What is the next major movie after LOTR for Howard Shore?

Damo

I just can't believe that howard shore's score for LOTR became famous (well im not sure what is the right word to use) to people who like it but now when it comes to King Kong, Peter Jackson decided to reject his score. What is going to be the next major movie for Howard Shore to write the score for?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think David Fincher's current project, ZODIAC, could be a big film, and it will most likely have Shore on board... Otherwise, not too sure.

Good point there K.M he might as well go on to score the last 3 potter films, since he left Kong Kong.

You already forget he's the next big thing after John Williams?He'll go on to score the last 3 Potter films,and win oscars for all of them.

k.M.

Howard Shore scoring Potters LOL . Silence of the Lambs meets Big? Churning strings and lower register of the orchestra playing rising and falling chords. Brass blasting menacingly. Woodwinds thrown in the mix to thicken the sounds. Potter goes Interzone with Ornette Coleman lending a hand in the sax and Shore writing a drunken and twisted version of Hedwig's theme.

As wondeful as LOTR is Shore seems to be moving back to the old brooding and dark style. Although he could change his style as a good film composer should try to do.

Shore is a good composer who has done solid work for 40 years in music but it took LOTR to bring something brilliant out of him. Aviator and History of Violence have not come even close to it. He hit the public consciousness with LOTR in a same way Williams did with SW. I bet not before or after will there be anything like LOTR from him. That was a special project that are rare and do not come by more than once in a lifetime (Well it depends. Williams has scored loads of classic films and his scores are considered classic as well but Williams is not a mere mortal by any standards so comparing to him is a bad example :) ).

Shore will do the next 15 films by Cronenberg and Fincher. Dark brooding stuff probably. Heroics are over for Mr. Shore I'm afraid.

LOTR will remain a hallmark of his career.

As wondeful as LOTR is Shore seems to be moving back to the old brooding and dark style. Although he could change his style as a good film composer should try to do.

I disagree that a composer should deliberately change their style. Experimenting with styles and sounds new to them, sure, as that develops their style (which wouldn't be the same for long periods of time). Not that this thread in any way is about that... It just stuck out at me. :)

I disagree that a composer should deliberately change their style. Experimenting with styles and sounds new to them, sure, as that develops their style (which wouldn't be the same for long periods of time). Not that this thread in any way is about that... It just stuck out at me. :)

Perhaps I chose my words little rashly there. I meant that Shore can write more cheerful and lighter music if he wants to. I did not mean he should abandon his own style by any means. His musical voice is unique (as is any musician's) and while he may experiment with different styles he does not have to change the way he writes music (he probably couldn't. His style is part of him).

First of all, Shore already had his follow up to LoTR with The Aviator. As for the next one? I have no idea. Maybe Scorsese's next pic, but it's an urban cop movie, so probably not.

Yeah, The Departed will more than likely be his next one. Unless of course some other composer has their score rejected and he has to fill in at the last minute. :)

He hit the public consciousness with LOTR in a same way Williams did with SW.

Not quite the same way.

Exactly,the scores will be forgotten.It's a Titanic type thing.

K.M.

Shore's 56 years old as far as I know, so he's got plenty of time ahead.

I'm constantly amazed how people can say that LotR will be forgotten, just one and a half years after the third film left the theatres. What do you know about the future?

I'm pretty sure the Star Wars prequels will be forgotten pretty soon (if there is a god), but I'm not so arrogant to say that they have to and that it's inevitable.

"Always in motion the future is."

His scores might not have had the effect Star Wars had (and I doubt any other score will ever have a similar effect again), but Shore did to his name what Williams did to his back in 1977.

And to pour a little oil on the fire, I think that what happened to film scores after Star Wars would have happened anyhow sooner or later. John Williams was just lucky enough to trigger it.

Not that the original trilogy isn't great, but it was inevitable.

Now go ahead, curse me :)

The prequel soundtracks will be long forgotten before LOTR ever will.

As has been said before, LOTR is this generation's SW. The LOTR music will not have legs like the original SW has, but it will be up there with the likes of Indy, Superman, and Back to the Future.

You may be right, but the Ring theme stands out as LOTR just as Hedwig's for Potter.

I don't think it does. Hedwig's theme rules supreme as the first Harry Potter theme. It is one theme that stands apart from all the other HP themes- it is the Harry Potter theme, and not only in terms of the films. The ring theme is IMO the most effective theme in the LoTR, the one that evokes the most, but it is not the theme, and I think it is tied down entirly to the physical Ring. It is not all encompassing, and has no life outside of the film or soundtrack.

