Williams to do OotP?

JWfangirl1992

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's your point? The argument is that the same people - i.e. director, screenplaywright, composer - collaborate on the series non-stop for seven movies; one movie every 18 months.  

That is not how the Bond films worked.

Yes it is.

What did we tell you people about asking Dan? He is reliable, accesible, and has access to people who can answer these questions.

Hooray! Hooray! And I still hope Maestro Williams chooses to return to the HP franchise. And scores everything else he can possibly fit into his schedule.

No, please no! I hope Williams stays away from bursting schedules like his 2005 punch-your-lights-out marathon.

I'd rather have two perfect scores than four great ones. I admit that as a John Williams afficiando, you're somewhat comfortable in any position :)

What's your point? The argument is that the same people - i.e. director, screenplaywright, composer - collaborate on the series non-stop for seven movies; one movie every 18 months.  

That is not how the Bond films worked.

Yes it is.

Er... Which seven Bond films then? Terence Young was gone by Goldfinger (but came back for Thunderball), Maibaum by Thunderball... Unless it's the Moore films. I don't familiarise myself with them.

Though you are partly right, they were a year non stop for the first four, then two years each consecutive, my mistake.

Yeah but who is really the boss of the movies to choose which composer to use? Isn't up to the movie Director himself? If the director decide to use this composer than that composer will do it unless the music composer himself decline the offer for his reasons. Seriously someone needs to point out to them to some really good well known film composer other than John Williams otherwise they going to scew up the Harry Potter series  

Danny Elfman is one

James Newton Howard probably do a pretty good job

Howard Shore - I dunno  he probably turn Harry Potter into a Lord of the Rings kinda feel  

Michael Giacchino - I dunno never heard anyone music, but according from I heard from this forum he pretty good.  

Anyone others composer that you think of that will do a pretty job other than Patrick Doyle.  

And another thing they now starting to use different directors beside using different film composers  

First Two movies are done by Chris Columbus. The Third movie was done by Alfonso Cuarón, The fourth movie was done by Mike Newell and now the fifth film is going to done by David Yates.  

I mean compare the Harry Potter series with the Star Wars Series. They using different directors and different composers except for the first three done by John Williams for Harry Potter series and they use the same director with the Star Wars and the same film composer as well.

Do I, as a non-native English speaker, have the right to get a headache reading this? (No offense :))

According to Mugglenet.com:

Nicholas Hooper to score OOTP

Nicholas Hooper, one of the UK's leading media composers, is set to compose the soundtrack for the Order of the Phoenix movie. In 2004, he won the Best Original Score BAFTA for The Young Visitors and was nominated several other times for the prestigious awards.

My comments:

WOW! This is SO IMPRESSIVE! They went from Mr. The Very Best (John Williams) to Mr. Not So Good (Patrick Doyle) to Mr. Just Plain Nobody! They really don't give a damn about who composes the music, do they? ROTFLMAO

:cry: * Is VERY disappointed indeed * ;)

Well, looking at his filmography, I suppose that's not so far fetched, because he scored about 8 of Yates' film projects. Has anybody listened to any of his music?

Tim, who is now trying to find some stuff.

My comments:

WOW! This is SO IMPRESSIVE! They went from Mr. The Very Best (John Williams) to Mr. Not So Good (Patrick Doyle) to Mr. Just Plain Nobody! They really don't give a damn about who composes the music, do they? ROTFLMAO

:cry: * Is VERY disappointed indeed * ;)

Not that I give a crap about Harry Potter but aren't you being a bit premature? Who knows maybe he will write a good score.

A lot of people liked Doyle's score and there are a lot of people who didn't. It can go both ways but you are being a bit premature saying that no one gives a damn about the new composer for this movie.

If this is Yates' steady composer, it would only make sense for Yates to bring Hooper along to Potter.

- Marc, who will nonetheless treat any HP news as rumors until an official statement is made.

Harry Potter music is just going to go downhill after John Williams left the series.

Wouldn't that be the case in any series that Williams set foot in? ;)

At least it's someone who has yet to prove himself in the A- list film genre. And I sincerely hope it's someone who has enough dignity not to slap his own signature sound on Harry Potter.

It's not Doyle, so at least that's a major step forward.

"According to HPANA, Nicholas Hooper, one of the UK's leading media composers, is set to compose the soundtrack for the Order of the Phoenix movie. In 2004, he won the Best Original Score BAFTA for The Young Visitors and was nominated several other times for the prestigious awards. This has yet to be confirmed by Warner Brothers so stay tuned for more." - Mugglenet.com

I know what your thinking...

"Who?!?"

He's apparently a TV composer in the UK. The BAFTA he won was for TV Composition not film. Can we please get some sort of letter going on this page, we can all sign it digitally or something and then someone can print it and send it to David Yates (OotP Director) and John's Agency?

If some hundred/ thousand people would actually WRITE letters to Warner, it might do something, but I'm afraid the majority of JWfan wouldn't get their butts up to do that.

Is it possible that Warner doesn't care about who's doing the score anymore? Apparently GoF sold well enough to make them think as long as it is a Harry Potter soundtrack and has one or two songs, we can hire about anyone.

If some hundred/ thousand people would actually WRITE letters to Warner, it might do something, but I'm afraid the majority of JWfan wouldn't get their butts up to do that.

So true. I feel that it is a good idea and if someone feels like doing it, they should write a couple letters using aliases saying Williams should be brought back. But I am going to side with most of America and say I'm to damn lazy to do that.

