What is the last score you listened to?

HPFAN_2

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately so....Kamen's could have been so much better.

Morlock- who loves Powell and thinks his score is terrific, but sees so much unfulfilled potential in Kamen's work

I found Kamen's score merely serviceable, nothing more. Ottman's effort was at times highly serviceable and therefore fares better than Kamen's. Now the Powell, to my surprise, was really good and makes for a good album as well.

In short: In my opinion, the scores have gotten better with each installment of the series.

I found Kamen's score merely serviceable, nothing more. Ottman's effort was at times highly serviceable and therefore fares better than Kamen's. Now the Powell, to my surprise, was really good and makes for a good album as well.

In short: In my opinion, the scores have gotten better with each installment of the series.

I actually like Kamen's over Ottmans. If I had to place the X-MEN scores in order from best to worst this would be my choice..

X-MEN: The Last Stand

X-MEN

X-2: X-MEN United.

While I like Ottman's music but to me I always thought that X-2 never stood up to Kamen's and Powell's scores.

There were a few scenes where Ottman's score really did something for the movie. I can't find something like that in the first part.

As for the X3 movie, and I've said this before: It has several flaws, but it also gets several things right the first two didn't. I've enjoyed them all, but at the same time I do think some of the high praise the first two movies get is quite exaggerated.

Kamen never had the chance to do anything good because Singer never wanted him in the first place according to sources. Ottman's score just screams temp track.

• 2 weeks later...
Desplat's The Painted Veil. I just can't get enough of 'Kitty's Theme'.

I can subscribe to this. ;) I also love "River Waltz".

I don't know, Desplat's waltzes in Girl With A Pearl Earing spoiled me, it'll take a really spectacular waltz of his to grab me. Maybe with time.

There were a few scenes where Ottman's score really did something for the movie. I can't find something like that in the first part.

When I watched the 2 films back-to-back I noticed how much more up front the second one was mixed.

Sabrina: Without the songs and the muzak tracks, this score is actually pretty good (and much shorter too).

Close Encounters Special Edition: Just put on track 7 (Chasing UFOS) and listen to what is perhaps Williams' most menacing cue ever. While listening to the whole soundtrack it becomes clear to me that this is Williams at his highest peak. The music presented on the SE is more fragmented than the previous release but I find it a more balanced listen. The sound, remastered by Shawn Murphy, is phenomanal. Why doesn't Star Wars SE sound like this?

Alex

Close Encounters could be Williams' greatest score, IMO. It gets better every time I listen to it - and for me it's certainly his best in terms of how it works in the film.

It's a shame it went against Star Wars. I know I keep bringing it up but "Barry's Abduction" is still a chilling cue.

The finale is perhaps Williams' greatest, along with E.T.

Sabrina: Without the songs and the muzak tracks, this score is actually pretty good (and much shorter too).

Only Williams score I have in which there's nothing I like. I do kind of like the Sting song.....but only because 'Make Me Rainbows' is such a wonderful song.

Only Williams score I have in which there's nothing I like.

I once thought so too but now I somehow connect to it (again, without the songs and muzak). But I understand you, Sabrina sorta belongs to the Stanley And Iris, The Accidental Tourist category, albeit more romantically extrovert.

The sound, remastered by Shawn Murphy, is phenomanal. Why doesn't Star Wars SE sound like this?

Was he invovled in the SEs? But he does seem to do better with old recordings than new ones, he remastered everything on the SW music DVD and it all sounds better than ever, especially the OT stuff.

Just finished up The Motion Picture. It's still perfect.

I once thought so too but now I somehow connect to it (again, without the songs and muzak). But I understand you, Sabrina sorta belongs to the Stanley And Iris, The Accidental Tourist category, albeit more romantically extrovert.

I love Stanley & Iris (That theme.....that wonderful theme!) and Accidental Tourist. Sabrina just does nothing for me.

Jerry Goldsmit's Alien, entinced by all the talk about the films that's been going on lately. This is the ultimate psychological horror score. Either that, or my catalogue is way too small.

I love Stanley & Iris (That theme.....that wonderful theme!) and Accidental Tourist. Sabrina just does nothing for me.

Hmm, I remember you once felt differently about those scores so maybe you shouldn't give up on Sabrina just yet.

Hmm, I remember you once felt differently about those scores so maybe you shouldn't give up on Sabrina just yet.

I know, you had that 'He's a Pleb who only likes Star Wars'. I've always liked S&I, I've liked TAT for a very long time. Only Of those kinds of JW scors I ever disparaged were Always(which I find largely to be rather uninteresting) and the aforementioned Sabrina. Checl your facts before you attack the plebs.

I know, you had that 'He's a Pleb who only likes Star Wars'. I've always liked S&I, I've liked TAT for a very long time. Only Of those kinds of JW scors I ever disparaged were Always(which I find largely to be rather uninteresting) and the aforementioned Sabrina. Checl your facts before you attack the plebs.

It seems your memory is malfunctioning, Morlock. Also, it can't be that long since you're, let's face it, a very young Williams fan who bought all he could buy in a very short amount of time. The fact that you consider my harmlous posts as an attack only means I was speaking the truth.

Alex - the memory of this board

That's convenient reasoning, as actually, this last post proves that you were attacking my taste. Is it that offensive to your being that someone who likes Zimmer and Jurrasic Park is also a big fan of the smaller JW works?

And, BTW, what does your second point have anything to do with this? If anything, that should diversify my taste. I didn't listen to Star Wars for a decade and decide that anything un-Star Wars is bad.

Pirates of the Caribbean At World's End

I love the new At World's End theme...and the new choral statement of the PotC/Jack's Intro theme.  

Star Wars was the last score I listened to. It's really starting to grow on me more and more with each listen. It also surprises me even after 30 years it still is one of the most powerful scores in film score history.

All though it won't be my favorite Star Wars Saga score since The Empire Strikes Back is easily my favorite. I've also revamped on how I rank the Star Wars scores from best to worst...

The Empire Strikes Back

Star Wars

Revenge Of The Sith

The Phantom Menace

Return Of The Jedi

Attack Of The Clones

You put Sith and Menace above Jedi? Come on!

Anyway, I've been really getting into A.I. - Artificial Intelligence lately. I've never realized what a great work this is. My favorite cue would have to be "David and the Supermecha". Reminds me of some of the more gentle tracks from E.T.

It's not even as good as TPM. It's a fine score, but not outstanding, and it seems somewhat detached from the overall Star Wars concepts still present (though perhaps not at 100%) in TPM.

• 2 weeks later...

Today: Star Wars (Gerhardt version), Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Star Trek - The Motion Picture. Now I'm listening to Jaws 2.

• 3 weeks later...

Capricorn One,

one of my altime fav. Jerry goldsmith scores. very 70's, and thats a good thing,

Capricorn One,

one of my altime fav. Jerry goldsmith scores. very 70's, and thats a good thing,

Speaking of Goldsmith I recently discovered how great of a composer he is. I listened to The Omen 2 and the Mummy. Thoroughly impressed by both.

The Patriot

Still a bit underrated 'round these parts. Sure it's bogged down with some dull underscore, but there are some really nice moments and some pretty good themes. A good "middle of the road" Williams score, especially considering it was a replacement job.

Pirates 3: At Worlds End. Don't remember much from it, never finished it. I'm going to listen to it all the way through again, but it seems pretty unmemorable right now. Very far below Pirates 2.