I'm listening to the first track of ROTS

Romão

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tongue in cheek and all Alan, since you and I both were among the first detractors of AOTC, all I can say is this is no AOTC, Thank God.

Sarcasm aside, yes, Joe, I do agree that the album we have here is a strong one. There are a few duds -- Track 7, 8 -- and a track that completely baffles -- Track 15 -- but on the whole the music has a strong emotional pull to it that rivals or exceeds some of the best moments of Episode I.

Sarcasm aside, yes, Joe, I do agree that the album we have here is a strong one.  There are a few duds -- Track 7, 8 -- and a track that completely baffles -- Track 15 -- but on the whole the music has a strong emotional pull to it that rivals or exceeds some of the best moments of Episode I.

Would you not wanna let the music sink in before you compare it to a score you have known for 5 years?

Sarcasm aside, yes, Joe, I do agree that the album we have here is a strong one.  There are a few duds -- Track 7, 8 -- and a track that completely baffles -- Track 15 -- but on the whole the music has a strong emotional pull to it that rivals or exceeds some of the best moments of Episode I.

Would you not wanna let the music sink in before you compare it to a score you have known for 5 years?

That makes sense, but no. I've gotten used to revising and re-revising my opinions as I go along over the years, so I have no problem with doing that again.

Track 7 is the "Anderton's Great Escape" of this album. It represents everything that's wrong with John Williams's action writing today. Fortunately, we have other tracks on the album that represent everything that's right with John Williams's action writing today. :baaa:

And Track 8 is one of those atmospheric, meandering tracks that Williams could probably pen in his sleep.

The blatant re-use of previous music from the saga in Tracks 9 and 14 is a little annoying at first, but I suppose Williams has earned the right mine the treasures that he himself planted. He does alter them somewhat, I guess.

I don't think he has a right to undermine the emotional punch of one of the great scenes of the original trilogy, though (yes, I'm referring to the Throne Room music in Track 15).

Track 7 is one that won't download for me. I do like Anderton's Great Escape although I can't argue he's breaking new ground or that it doesn't bare similarities to other tracks he's written.

Its hard for me to see JW making the decision to go back to the stuff from ESB for track 9. Here again, I?m guessing Lucas wanted to make some connection to the earlier films. Sort of like he does with repeating the same dialog from the original triology in the prequels. If you?ve ever heard him talk about it, he seems to pat himself on the back a lot for that kind of thing.

Track 13 seems to hint at the motif that?s used in the very good unreased cue to the confession

scene in AOTC. That?s the more subtle kind of reusage that I?m inclined to associate with

Williams.

The precedent that we know about would be to compare the Return of the Jedi track when JW

had a go at it and the more literal lifting of Star Wars music that we heard after Lucas had his

say.

- Adam

Does not everybodies know that illigal downloading is illigal and against laws.

You are terrible disrespectfull to the composer John Williams, who did the wonderfull musik of The Patriot, Indiana Jones and 1941.

Franz

Franz, I think it's safe to say all of us on this board will be BUYING the official soundtrack when it's release a couple weeks from now.

And I have a hard time taking morality lessons from someone who uses Amon Goeth as their avatar.

There is no way the opening titles will end the way they do on this album, with that abrupt cut. That's another part of music from elsewhere in the film. From the recording session notes, "Revenge of the Sith"- 6M9- Underscores at least part of the Big Duel, the new theme is heavily featured. More heavy percussion, and will have a choral element to be recorded later. Statements of the Force Theme, and a crecendo of drums that suddenly cut out for a 'shocking event'". There is a cut at 3:15. Perhaps that is back to the space battle, but I think it may be a cut to "Another Happy Landing", which is why the Grievous theme appears.

Neil

Track 7 is the "Anderton's Great Escape" of this album.  It represents everything that's wrong with John Williams's action writing today.  

It's not as bad as Jango's Escape though.

Palpatine's Teachings seems to have the male choir belching for it's first minute....

Does not everybodies know that illigal downloading is illigal and against laws.