And in terms of hummability, Hedwig's theme is an instant classic, it already seems like it's been around for ages, while the ring theme has not reached nearly as much recognition.

And it will probably be up there with SW and Indy, but I don't think BTTF belongs on that list. The wide public remember the main theme, not much else. The scores themselves are not the classics that the SW/Indy scores are.

but I don't think BTTF belongs on that list. The wide public remember the main theme, not much else.

For Star Wars the general public only know the SW theme and The Imperial March.

For Indiana Jones they only know Raiders March.

For Jaws they only know dum...dum...dum...dum.

So what's your point?

Things would be very different if it wasn't for Star Wars.

Assumptions, assumptions. And dary ones they are.

Potter isn't likely to outlive LotR because it's based on it. And so is Star Wars (to a lesser degree, but still).

@ Morlock

What exactly makes you think that Hedwig's Theme gets lots of recognition? Since LotR came out, I've heard portions of the score on all kinds of occasions on TV, but Hedwig's Theme not once.

Hedwig's Theme isn't more hummable than the ring's theme, you just like it better, and that's fine. But don't walk around and say things based on nothing.

PS: Just in case you don't know: LotR has no universal "Lord of the Rings" theme because Shore took an entirely different approach than Williams.

You may be right, but the Ring theme stands out as LOTR just as Hedwig's for Potter.

I don't think it does. Hedwig's theme rules supreme as the first Harry Potter theme. It is one theme that stands apart from all the other HP themes- it is the Harry Potter theme, and not only in terms of the films. The ring theme is IMO the most effective theme in the LoTR, the one that evokes the most, but it is not the theme, and I think it is tied down entirly to the physical Ring. It is not all encompassing, and has no life outside of the film or soundtrack.

And in terms of hummability, Hedwig's theme is an instant classic, it already seems like it's been around for ages, while the ring theme has not reached nearly as much recognition.

You're thinking from a film music enthusiasts POV. It might not be as hummable, but the Ring theme is instant recognition.

And it will probably be up there with SW and Indy, but I don't think BTTF belongs on that list. The wide public remember the main theme, not much else. The scores themselves are not the classics that the SW/Indy scores are.

What Steef said.

Hedwig's theme will be remembered for longer than the LotR scores by the general public. Which could certainly be due to the fact that LotR has no all-encompassing theme, but there is no doubt in my mind that the general public will remember Hedwig for Potter longer than the Fellowship Theme or any other themes for LotR.

~Sturgis

I agree with Sturge. Honestly, no matter how "appropriate" the ring theme is for the film(s), it doesn't hold a candle to the "instant classic" type of them that Hedwig's Theme is. Hedwig's Theme is much more recognizable and hummable, and though the Ring theme works fine in the film, there's no appeal to it outside of that context (that I can see). If anything, the Fellowship Theme has the best chance of being recognized and remembered from the LotR series, but it's still not as distinctive as Hedwig's Theme. That's not bias toward Williams, it's just the way it is.

Ray Barnsbury

but I don't think BTTF belongs on that list. The wide public remember the main theme, not much else.

For Star Wars the general public only know the SW theme and The Imperial March.

For Indiana Jones they only know Raiders March.

For Jaws they only know dum...dum...dum...dum.

So what's your point?

You are correct. I was projecting. When I think of Indy and SW music, I think of all the scores. When I think of BTTF music, I think of the main theme.

What exactly makes you think that Hedwig's Theme gets lots of recognition? Since LotR came out, I've heard portions of the score on all kinds of occasions on TV, but Hedwig's Theme not once.

I've heard portions of the LoTR scores on all kinds of occaisions on TV too- every single one of them containing either clips from the movies or Shore conducting his symphony. Hedwig's theme was the third most popular ringtone over here in 2002. It has been used on the BBC when talking about JK Rowling, with no direct mention to the movies. It was released as a single. It is used for the main titles of the first 3 Potter films, and probably the 4th as well.

Most of this is, as you said, because Shore took an entirely different approach than Williams. But

that doesn't negate the fact that Williams' theme does encapsulate in it all things Potter.

Hedwig's Theme isn't more hummable than the ring's theme, you just like it better, and that's fine. But don't walk around and say things based on nothing.

