What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

Oh no, I've insulted Joey (king of exaggeration) and his favorite movie genre: the mindless blockbuster. Sure, my comment is exaggerated but I'm tired of these soulless, uninspiring, unstimulating, faceless, run-of-the-mill films with not an ounce of originality. Ah well, mediocricity attracts mediocrity.

Alex

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Superman Returns made me appriciate Superman The Movie a lot more. That's also far from a perfect movie, but when I'm watching that, I'm trhouroughly entertained, and I don't feel depressed and cheated when it finishes.

Damn good score too. ;)

Halloween II

Starts directly were the genre classic ended, and goes pretty much downhill from there.

Director Rick Rosenthal tries to stay within the same style as John Carpenter, but does not manage to capture that same feeling of death lurking in the corners.

The original Film showed as little as possible of it's killer Michael Meyers, and when we did see him, he was buried in darkness, right at the edge of the widescreen picture.

In the sequel he's pretty much the star, so he's often in the middle of the frame. Death count has gone up, and so has the gore factor, this film is afterall of the early 80's, when the silent killer and dead teenager films were hugely successfull.

Most notable deaths are a naked chick being trown headfirst into a bath of boiling water and a nurse being stabbed in the eye with a syringe.

Jamie Lee Curtis returns to the role that made her famous, but is unable to give any new dimension to her character, since for the first half she's out cold in a hospital bed, and the second part she's just running for Meyers, who turns out to be her brother in a shallow attempt by screenwriter Carpenter to give The Shape a reason for trying to butcher her.

Donald Pleasance is again Dr.Loomis uttering dire threats about Michael Meyers.

The score, also by Carpenter and Alan Howarth relies heavily on the themes from the first one, sounds a little more polished, but also looses some of the first score's simplistic effectiveness.

A few scares, a few cool deaths, but no story worth writing home about, or characters to root for.

*1/2 out of ****

Halloween 4: The Return Of Michael Meyers

The Shape didn't die in the last film afterall, and neather did Donald Pleasance, who sports a scar on his face that reminded me of his stint as Blofeld.

After the critical and financial failure of part III, which tried to take the series in a new direction, Michael Meyers once again escapes and returns to Haddonsfield, this time not to kill his sister, but his sisters daughter. Old Donald once again follows the trail of bodies, uttering warning about how michael is not human and pure evil...etc...etc...

All of this sounds pointless...and ridiculous. And I suppose it is pointless. But the film is actually fairly well made, for this slasher genre. There's a nice tense atmosphere thoughout and the performances are decent.

Direction is adequate yet workman-like, music by Alan Howarth is effective.

The best thing about the film is it's surprise ending though, which is a really nice send-off, and a nice wink to Carpenters original.

**1/2 out of ****

Thank You For Smoking. Love it. Never lags. Constantly funny. Performance of a life time for Aaron Eckhart. At least half a dozen wonderful supporting performances. Good look. All coming out of a genuinly funny and worked-out screenplay. One of the few comedies in recent years that I would count among my favorites.

***1/2/****.

He is. Good Lord he is.

I was a fan of Returns, but it did have its problems (ones that Singer apparently acknowledges).

I was a fan of Returns, but it did have its problems (ones that Singer apparently acknowledges).

Interesting, I hadn't seen that. Do you have a specific article to link to?

There isn't a specific article. However, Singer has used an analogy to Wrath of Khan, in that the franchise would get better once it was "broken in".

You could say that again.

I saw Stardust recently. Very, very mediocre.

DeNiro has a great couple of minutes in it though.

I enjoyed it very much. But, then again, I'm a huge Neil Gaiman fan. And DeNiro was very funny.

Not exactly, but certainly not touted as anything special. 75% tomatometer. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/stardust/?...32&page=all

Certainly nothing you'd be interested in, unless you're amused by the concept of DeNiro playing a gay pirate.

Morlock- who's gonna finally watch Chinatown Properly tonight.

