10 most HORRIBLE things DUMMIES say 'bout film music...

Maraquesh

10. (When a dummie hears 'The Raiders March') 'Oh, I know this, this is from 'Star Wars'..!'... (When you explain it's actually from the Indiana Jones films, he says, rather pigheadedly:) 'I've also heard it in 'Star Wars'..! (or:) 'Well, it's EXACTLY the same..!'

9. (When you show a dummie your soundtrack-collection:) 'I'd really miss the film scenes, I don't think I could enjoy it'...

8. 'Oh yeah, I know John Williams... The guitarist, right?'

7. 'I love the soundtrack for 'The Lion King'..! Only I don't know why they put them instrumental pieces on it. I always skip those..!'

6. 'I love the 'Titanic' soundtrack..! On each track, I can tell you exactly what happens in the movie, let me show you..! Here, Jack and Rose run through the corridors... Here the ship sinks... Here... It's like seeing the movie all over again..!'

5. 'I own a lot of soundtracks! Here, 'Songs from and inspired by 'Resident Evil', or 'Songs from and inspired by 'The Blair Witch Project II Book Of Shadows', or 'Songs from and inspired by...'

4. 'Ennio Morricone, he did them Westerns right..?'

3. (Dummie who thinks he has taste:) 'Greatest soundtrack ever made? 'Local Hero' by Mark Knopfler, of course...'

2. (Snobbish-Dummie:) 'I own the CD for 'Schindler's List'... It's classical music, you know...'

And the #1 MOST HORRIBLE thing a Film Music DUMMIE can say is...

1. 'It's just background music..!'

thirdfleet0wn.th.jpg

Drawing by Maraquesh

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I would from time to time step into one of those elitist-classical-only CD stores and ask if they have any John Williams concert work CD's. I always got the same reply:

"No we don't that sell that. Maybe you should try (The Music House). They sell POP-MUSIC there."

Sigh...

Here's a recent one:

Ah, I think it's a good occasion to discuss who "the guy" really is and what he's worth. As far as I know, "John Williams" is more label than man. All our friend John does is write four-part harmonies; arrangements, instrumentation, orchestration and whatnot are entirely done by a squad of assistants who mostly reutilize the orchestral recipes that Ravel developped in the early 20th century. 70 years of music since, and it's still as if they didn't have a clue. So much for the legend, eh?

Little help with this one?

4. 'Ennio Morricone, he did them Westerns right..?'

I'd be delighted if one of my friends (who's not a soundtrack fan) said that.

8. 'Oh yeah, I know John Williams... The guitarist, right?'

In my experience, most people who have heard of a John Williams would think of the film composer (or perhaps the "Harry Potter composer") or at the very least think they're the same person.

Here's a pretty annoying quote from a friend (I'll give him credit though, he does know what scores are):

"D'you have any songs from it though, not like, composed stuff?"

Composed stuff?? Grr

It would be interesting to know: what film was that? :devil:

If it was Batman, fair enough...

the worst quote i've ever heard is "i don't like film music, i don't see the point in it"

Try watching a movie without music or sound, you'll find watching paint dry a far more enjoyable experience.

music, if scored properly can envoke all sorts of emotions as well as providing a marketable album to raise funds for the next movie.

I think it was Forrest Gump, and he said that after I pointed out my score CD.

Oh, and I've just remembered something that a girl asked me when we were going away for a weekend event and showing each other our CD choices: "Do you have any normal music? No offence."

You wouldn't believe the look she and a friend gave me when I said I was listening to Star Wars. That was followed by "Oh, does it have a soundtrack then?"

Why is number 4 (the one about Morricone) stupid? Morricone's most famous - and perhaps best - output was his Western stuff.

It may be his most famous works, but it would be the same as if someone said: "John Williams? Isn't he the guy that wrote SPACE-music?"

The Western-films are perhaps 5% of Morricone's entire discography. And his best works? Nah, that would go to his mid-80's/early 90's music (The Mission, Untouchables, and all).

I'm telling you, the worst experience a movie music fan can have is a father who desparately tries to conduct AND whistle along with the Star Wars main titles, but nothing's in harmony or even sync ...

Oh, and I happen to think that the remark *with annoying grin* "I didn't listen to the music" is pretty dumb.

Why is number 4 (the one about Morricone) stupid? Morricone's most famous - and perhaps best - output was his Western stuff.

It may be his most famous works, but it would be the same as if someone said: "John Williams? Isn't he the guy that wrote SPACE-music?"