I've heard it hummed by people all over the place. I've yet to hear single person in the world hum the Ring theme. A few hum the Gondor theme, many hum the IRISH Rohan theme, but none The Ring theme. It is a superb theme, that is perfect within the film, but does not have a life outside of the film/CD, and certainly not among your average John Q Citizen. I see the difference on people- When people ask me to play soundtracks for them, I try to play something they'll know without realizing they knew it. Potter and LoTR are both very popular here, so I play these two for nearly everyone, a few themes from each CD. With Potter, it's always instant recognition and liking. With LoTR, it's generaly slow recognition, and when it is recognized, most people aren't sure where or when it's from, just that it's in there. If you've heard it in a film enough time, you'll remember any theme you're given. That's how they remember The Ring Theme. Hedwig's theme, on the other hand is remembered with smile, because it is an instant classic. It's not often that an instantly classic theme comes along on that level. I mean the GWTW, Star Wars, Indy, Jaws, Magnificent Seven, Batman, Mission: Impossible ect....but Hedwig's theme fits the bill.

That's not Williams bias talking, that just the way it is. I don't think that Hedwig's theme is one of the 10 greatest themes ever, nor one of the top 20, or 30, or 50. But it's got that extra something.

Hedwig's Theme is a fantastic composition,I mean the concert version.It has a life of it's own and can be played at concerts.

The Ring theme is a little motif that plays over the LotR title briefly,like those chords from the Matrix that play over the WB logo.

k.M.

You said it Steef! That was one great underestimation of the Ring motif by King Mark. The motif is one the most used in the whole trilogy.

Does an average movie goer recognize the Hedwig's theme more than he does the One Ring theme? I do not think so. Does an average movie goer recognize most of the music? Nope.

The Potter fanatics perhaps recognize the theme (yeah it a whole lot of people but just as many love LOTR).

The ring motif is leagues ahead of the rest of the LOTR themes, I think. But underused.

Shore's goal is not to be memorable, but "heady". He has done just that. He's not like Williams in that he doesn't delight in brighter music when he can. His music is also not as fast and intricate as Williams, so he's limited in his range when it comes to action scoring. While I like Shore's work, I wouldn't like to hear what he would have done on Raiders.

Does an average movie goer recognize the Hedwig's theme more than he does the One Ring theme?

Yes, he does.

Ray Barnsbury

And you base this claim on what?

The most memorable LOTR theme has to be Fellowship theme.

Its the most easy to relate to the movies...

You are probably right. Hummable is a good thing :| Peter was aftera hummable theme and ehgot one. Perhaps Shore did not provide one for Kong and got fired because of that.

Hedwig's Theme is ONLY a classic because it was attached to the Harry Potter franchise. I mean; who remembers the theme from Heartbeeps or from The Witches of Eastwick? Certainly not the general public.

Lousy examples, Roald. Those films, especially Heartbeeps, didn't exactly set the box office on fire. Whereas Harry Potter and LOTR both did monster numbers at the box office. Both were also liked by critics. Both also had a huge established fan base because of their literary origins.

However, in the end, Harry Potter wound up with the catchier tune.

Neil

However, in the end, Harry Potter wound up with the catchier tune.

And yet I genuinly enjoy the complete score to FOTR far more than that of SS/PS.

Catchier tune doesn't always mean the better score. Although Hedwig's Theme is probably better than any one cue in FOTR.

Justin

Does an average movie goer recognize the Hedwig's theme more than he does the One Ring theme?

Yes, he does.

Ray Barnsbury

Nothing more than personal experience. :| I don't know anyone (besides film music enthusiasts) who would whistle or recognize the Ring theme. However, I have heard countless people of all ages (children, college students, adults) refer to and recognize Hedwig's Theme (or as it's often understandably called, "the Harry Potter theme").

Ray Barnsbury

When I watched POA on the screen and Hedwig's theme was heard, the kids in front of me started humming the tune. It's a pretty rewarding thing to witness :|

Yes, he does.

Ray Barnsbury

Nothing more than personal experience. :| I don't know anyone (besides film music enthusiasts) who would whistle or recognize the Ring theme. However, I have heard countless people of all ages (children, college students, adults) refer to and recognize Hedwig's Theme (or as it's often understandably called, "the Harry Potter theme").

Ray Barnsbury

Yep. I was playing a keyboard before a band concert a few months ago, and some friends had me play music while they randomly changed the instrument patch. When it hit celesta, I played Hedwig's theme. They all got it.