The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

You know, the later JNT years and the TV movie may have been mediocre at best, but at least the Doctor himself was still well cast (well, alright, I like him, but McCoy is debatable). Colin Baker is my favorite Doctor based solely on the strength and brilliance of his later audio drama performances for Big Finish.

You know, the later JNT years and the TV movie may have been mediocre at best, but at least the Doctor himself was still well cast (well, alright, I like him, but McCoy is debatable). Colin Baker is my favorite Doctor based solely on the strength and brilliance of his later audio drama performances for Big Finish.

I certainly don't dislike Colin Baker's portrayal, but overall I find his approach to be too stagey. He always came across as an actor portraying a character, rather than a fully fledged character. Mind you, maybe that "staginess" was part of the 6th Doctor's personality...

Rotten Colin Baker moments: All those dreadful soap-opera scenes with Peri in the Tardis, usually silly pointless arguments in which she accuses him of burning the dinner (the Doctor cooks??? He's supposed to press a button on a machine and cool pills pop out that taste like food!) and the Doctor uses pompous and needlessly lengthy words to assert his dominance. The Doctor calling the Valeyard various silly names during the trial.

Good Colin Baker moments: "I am the Doctor, whether you like it or not." The Trial scene where the Doctor says "Daleks, sontarans, cybermen... They're still in the nursery compared to us!" That last speech is one of the few times when I actually really believe that Colin Baker IS the Doctor. Great!

Rotten Colin Baker moments: Peri.

Post fixed ;)

Yes - there were some rather good moments during the courtroom stuff in Trial of a Timelord...the silly name-calling aside...Colin Baker was finally given something to chew on...and chew on it he did....

What a trailer! Is that the 9th/10th Doctor's Tardis interior we see in one shot? Just who is that voice? The truth about River revealed... I can't wait. This is going to be awesome!

Allegedly the Paul McGann doctor will be appearing in the new series at some point, a bit redesigned.

That might explain why the previous TARDIS is there. Of course, they may just be witnessing Tennant or Eccelston's regeneration as well. Perhaps they fell through a crack in time?

Damn that trailer looks good.

I really hope the astounding hype over River's identity will pay off. Especially since the mystery has been with us since series 4.

BTW, I don't suppose anyone else ordered the Christmas Carol CD from Silva Screen? It's now been over a week since release and I haven't received mine, despite a dispatch e-mail.

I don't see that much mistery there. The interesting aspect about the character has always been that Doctor didn't know her and she did. Other than that, Moffat said that River could remember the Doctor in the Big Bang at the end "because of who she is", which I don't think is a matter of indentity rather than one of wibbly wobbly stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Allegedly the Paul McGann doctor will be appearing in the new series at some point, a bit redesigned.

That might explain why the previous TARDIS is there. Of course, they may just be witnessing Tennant or Eccelston's regeneration as well. Perhaps they fell through a crack in time?

I knew Amy's crack would come into it, somewhere. ;) I've just about had enough of Amy's crack. It's enough to make you pine for Tom Baker...almost.

I personally like the idea of an overarching story. The Doctor wanders aimlessly enough for no real reason other than adventure, at least their is some driving purpose.

BTW, Tom Baker had two overarching stories: The Key to Time (6 stories over an entire season) and the E-Space trilogy. :yes:

She was my first Doctor Who companion when I started watching during Pertwee's final season. As a small child I absolutely fell in love with her, and that feeling never quite went away. I got to meet her briefly at a video signing when K9 and Company got released on VHS back in the mid 90s. She was as beautiful and charming in person as she was on screen. I am really cut up about this news.

She was wonderful in the Sarah Jane Adventures. I'm so glad she was able to make those episodes before she died. She finally received the love and adoration from children of all ages that both she and the character she created deserved.

Sad news. I much expected Tom Baker to go before her. She seemed liked she still had a lot of energy during Sarah Jane last season. Hopefully the tribute for her and the brig will be good on Saturday.

