War of the Worlds cover...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool cover. I like that picture. Here's hoping for no (or at least minimal) crappy edits.

!

Nope,I'm sure that we'll get all the important cues,plus tons of music that won't even be used in the film.It's not Sony Classical.

K.M.

It's The Big Lebowski with aliens.

Hmm...I don't like it a whole lot. I just don't like that alien hand. It doesn't look very much like Spielberg. What's beyond the cover better be worth it, though. (Though I'm not expecting another breakthrough score like Raiders and ET and Jaws).

Williams had to hurry his ass to write this score.Hopefully,if he went on atuto pilot,he did so in his 80's mode.

K.M.

Nope,I'm sure that we'll get all the important cues,plus tons of music that won't even be used in the film.It's not Sony Classical.

Good point. I forgot about that. This one's Decca, right?

Indeed.

Ray Barnsbury

I say that because he had to hurry to write The Terminal last year,and a lot "classic" Williams writing turned up in there.Well classic in his whimsical light comedy mode,which is not my favourite,but apply that to his adventure mode for WotW.

k.M.

Yeah, I hope you're right. I read somewhere that the film has something like ten action sequences (:devil:), so there's likely to be a lot of action music. Whether it's "fun"/thematic action music a la SW, Indy, SS, Hook, PoA, etc or more rhythmic-based like MR, AotC, and RotS remains to be seen. The former would be very welcome, but I wouldn't be surprised to get the latter.

Ray Barnsbury

I'm hoping for some good military-esque action march music for the fighter-plane attack on the aliens

The first Star Wars film was followed by Williams doing a Spielberg earthbound sci-fi film, Close Encounters. So it seems fitting that the last Star Wars film is followed by a Spielberg earthbound sci-fi film. The short clips make me think even more of Close Encounters, also. I guess the aliens will be a little less friendly this time.

- Adam

In Coe3K the aliens seem evil (Barry's Abduction,...)untill it turns out they are friendly at the end.Maybe in the beginning of WotW we will think the aliens are friendly untill they turn out to be evil.So the score could start warmly with "awe inspiring" manifestations of the aliens and turn dissonant as they unleash their destructive power.

K.M.

Indeed.

Ray Barnsbury

I say that because he had to hurry to write The Terminal last year,and a lot "classic" Williams writing turned up in there.Well classic in his whimsical light comedy mode,which is not my favourite,but apply that to his adventure mode for WotW.

k.M.

Good comment.

I also think this movie will have been more interesting for Williams to score.

the cover looks nice...

It fits the original novel well. And I like the old fashioned Ben-Hur like capitals.

Looks good to me - just a shame that us in the UK have to wait a week longer than everyone else to get our greasy mitts on it!!

Greg - who is looking forward to this movie just as much as he looking forward to ROTS... :devil:

Williams had to hurry his ass to write this score.Hopefully,if he went on atuto pilot,he did so in his 80's mode.

K.M.

no he didn't, he's had since February to write the music, quit freaking out over a time limit that didn't happen.

I hope it has either the Orson Welles or Richard Burton voiceover.

Hitch, who has been missing for the last 3 weeks. Did I miss anything?

I hope it has either the Orson Welles or Richard Burton voiceover.

I dearly hope NOT!!! I would consider it a massive, massive mistake to rip off earlier versions of the work - radio plays or otherwise.....paying "homage" to earlier incarnations is fine (and Spielberg has done so) - but one of those voiceovers??? Nooooo.....absolutely not......

Yeah, I hope you're right. I read somewhere that the film has something like ten action sequences  

***spoilers***

I read that too, supposedly in one of them Dakota Fanning is being stalked by an alien, and Tom Cruise gets on a forklift while wearing a dirty tank top and fights it to the death, at one point telling it, get away from her you bit**!

great cover, much better than way below average Struzan cover.

Music From The Motion Picture....does that imply non-JW music included on the album?

Justin

Certainly not, i can think of HP scores, 'Music from and inspired by' and it's all score.

I think the Tomb Radier album had the same label, and little (if any) score...

Listening to Close Encounters of the Third Kind right now. If War of the Worlds is anything as good as this, I'll be one happy puppy. And I love the cover, by the way. I couldn't think of anything more epic looking.

Judging from the tracklist, there'll be quite a few action sequences

I'm interested in what the prologue is going to be

Max

14-The Reunion

15-Epilogue

I can hear the massive orchestral swell already.

I'd rather have extra score cues than the End Credits,since we can get those off the DVD.

k.M.

I am very excited. I have a feeling like a lot of Speilberg SciFi, the actual music will be a little atonal and complex in the first half, and then into the second half we will hear more of a lyrical theme. I could be way off! But, it wouldn't surprise me.

Watching the trailer the movie looks like a mixture of CEOT3K (family, normal guy in extreme situation, aliens...) and JP (action scenes, darkness, rain...). I´m really excited (Spielberg is my favourite director). After watching ROTS I was thinking that it would pass a lot of time until I saw a film that was gonna excited me a lot in the cinema, but maybe I was wrong...