As much as I want Williams, think of how Hooper must feel if he were to find out he was going to be replaced by Williams. He has a big task ahead of him. Replacing him would be an insult, especially if it were by the public.

Well he hasn't been confirmed so we don't know for sure if he's doing it, but lets look at the facts. John Williams= World renown composer of over dozens and dozens of scores. This Hooper guy= who?

- Marc, who will nonetheless treat any HP news as rumors until an official statement is made.

A sound policy. Mugglenet is a good news source and more reliable than anything on IMDB, but is still very quick to jump the gun on rumors involving the movies.

A sound policy. Mugglenet is a good news source and more reliable than anything on IMDB, but is still very quick to jump the gun on rumors involving the movies.

I pretty much agree but I know a lot of people here do not.

Is it possible that Warner doesn't care about who's doing the score anymore? Apparently GoF sold well enough to make them think as long as it is a Harry Potter soundtrack and has one or two songs, we can hire about anyone.

there you go,that's the answer.I can't believe the mediocre GoF film made so much money or people would want ot see it more than once or twice at the most.

K.M.

I liked GoF...but to each his own. It made up for PoA, now before people start yelling at me I felt it was to artsy for a young persons taste. I mean it was a good 'Oh this film may win a few awards' but I felt it wasn't really a 'Harry Potter'. I mean I dont care what anyone says, you cannot out do SS.

I liked GoF...but to each his own. It made up for PoA, now before people start yelling at me I felt it was to artsy for a young persons taste. I mean it was a good 'Oh this film may win a few awards' but I felt it wasn't really a 'Harry Potter'. I mean I dont care what anyone says, you cannot out do SS.

HEY HEY HEY!! YOU CAN'T HATE POA!! ONLY IDIOTS DISLIKE POA!! YOUR OPINION SUCKS!! :devil:

Indiana, who loves POA.

POA felt like a pure movie rather than a movie trying too hard to be like a picture book.

As much as I want Williams, think of how Hooper must feel if he were to find out he was going to be replaced by Williams. He has a big task ahead of him. Replacing him would be an insult, especially if it were by the public.

If you're going to be replaced by any composer in the world, you'd want it to be the best. He'd probably feel dishearted, but not insulted.

Not that I give a crap about Harry Potter but aren't you being a bit premature?  Who knows maybe he will write a good score.  

A lot of people liked Doyle's score and there are a lot of people who didn't.  It can go both ways but you are being a bit premature saying that no one gives a damn about the new composer for this movie.

Of course I indeed AM being very premature. I admit that. I was just so utterly disappointed with Doyle's Goblet of Fire that I was really hoping that someone I know to be good would do OotP. GoF is OK, but the more times I see the film, the more I find that it is most sincerely lacking a John Williams score. I really like Harry Potter (the books more than the films, but still...) and I really want the best for the Harry Potter films. Maybe Hooper actually WILL do a good job; I really hope so. I am looking forward to being pleasantly surprised, but I don't dare hope for it. My hopes have been thwarted once with GoF; there's no reason to assume it won't happen again... ;)

BTW: I really don't like the PoA film either. I like the PoA book best, but the film had too many parts missing and had to many "What the heck???"-moments. The absolutely awesome music by John Williams saved the film; otherwise it would've been a rather bad failure in my book. I liked GoF much better. But contrary to PoA, here the reasonably good film makes up for the rather bland score. I still consider CoS and PS better films. These both were good films that really felt like the books were coming to live right in front of your very eyes. PS had the better score, though the themes of CoS were excellent as well. And I really liked the humour in CoS: "Follow the butterflies" and "Can we panic now" are two of my favourite jokes. :devil:

Yates regular cinematographer Chris Seager was also suppose to be on HP5. Didn't stop the studio bringing in Swalomir (BLACK HAWK DOWN, KING ARTHUR) Idziak.

Our last hope is that Warner puts a stop to this rather illogical move. But my hopes are faint.

Bringing in your usual team might help your confidence, not necessarily the movie.

Good news about Idziak though- he's a fantastic DP. I don't know why they went back twice to Roger Pratt, after having John Seale and Michael Seresin. Idziak could work wonders, if given enough leeway (something I didn't feel Seale had too much of on the first film).

Hi everyone,

Quick introduction: My name is Andy and I’m the owner of Harry Potter Fan Zone, a HP fan site. I’m a long time reader of the boards, first time poster. I’m a huge JW fan (my personal favourite scores being The Terminal and Prisoner of Azkaban) and I thought I’d hop on over to these boards and share everything I know about the OOTP composer situation, if for nothing else than to let fellow JW/HP fans know what’s going on.

I’ve been in contact with Warner Bros. in London and in California, and they have confirmed that no composer has been decided upon for Order of the Phoenix. One of the producers (not David Heyman) has confirmed that Yates is indeed planning to choose Hooper (who he has collaborated with on many British TV projects). Nothing is, however, confirmed or decided upon – and WB has said they won’t be able to confirm it for a while (that is, at least, until principal photography finishes later this year).

As a huge Williams fan, I’m still holding onto an ounce of hope. Hope this was of some interest ;)

Andy

Hi Andy and welcome to the JWFan MB ;)

Thank you for that bit of news. There is still hope then. :) Lets just hope Williams could get back to the franchise and get the music back on track.

Yeah hope can do that to you. But what is life without hope?

Positive thinking is good for you Tim.