Fairly shocking news. I only saw her in her Doctor Who cameos but I had no idea she was ill. RIP.

On a more positive note, the new series starts on Saturday and set in one of my favourite areas of the US :)

Yeah - it's nearly here! I hope somehow they mention the brig and ES in a credits tribute or something - would be nice (if it's not too late to put it in, though I know this episode has already screened in previews etc)....but I have to say with all the threads left unanswered from last season, and all the tidbits coming out of the actors, this might be my most highly anticipated season yet....

The BBC has apparently confirmed a tribute caption of some kind at the beginning of this week's episode for Elisabeth Sladen. I really, really hope they include something for Nicholas Courtney, he's just as much a huge loss to the Who universe as Elisabeth Sladen.

I am somewhat gladdened by the news that 3 stories (i.e. 6 separate episodes) from Series 5 of The Sarah Jane Adventures were filmed (alongside Series 4), so at least we'll have a little bit more Sarah Jane to see in the coming months.

Oh, and there's a 15-minute Elisabeth Sladen/Sarah Jane Smith tribute program airing on CBBC on Saturday after Doctor Who ends and before Confidential begins.

Thanks for the heads up.....knowing the BBC it will be done with affection and a touch of panache....for the first time since my daughter hit 7, I will tune in to CBBC!

Edit - Woah! Just watched "Kinda" with the CGI Effects option on....this story made me practically shit myself all those years ago even WITH the bouncy castle at the end......and here I go - almost having to change my trousers all over gain......at 36.....fuuuuuuu.....very, very well done!!!! I'm going to have nightmares.....

Don't forget, US viewers can tune in to CBS tonight as Karen Gillan :wub: is on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. 12:35am ET/11:35pm CT.

From the description of her attire one audience member at the taping gave on the Gallifrey Base messageboard... should be very nice viewing for Karen Gillan fans! ;)

So what did we all think of The Impossible Astronaut? Is everyone else as shellshocked as me, and that's why no one's posted anything yet? Very creepy episode. The monsters are very well done (with a hint of the dementors from Harry Potter in the bathroom scene!). It was a very bold move to open the episode (and the season!) with such a shocking event on the beach (no spoilers!), but I'm not sure it was a wise move so early into the season, before we've had a chance to settle back into our rhythm so to speak. Especially as the Doctor seemed to be (understandably) out of character for most of the episode (a little too grouchy). Also, Doctor Who in the US always feels a bit odd too (as the 1996 TV movie proved). It feels like it's veering dangerously into X-Files territory, which is NOT a place Dr Who wants to go IMO. Having said that, the episode flew by! Can't wait for part two. (And I hope they don't stay in America for too long!)

Now THAT is what I call a season opener.

I'm guessing Moffat does not want us to settle into the new season with our feet up, but rather glue us to the screen.

weird, wonderful, a bit creepy with so many questions and possibilities!

This is not your father's Doctor Who!

It was a very bold move to open the episode (and the season!) with such a shocking event on the beach (no spoilers!),

And rather clever.

but I'm not sure it was a wise move so early into the season, before we've had a chance to settle back into our rhythm so to speak.

Again. I'm not sure that the intention is to make us feel we are back in the Doctor's comfortable little world.

Especially as the Doctor seemed to be (understandably) out of character for most of the episode (a little too grouchy).

I rather aproved of it. Everyone is acting "off" because of what they know, and are not telling him.

Also, Doctor Who in the US always feels a bit odd too (as the 1996 TV movie proved).

And yet with Area 51, and so many alien stories, it seems like a good place to visit.

It feels like it's veering dangerously into X-Files territory, which is NOT a place Dr Who wants to go IMO. Having said that, the episode flew by! Can't wait for part two. (And I hope they don't stay in America for too long!)

Does The Doctor ever stay anywhere long?

You are sounding a bit....pensive, if I may say.