The Western-films are perhaps 5% of Morricone's entire discography. And his best works? Nah, that would go to his mid-80's/early 90's music (The Mission, Untouchables, and all).

If one of my friends knew that JW had written Star Wars I would be pretty impressed. If one of my friends knew enough about a relatively lesser-known composer such as Morricone to be able to say he had written Western scores I would be very impressed. Not everyone, particularly in the younger demographic, is as "into" the whole film scoring business as us. Just as I only know enough about choreography to say "Bob Fosse? He was that dancing guy wasn't he?", most people know little to nothing about film scores (except "Howard Shore did LOTR. I know the Fellowship Theme. Yay".)

Oh, and I agree with you re:Morricone's best work. IMO The Mission is a classic - on my Top 20 Ever list.

This thread is pretty ironic: just this morning, before I came to school, my away message on AIM consisted of a few quotes from someone who posted here a while ago. Here's one of the quotes:

"when i was watching harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban, i was wondering what the film would have been like if a real composer had taken the job. don't get me wrong, williams writes ok tunes, but composers like Tom Pettey or Bryan Adams would make a film like this rock. i don't understand my movies so often use this simple tunes, not real music."

And richuk, I get "Do you have any normal music?" a lot as well. Even though I have and listen to "normal" music.

I'm telling you, the worst experience a movie music fan can have is a father who desparately tries to conduct AND whistle along with the Star Wars main titles, but nothing's in harmony or even sync ....

Ah yes, family members thinking they know film music :sigh:

I got into a small music discussion one time at my grandparents' house, and my grandad says "ah yes, the Jurassic Park theme tune" and starts going "do do dooo.. do do doo do do doo..". He got the tune sort of right but the notes.... :devil:

I had to resist the urge to correct him.

Perhaps I'm getting old. I was thinking too much about my generation. You're absolutely right that the younger generations have no idea who Morricone is. But yeah; those kids only appreciate music when it's rapped by Eminem or 50 Cent...

That's saying Bruce Willis or Mel Gibson are best in action films, or Robin Williams and Bill Murray are best in comedies...

Only a small portion of the Morricone discography makes up for the 'spaghetti-westerns', and it's also only been a small part of his career-chronology. Whether it was his best work, I doubt it very much. It's just that most people are not well known with the body of Morricone's work outside the westerns from the '60's. So you are right, it *is* his most famous work. I prefer the more romantic music he made in the recent decades though. Just listen to 'Canone Inverso' or 'Bullworth', or, ofcourse, 'The Mission'... He's just a very passionate composer..! He may not be the ingenious arranger Williams or Goldsmith is, but he does write absolutely stunning melodies.

It's like with the Beatles. Their early career was so different from their later, creatively much more groundbreaking music. If someone would say: 'Them Beatles... aren't that them guys who sang 'She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah...'..?', I'd definatly try to explain that there was a lot more to them. Or if someone would say: 'Mozart, isn't that the guy who wrote all them joyous tunes..?' I'd definatly put on Mozart's 'Requiem'... Or if someone would say: 'Xena, isn't that that swordfighting chick who fights monsters 'n evil swordsmen 'n stuff...?' I'd definatly show the 'Ides Of March' and watch the guys face while he watches the very unsettling last minutes....

Whatever else happened, whatever else they did, the Beatles still sang "She Loves You". I can understand why people would even like a song like that more than "Lady Madonna" or any of the later work - it's easy to listen to, easy to hum along to, and just plain fun.

Whatever else he did before, or has done since. John Williams (for example) still composed the base for the Superman IV score. Now if one of my friends knew that, I would be (happily) amazed.

"All of the music was composed by Jerry Goldsmith. I had never heard that name before but he must be pretty talented." - One Amazon.com reviewer on Jerry's score to THE MUMMY.

I took the liberty of copying this fabulous quote from Hitch's signature... This just says it all.... I rest my case.

I once mentioned to someone when they just got done watching First Contact that I had the soundtrack. Their response, "It did have some pretty neat sounds in it." Referring to the sound effects.

"All of the music was composed by Jerry Goldsmith. I had never heard that name before but he must be pretty talented." - One Amazon.com reviewer on Jerry's score to THE MUMMY.

So? Why should people who aren't normally interested in film scores have heard of him?

So? Why should people who aren't normally interested in film scores have heard of him?

Actually, they shouldn't. It still doesn't make their remarks about something they know so little about less horrid, if more understandable.