Oh no, I've insulted Joey (king of exaggeration) and his favorite movie genre: the mindless blockbuster. Sure, my comment is exaggerated but I'm tired of these soulless, uninspiring, unstimulating, faceless, run-of-the-mill films with not an ounce of originality. Ah well, mediocricity attracts mediocrity.

Alex

you just described blade runner.

Michael Clayton. Unbelievably great cinema. I was engaged the entire time. One of the best of the year. **** out of ****

you saw a different film than I did, the only thing great was Clooney, the storytelling was a disaster, there was no drama, no tension, because the hack director chose to tell the story bassakwards

While I didn't feel as negatively as you did....I was not terribly impressed by the film either. Never grabbed me. Clooney was good, but Tilda Swinton's character, I thought, was not good, and Sydney Pollack gave a weak version of his excellent character in Changing Lanes. The whole 'soulless corporate world' angle didn't get to me at all.

You wish!

And how can the most inspiring sci-fi film of the last 25 years be called uninspiring? Really Joey, it's comments like these that make you sound like a farce. How anyone can be so unaware is a mystery to me.

But Supergirl has no pretensions of being a real movie, Superman Returns does.

You think? :)

The Usual Suspects was a real film.

Superman Returns has no significance. It did not contribute anything to the genre and it failed in what it sought to do, namely, to entertain. Of course, the very young might still get something out of it.

Bryan Singer's previous attempts to entertain were more successful.

Oh, I certainly agree. But I do think that Singer had more pretentions of grandeur with his super-movie than the Salkinds did with their movie.

You wish!

And how can the most inspiring sci-fi film of the last 25 years be called uninspiring? Really Joey, it's comments like these that make you sound like a farce. How anyone can be so unaware is a mystery to me.

But Supergirl has no pretensions of being a real movie, Superman Returns does.

You think? :)

The Usual Suspects was a real film.

good one Alex, that made me laugh, the most inspiring, what a crock, inspired to what? snooze, not live in such a bleak darkly lit future, Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

the usual suspect was a real film, Superman Returns was a digitization, not a film at all.

the usual suspect also gave itself away, so that the surprise ending wasn't, at least to some who paid attention

I would be in serious trouble if someone said, "I love Titanic, Potter, Superman Returns ... and Blade Runner!"

Hahahaha, that wouldn't make sense.

Hahahahaha!

I would be in serious trouble if someone said, "I love Titanic, Potter, Superman Returns ... and Blade Runner!"

Hahahaha, that wouldn't make sense.

Hahahahaha!

coming from the man who also liked the Hulk, palease.

coming from the man who also liked the Hulk, palease.

Sure I like Hulk. It was braver, more intriguing and more original than Superman Returns which was tame and lame. The film played it too safe for me. Please Supes, show me something I don't already know.

Hulk was a disaster, complete and utterly but why it appeals to you Euros, I don't know.

it was so respectful that Universal is redoing it because the first sucked so bad, and sadly for Nick Nolte he's forever linked to his characters' getup for his drunk driving.

The Incredible Hulk will be a much better movie.

Hulk was a disaster, complete and utterly but why it appeals to you Euros, I don't know.

Because we don't need bars and stripes and fanfares to think something is heroic? Or maybe it's not a geographical thing, and we are just people who enjoyed the subtext.

I don't like Lewis and have never seen a Chaplin or Keaton movie (except for Batman, which I do not like). *

So much for stereotypes.

*Please disregard if you weren't referring to Charlie Chaplin and Michael Keaton.

Halloween 3: Season Of The Witch.

The story is unrelated to the brilliant first film and the dissapointing second one, though Producer Carpenter rather shamelessly has his original play on a TV screen in this film not once but twice.

The structure and story reminds of The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits, a rather far out plot of a rich industrialist planning to kill millions of children with Halloween masks that will blow their heads of.

A few gory scenes that are to over the top to be really scary.

The film is not without it's campy 80's charm but it feels like a long TV episode, not a real movie.

** out of ****