What is the last score you listened to?

HPFAN_2

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOTW has no character of it's own, outside it being John Williams music from the 00's decade.

Last time I listened to it I turned if of halfway and switched to 1941.

By far the more enjoyable score.

Even "The Separation of the Family"? I feel like it could be the theme music for Boston (or the Massachusetts coast in general). Maybe it's different for me because I live very near the locales of War of the Worlds.

The Sheryl Crow song was added to make for marketing (make more money) reasons. So basically they replace a good song with one that ranks in the top 5 of all time worst Bond songs.

When I loaded TND on iTunes I put "Surrender" in place of it.

Endurance

by John Powell

A fantastic Powell score, which I don't think has ever been discussed here. Possibly better than Amistad.

11 more Powell scores left to listen to! Can never have enough :lol:

Alien vs. Predator by Harald Kloser.

A few entertaining tracks amid a few MV sounding orchestrations, but not quite. Junk food at best.

Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem by Brian Tyler.

Now this is more like it! Loud and noisy, but cerebral and sounds like it's composed by someone who's musically literate. Very much like a game of "spot the Horner, Goldenthal and Silvestri lifts!"

Randy Newman's Maverick. Like the movie, I probably like it more than anyone else in the world. The score is fun and adventurous. Newman does an excellent job of writing a new theme that bears similarities with the TV show's theme. Also, a very large amount of the material is unified by the three notes that open the score.

Listened to Michael Collins. Still my favorite Goldenthal. Still one of my top scores of the 90's. Strange, how weak 1996 was, yet it had room for two of best scores of the decade (This and Mission: Impossible).

1996 doesn't look that bad... Bound, City Hall, DragonHeart (despite the synths and simple nature, it has spirit, lots of it), Hamlet, Independence Day, Looking for Richard (I never really got into it, but I know others like it), Sense and Sensibility, Sleepers, Star Trek: First Contact, Shadows of the Empire, The Frighteners, The Ghost and the Darkness, Twelfth Night.

A bunch of those are good....but it gives off the feel of a weak year, score-wise (film-wise, too.). The Goldsmiths and Doyles on that list are among my lesser listened to albums from those composers, and I'm apparantly the last one on the planet not to get what is so special about McNeely's work.

...and I'm apparantly the last one on the planet not to get what is so special about McNeely's work.

You're not the only one, I've never found Shadows of the Empire more than decent. But Independence Day and First Contact are both sensational scores, enough to lift any year. Someday hopefully I'll get to Hamlet, I really like Doyle's Branaugh Shakespeare scores.

The Goldsmiths and Doyles on that list are among my lesser listened to albums from those composers,

The Goldsmiths are very good, even though I consider FC the "least" of his great Trek scores (which don't include Nemesis for me). The Doyles are a delight when I get back to them, although I rarely do. But when I do, I usually get hooked on Hamlet and can't stop playing it for a few days. It has a very... uniquely melancholic atmosphere.

and I'm apparantly the last one on the planet not to get what is so special about McNeely's work.

There I agree. I included it because it's so well-liked in general. To me, it has one really good cue.

So basically they replace a good song with one that ranks in the top 5 of all time worst Bond songs.

Really? I never thought it was all that bad. There's much worse.

I never really liked the KD Lang song. Seemed like Bassey overload. Not that Crow's much better, but still...

I gave STAR TREK: NEMESIS a burn. And y'know, I like it a lot. I like that it's almost like a full circle kind of deal with the TMP quotes (a bit like ROTS). I think I like it overall more than FIRST CONTACT, but it doesn't have a single new theme as that movie's main title.

I gave STAR TREK: NEMESIS a burn. And y'know, I like it a lot. I like that it's almost like a full circle kind of deal with the TMP quotes (a bit like ROTS). I think I like it overall more than FIRST CONTACT, but it doesn't have a single new theme as that movie's main title.

It's a fine score, and the return of the TMP main theme is one of its strengths, along with the action writing. But it is pretty monothematic, although the way Goldsmith throws so many variations on it it's like having more than one theme. I prefer First Contcact.

Its Jerry's worst ST effort, but thats not surprising since the movie sucks something fierce.