Something that is missing off the list.

Walking into the record store and asking for a CD soundtrack, in this instance War Of The Worlds, then having the dummy behind the counter say "Yes. We have that." then points out the Jeff Wayne's Musical Version. You then mutter under your breath how much of an idiot he really is.

I asked some guy behind the counter in a record store if they had the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade soundtrack. He said "what - the music?", and I said yes. "I don't know what that is." he replied. "Is it a CD or what?".

I can't help thinking he misheard me.

When answering someone you're listening to the soundtrack to Jurassic Park: "What, does it have dinosaur sounds on it or something?"

Halfway through the movie Braveheart: "I haven't heard any music yet."

I happen to work with a few guys that are really into music. These guys are in their late forties and grew up with Dylan, The Beatles and The Stones and so on. The Beatles have always been my favorite group since high school, so we often have good chats about that. However, when it comes time to me mentioning a score or when they hear "that sound" coming from my computer, it can get a little rough. I have literally heard many times either the, what's wrong with you or how can you possibly listen to that speeches. What amuses me is that I am familiar with what they listen to and can certainly hold my own in discussions. They on the other hand have absolutely no clue about film scores or classical music for that matter, yet they know it's horrible and less valid.

I got "Do you have any normal music?" a lot too. My friends teased me about listening to film orchestra scores but over all they were cool with it since I'd listen to their music when I was with them.

There was a computer class I had taken in high school and was surprised that a couple of guys in there liked film orchestra scores as well. One thing I kinda hate is when I talk to girl and they list what music they listen to. When I list mine you could tell they're all, "Oh one of those ones" when they just say "That's cool." It's very rare that I've come across a girl that likes film orchestra music and mostly listens to that.

maybee there needs to be a break with orchestral music for 10 years and only use pop music in movies. Most young people are too young to remember that star wars brought orchestral music back to films, we have JW to thank for that. Before then pop music was used all the time and the atmosphere was...different.

I do hate the way most people my age go on about rock and pop music, you'd think electric guitars had only been around since they started listening to them.

I once mentioned to someone when they just got done watching First Contact that I had the soundtrack. Their response, "It did have some pretty neat sounds in it." Referring to the sound effects.

Well, to be fair, a soundtrack technically is the dialogue and sound effects, is it not? :love: Thus the term "soundtrack" and not "scoretrack." :)

maybe there needs to be a break with orchestral music for 10 years and only use pop music in movies.

Blasphemer. Let's not even think about going down that path!!!!

We've all had some idiot give us a strange look when they find out the type of music we like/prefer but I want to know does it give us "nerds and weirdos" a greater appreciation for the effort and talent to write/conduct such scores?

Also does it give us a greater appreciation of music in general than those who prefer those "other forms" of music?

Is it a case of these people just hearing and preferring the lyrics over the music and as such relegating the music to the background?

Hi guys...first post here. :( Haha, I've always LOVED film music since I was very young (must have been because of SW and IJ), and now I'm 17! ;) Anyway, the best ones I've heard myself are

1. How can you listen to them? There are no words!

2. Will there be any band singing on the Revenge of the Sith soundtrack?

3. Pirates of the Carribean had awesome music!

I think it was Forrest Gump, and he said that after I pointed out my score CD.

Oh, and I've just remembered something that a girl asked me when we were going away for a weekend event and showing each other our CD choices: "Do you have any normal music? No offence."

You wouldn't believe the look she and a friend gave me when I said I was listening to Star Wars. That was followed by "Oh, does it have a soundtrack then?"

Heeere's your sign!

One day at school a was showing some dude my CD collection (all scores except for my classical and single "rock" CD). He leafed through it for a few seconds, and then looked up and asked "Dude, don't you listen to, like, REAL music?"

Moron.

One day at school a was showing some dude my CD collection (all scores except for my classical and single "rock" CD). He leafed through it for a few seconds, and then looked up and asked "Dude, don't you listen to, like, REAL music?"

Moron.

LOL I've gotten that question too! I'm all thinking to myself, "IT IS real music....dork." That's when you give the dude a stare of death, grab your CD's and just leave. lol

Pirates of the Carribean had awesome music!

Welcome! You'll go far here if you disagree with the statement above. :(

Neil

yea, MV music is total rubbish. nothing more than cheap Zimmer in autopilot clones. Well, maybe except for that Gregson Williams dude, I kinda liked his work on Kingdom of Heaven.