I'm guessing that the little girl is either Amy's child or a very young River Song Or Moffat wants us to believe one of either, since he has River talking about meeting the Doctor as a young girl, and Amy just announced she's with child... It's all so wibbly wobbly, timey, whimey

BTW, that structure River and Rory ended up in, it looked a bit like that Tardis like machine from the Lodger.

The more I think about it, the sight of that astronaut, that little girl in side. The first we ever saw of River Song was in a white space suit in Silence In The Library.

Hmmm....this season is supposed to be about The Silence, and River first appeared in an episode titled Silence In The Library

Okay Steef, your theories are very good. Something tells me you may be onto something. Yes I'm a little pensive, but I just rewatched the episode today and it really is very good. I'm still pumped for a great season.

Wow, that was great. I'm going to go watch it again.

Some observations (spoilers)

That is definitely the makeshift TARDIS from the Lodger.

The creepy new aliens are called "Silents". Awesome. They are the best new villains since the Angels (not that there's been many original ones since...)

Loved the callbacks to the Library two-parter. And agree with your observation Steef re: "Silence in the Library". Wonder if the events of those episodes will be picked up again at some point...

This one was a lot cheekier in its humor as well. Some pretty obvious innuendo (River's a screamer...). Loved "The legs, the nose and Mrs Robinson". Gold!

Great cliffhanger, but somewhat spoiled by the "next time" preview. Gotta make a mental note not to watch them from now on.

Can't wait for next week!

Nice opener, and some fantastic writing.

I would say though, that the

"main character apparently killed right at the start" plot device really doesn't work for me. It's stupendously obvious there's some sort of twist to bring him back, which makes it hard to make an emotional connection to the death.

"main character apparently killed right at the start" plot device really doesn't work for me. It's stupendously obvious there's some sort of twist to bring him back, which makes it hard to make an emotional connection to the death.

Of course there's gonna be a plot twist to bring him back. I don't think there's ever any doubt about that, nor are we seriously to believe that it won't be averted in some way. (well the little children might be wondering)

What that first scene does is create an uncomfortable tension between the characters. I like how there is now a sort of rift between Amy and River. Amy, who can't accept that the Doctor will die, and River, who accepts that some things cannot be changed, and the Doctor's death might be one of them.

I also wonder if the way Amy regards the Doctor has been altered forever. In a way it is a very cruel thing what the 1103 year old Doctor has done, at least from her point of view.

Rather liked Rory in this one. And the new character, Canton Everett Delaware III played by BSG's Mark Sheppard.

The American setting pays of. The scene at the lake looks positively epic, and it's rather strange to see classic americana sci-fi standards like Area 51 like Aliens and 50's style roadside diners in Doctor Who. It gives everything that slightly off-kilter feeling that Pixie is responding so heavily too.

I don't find the new enemies particularly scary but they are so cool! And why do they wear suits? I like that :)

Among other things I like the mystery of the astronaut in the lake and that. I can't wait to see how it all ties together.

I don't find the new enemies particularly scary but they are so cool! And why do they wear suits? I like that :)

Among other things I like the mystery of the astronaut in the lake and that. I can't wait to see how it all ties together.

To me it looked like they weren't exactly "wearing" suits, but were somehow emulating a suit. The suit looked rather "formed" and artificial, sorry I'm not describing it well, but look at it when they're in closeup. The material of the suit is kind of wet and/or shiny looking. Not very fabric-y. At least IMHO. As if it was their attempt at crafting a suit of some kind.

You don't have to spoiler-block an episode that has already aired. If people follow the show but haven't seen the most recent episode, they aren't going to be reading this thread until they have!

Before I believe the SJA comment I would like to see some sort of explanation. I'd rathe they didn't just ignore 35-odd years of Dr Who mythology without a good explanation. Especially when it's the 13-life-limit that's caused the Master to start stealing other peoples bodies and regeneration cycles for the last 30 years!