Donner hired to work on Special Edition of Superman II

MrScratch

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. Williams on Superman II... That could be VERY interesting indeed. CALLING WARNER BROS. SET ASIDE A COOL MILLION FOR MASTER J WILLIAMS.

I'd rather have tracked cues from Superman - The Movie than the awfully amateurish re-recordings in the film. Incidentally - anyone know why they did bother to re-record it?

Because Lucas had not yet "pushed the envelope" towards the cut and paste jobs seen in the prequels. After all, back then, they weren't "constantly in a digital arena," where artistry is just a mouseclick away!

- Marc, :thumbup:

This is a most interesting development. If by some miracle Williams was asked to do an original score, I couldn't possibly see why he would say no.

does anyone think he can save this trainwreck?

Its funny that as a younger person in the early 80's I thought it was great, then good, now I realize its just mediocre at best, saved by the remarkable performances of the two leading characters.

This is a most interesting development. If by some miracle Williams was asked to do an original score, I couldn't possibly see why he would say no.

The odds are against it. I recall reading something about how those damn Salkinds attempted to pull some technical contractual crap with both Williams and Brando regarding using their material in the sequels. That's why Jor-El in Superman II was not seen and was voiced by some other actor, and of course, Williams didn't score Supes II but his themes were retreaded by good ol' Ken Thorne and performed by what sounded like a high school band.

By the way, I recall the Salkinds ran into similar troubles before when they produced a sequel to their Three Musketeers movie with leftover footage. The actors were pissed when they didn't get paid for the sequel!

Either way, thank God Donner is doing this. I was one of the SuperGeeks who petitioned Warner Bros last year!

The odds are against it. I recall reading something about how those damn Salkinds attempted to pull some technical contractual crap with both Williams and Brando regarding using their material in the sequels. That's why Jor-El in Superman II was not seen and was voiced by some other actor, and of course, Williams didn't score Supes II but his themes were retreaded by good ol' Ken Thorne and performed by what sounded like a high school band.

By the way, I recall the Salkinds ran into similar troubles before when they produced a sequel to their Three Musketeers movie with leftover footage. The actors were pissed when they didn't get paid for the sequel!

Either way, thank God Donner is doing this. I was one of the SuperGeeks who petitioned Warner Bros last year!

It's been 25 years, hopefully feelings have changed and Donner knows what to do.

It's only fitting they bring back Donner to "finish" this movie. It is almost like an apology with them re-hiring him. Maybe they'll put in super flashing CGI elements to make it look better.

Dean

gone fishing

:|

seriously Maestro, are you so dense, I'm talking about the current film, do you really think that he can save it.

and yes I've seen some of the footage, and some of it is very bad too, not Donner's fault but the fault of the script.

are you stupid?

I know you are but what am I? OK, Joe, now can we talk like big people?

I'm talking about the current film, do you really think that he can save it.

With a re-edit, new score, new main titles, touched up effects and some alternate footage (plenty of which we know to exist), yes! That's what a "Special Edition" is, Joe.

Jeff

I stiill have my doubts, S2 is pretty much a train wreck, I don't know how they can miraculously save it and transform it into anything close to the quality of the first Supes. All the money might not be enough, everything in the current version is bad (sfx, sound, editing, acting (ok except ZOD!) cinematography, etc...). It just feels like a rushed tv movie from the early 80's. But the worse thing is the script.

does anyone think he can save this trainwreck?

Its funny that as a younger person in the early 80's I thought it was great, then good, now I realize its just mediocre at best, saved by the remarkable performances of the two leading characters.

I agree and feel the same way.

Frankly this project is about 5 years too late in the making. It should have been done while While Brando and Chris Reeve were still with us.

I thoght it was pretty good when it came out in theater,I liked it more than Superman the Movie back then.Of course I saw it on TV recently and it's not as good as I remembered it.

K.M.