The movie is fine, considerably better than people give it credit for. It seriously fails to deliver on all that it *could* do, but if it would, it would be close to Khan. As it is, it's a solid movie with a strong Khan influence, though nowhere near as good or consistent. Patrick Stewart is at his Trek-movie best. The score is just ok (it supports the movie well though).

I've never thought of Nemesis as a bad movie, there is good in there. Just not great. One thing that I really didn't like was how Data seemed to have lost his emotion chip somewhere between Insurrection and here.

The score works wonders in the film. I remember being initally really disappointed with the OST and not liking the score until I got the DVD and listened to the whole thing in the film, that turned me around on it before I even got the complete score.

Well, after listening to The Happening half a dozen times or so since getting it, I've come to the conclusion that while it is a very good score, it's weak in comparison to Howard's other scores for Shyamalan.

Nemesis is a bad film, and a weak score. Luckily Nemesis plays better on the tube where its more like a weak two part episode, its a rip off of everything good in previous Star Trek films, including horrible placement of music by cough-Jerry Goldsmith-cough

Nemesis is a bad film, and a weak score. Luckily Nemesis plays better on the tube where its more like a weak two part episode, its a rip off of everything good in previous Star Trek films, including horrible placement of music by cough-Jerry Goldsmith-cough

Now even the placement is horrible, not just the music? :lol:

I guess it's time for you to enjoy the 'Clockwork Orange' treatment. Matches in the eyelids and 'Nemesis' 20 times a day. This should finally bring out all the love you feel for it deep inside.

I still think First Contact is the best NG score. Insurrection, even in it's expanded form is still weak, although the Baku theme is quite lovely.

Nemesis suffered from Varese over hyping the score a bit too much. The expanded version adds some interesting music and some of the better cues are the ones where Goldsmith uses cues/orchestrations from TMP.

Since the Summer Olympics are coming up I've been giving all 4 of Williams' themes a spin the last few days in between all of the goodies I've bought.

Now even the placement is horrible, not just the music? :lol:

I guess it's time for you to enjoy the 'Clockwork Orange' treatment. Matches in the eyelids and 'Nemesis' 20 times a day. This should finally bring out all the love you feel for it deep inside.

sorry you don't agree, but the Enterprise music from TMP is placed in this movie and it has no place.

sorry you don't agree, but the Enterprise music from TMP is placed in this movie and it has no place.

Well, who cares? It's a routine score which is miles beyond any 'atrocius' label some people desperately want to burden it with. The dramaturgical application is fine and how anyone can listen to a highly accomplished piece like 'Repairs' and doesn't hear it's good, thought-out stuff really has no clue. You may not like the fact that the action music is same-old, same-old for Goldsmith or some of the electronics don't sound too good or even the old enterprise rhythm, but it defies any logic to badmouth every second of this 70-minute-score in a way that implies Goldsmith did something nasty with your dog or something.

Well, who cares? It's a routine score which is miles beyond any 'atrocius' label some people desperately want to burden it with. The dramaturgical application is fine and how anyone can listen to a highly accomplished piece like 'Repairs' and doesn't hear it's good, thought-out stuff really has no clue. You may not like the fact that the action music is same-old, same-old for Goldsmith or some of the electronics don't sound too good or even the old enterprise rhythm, but it defies any logic to badmouth every second of this 70-minute-score in a way that implies Goldsmith did something nasty with your dog or something.

obviously you do, since you've taken up its banner. What are you the new publicist running an anti-smear campaign for Nemesis?

sorry but I completely disagree with you. Hell you don't agree with you. Is it routine or good? The fact that you infer that I think Goldsmith did something nasty says more about your filthy mind than my dissatisfaction with this score and film.

Nemesis suffered from Varese over hyping the score a bit too much.

I don't really buy that argument. It was definitely overhyped, but I don't think it suffered from it at the time (it was a Trek score by an old Goldsmith, it would have been eagerly expected anyway). And I don't see the hype having any impact on it now - when I still find it an average score and usually don't even think about the release hype. :lol:

The expanded version adds some interesting music and some of the better cues are the ones where Goldsmith uses cues/orchestrations from TMP.

Agreed there. My favourite bit though it the Irving Berlin quote on piano, before the end credits, in the concert version.

Since the Summer Olympics are coming up I've been giving all 4 of Williams' themes a spin the last few days in between all of the goodies I've bought.