You are terrible disrespectfull to the composer John Williams, who did the wonderfull musik of The Patriot, Indiana Jones and 1941.

Franz

I can see it now,the first big JWfan live reunion...in prison!

K.M.

So far I do like it a lot.,especially Battle of the Heroes.On first listen I thought it was a bit disjointed,and going off in a akward direction melodically at 1.02,but after a few listens I like it a lot.Anakin vs Obi Wan is mosly good,except I would have prefered that Williams did not lift passages from the ESB score.Why not new suspenceful renditions of the Imperial March instead?The opening action cue is also solid,sounding similar to Harry Potter action cues

(replace Hedwig's Theme by The Force theme),but in some parts it gets a bit generic.The opening part of Track 15 is terrific and emotionnal,it's nice to hear NEW variations of these themes after so long,but I'll probably be hitting the skip button for the rest of it from now on after the Battle of the Heroes section.

now to the rest...

K.M.

Franz, I think it's safe to say all of us on this board will be BUYING the official soundtrack when it's release a couple weeks from now.

Or have in fact already paid for it via pre-order....they'll be getting my money, more than once too, since I'm buying my brother it for his birthday.

Just starting it up now...

ttbk, Anakin's Dream

Well, I'm listening to the entire thing right now... and I'm pretty impressed. There's real emotional struggle in most of the tracks. Williams seems fully engaged by the source. "Anakin's Betrayal" is magnificent.

I'll come back later with more impressions... :D

:music: "Palpatine's Teachings"

I just listened to the whole thing and I'm very pleased. I think track 10 ("Anikin's Dark Deeds" I think) is absolutely heartwrenching. I love it. "A New Hope/End Credits" is simply wonderful, exactly the kind of ending I would expect from the final composition for the Star Wars saga. I love the "Battle of the Heros" theme whenever used. I am very pleased with this score.

"Padme's Ruminations" wouldn't download for me.

~Sturgis

I kinda like this performance of The Throne Room, but it really has no place in this score, and the sudden jump to the final part of the Star Wars concert End Titles music is just painfull.

Also, why is there no "kickass" rendition of The Emperial March on this CD?

King Marks' Comments

Coming Soon

Tonight

At this MB

To be continued....

K.M.Who must begin his pilgrimage to his mom's for his supper...with his ipod loaded up with RotS.

Also, why is there no "kickass" rendition of The Imperial March on this CD?

So the first big rendition of it will be in ESB? Williams is, of course, pretending Lucas didn't have him insert it into AOTC....

ttbk, thinking out loud...

There's no Emperor's Theme on the OST either, despite the fact that we know it plays a large role in the score. And anyone else feel like there should be more to the Big Duel and Finale sequence (not counting Grievous Talks... since that's out of order)? Much great music remains unreleased, methinks.

Still, we did get Lament. :music:

The Emperor's theme gets a very brief rendition.

I forgot were, but it's definatly there.

OK, I must have glazed over that. Probably in Palpatine's Teachings. Still, considering it's Palpy's movie you'd think there'd be more on the OST, but I'm confident there's still plenty of it in the film.

And by the way, I don't know if anyone is still paying any attention to the thread at MF.com, but we've been referred to by the same person over there as "anal" and "the kids at JWFan.net". :roll:

The Imperial March stuff in 'Obi-Wan vs. Anakin' was pretty powerful stuff but not in it's 'march' form; it staggered as in TESB.

What, then, is the most 'kick ass' version of The Imperial March from the entire series in everyone's opinion? I don't know how JW would have gone about topping his version at the end of AOTC.

I'm assuming this is part of the chrono. order:

Star Wars & the Revenge of the Sith

Anakin's Dream

Palpatine's Teachings

Anakin's Betrayal

Anakin's Dark Deeds

Anakin vs. Obi-Wan

The Immolation Scene

Enter Lord Vader & Padme's Destiny

Birth of the Twins

Those of you familiar with the script/plot, any idea where the other tracks fill in? (obviously best guess)