grip on what this fourth series will be like. I'm hoping for good-to-great.

Oh I really enjoyed most of Season 1 of Torchwood. Day One, Ghost Machine, Small Worlds and Countrycide were particularly good IMO. I actually preferred it to season 2 overall. Children of Earth blew them both away though.

I don't think there is any doubt that Children of Earth is one of the best pieces of science fiction to appear on television. It was so masterfully done and executed, its hard to believe that Davies was involved. His inconsistency really bugged me, as CoE as well as Midnight and others showed he could handled the show properly, yet he always reverted back to his comfort zone of camp and overindulgence. Ultimately, the first two seasons of Torchwood exhibit this perfectly, as the quality varies greatly over the course of the seasons. The whole "everyone's bi-sexual" thing really bugged me and show how Davies was more concerned about his so-called agenda than putting on a quality product. That being said, I agree that there were definitely good episodes throughout both seasons, though 2 definitely had a better ratio.

As for this week's episode, I'm looking forward to see where they are going. I'm definitely getting the Sontaran vibe from the whole clone aspect as well as the design of the acid suits, though that may just be coincidence. I love Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes so I have faith that Graham will deliver. I definitely got a classic kind of Tom Baker vibe from the episode, so we'll see where it goes.

Spoiler regarding the mid-season finale....

It's been confirmed that "A Good Man Goes To War" on 4th June sees the return of the Silurians and the Cybermen

....and this coming episode features a major surprise or two....can't wait!