I could do that... my SAE package won't arrive for another 2 weeks or so.

obviously you do, since you've taken up its banner. What are you the new publicist running an anti-smear campaign for Nemesis?

sorry but I completely disagree with you. Hell you don't agree with you. Is it routine or good? The fact that you infer that I think Goldsmith did something nasty says more about your filthy mind than my dissatisfaction with this score and film.

Routine from a master can still be good, very much so. The rest of your blatherings just unveils your helplessness to articulate anything of substance about the subject at hand...apart from dragging this particular score in the mud at every opportunity, of course. Just as i said, it makes one think the composer did something far more atrocious than just compose a film score you don't like.

Routine from a master can still be good, very much so. The rest of your blatherings just unveils your helplessness to articulate anything of substance about the subject at hand...apart from dragging this particular score in the mud at every opportunity, of course. Just as i said, it makes one think the composer did something far more atrocious than just compose a film score you don't like.

sorry buttercup, but routine this isnt, its not very good, your blatherings arn't propping it up with any substance either.

Lets face it pubie, Goldsmith was near the end, and he was very possibly sick, many here, I guess including you thinks its a passable or servicable score, I don't if you don't like it too bad, but everything about this score is just sad.

Goldsmith was man enough to take the criticism, this was his AOTC, and it was crap.

sorry buttercup, but routine this isnt, its not very good, your blatherings arn't propping it up with any substance either.

Lets face it pubie, Goldsmith was near the end, and he was very possibly sick, many here, I guess including you thinks its a passable or servicable score, I don't if you don't like it too bad, but everything about this score is just sad.

Goldsmith was man enough to take the criticism, this was his AOTC, and it was crap.

Is it weird that this is making me want to rewatch Nemesis?

I only saw it once, and I slept through most of it (not because I was bored, per se; more so because I was very, very tired). I can recall nothing of Goldsmith's score.

His last score was Looney Tunes, he was certainly very sick then, and yet it's wonderful.

AOTC isn't a great score, but still better than Nemesis. Both are better than you give them credit.

Assault on Precinct 13

I'd never listened to this one before, and only vaguely remembered the movie (which I recall as being good exploitationish fun).

I love John Carpenter, so it's no surprise to me that I've got the main theme stuck in my head, and have had for several hours now. Most of the rest of the score is repetitive and somewhat disposable, but I just dig the tone Carpenter's music sets. That minimalist, synthy, driving music . . . it always gives me a feeling that nobody else's music does. Even a couple of the Carpenter movies he himself didn't score -- The Thing and Starman (my two favorites of his, in fact) -- have a similar feel in their scores. It's very distinctive, that's for sure.

'Perfect Storm' by James Horner.

a personal favourite.Wonderful main theme.More than a score:A magical symphony...

Regards,

Timur

İstanbul,Turkey

Assault on Precinct 13

I'd never listened to this one before, and only vaguely remembered the movie (which I recall as being good exploitationish fun).

I love John Carpenter, so it's no surprise to me that I've got the main theme stuck in my head, and have had for several hours now. Most of the rest of the score is repetitive and somewhat disposable, but I just dig the tone Carpenter's music sets. That minimalist, synthy, driving music . . . it always gives me a feeling that nobody else's music does. Even a couple of the Carpenter movies he himself didn't score -- The Thing and Starman (my two favorites of his, in fact) -- have a similar feel in their scores. It's very distinctive, that's for sure.

Hans Zimmer's favorite score.

I'm gonna catch hell for this but I think Nemesis is a much more enjoyable score than AOTC.

I agree, and that's even with me thinking that people go too far over how bad they say AOTC is. After actually listening to the complete edition, I've actually grown to like NEMESIS a lot more than I used to.

I simply do not understand the hatred some people seem to have for Attack of the Clones. It just sounds like more Star Wars music to me. That and Revenge of the Sith are nowhere near as good as the other four, but I can't off the top of my head think of any reason to dislike them.

Somebody want to clue me in on the secret?

For me, it seems the most generic. Some of it works great, but a lot of it feels either like there was no passion in it, or it was shoehorned in to try and make a typical "Star Wars moment." The movie has a lot to with it, as there is little to nothing in that whole movie that's anywhere near interesting, so I think it was probably the hardest score for John to write. I like "Across the Stars" a lot though. I just wish it had a better picture/love story to score.