Least Listened To Score

Dean1700

There have been far to many threads about what our favourite score is or the best score ever but what CD is in your collection that is your least listened to. Maybe it is because the score is just bad or because you prefer to listen to something else instead. Are there any scores in your collection you have not listened to at all?

Mine are:

Harts War

The Last Castle and

The Edge

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not exactly a "score", but my only CD I've never listened to fully is the John Barry: Themeology. I generally just skip around tracks on it.

I only listened to Pirates of the Caribbean once or twice.

It used to be when I had to physically pull out a c.d. and play it Id'never listen to stuff like SPR,Acciddental Tourist and Stepmom.but now thanks to ipod,I load all JW scores periodically,as well as a bunch of other score albums I'd never listen to.

K.M.

Fitzwilly

Earthquake

Always

Sabrina

The Magnificent Seven

Valiant

Piranha

Mr. Baseball

Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Green Mile

Death Becomes Her

The Mephisto Waltz

Sleeping With The Enemy

Ghosts of Mississipi

The Count of Monte Cristo

Joe Vs. The Volcano

True Confessions

Deep Impact

The Jungle Book

The Agony and the Ecstacy

The Taking of Pelham 123

Almost all fo these are scores I barely picked up after the first listen (a couple I haven't really listened to yet).

My nicely boxed T2 soundtrack has collected dust ever since I purchased it about five years ago. What sounds great in a film doesn't necessarily sound great on my headphones. Synth is mostly shit as a stand alone listen. 8O

Graeme Revell's Tomb Raider.

David Arnold's Die Another Day.

Jerry Goldsmith's I.Q..

Elliot Goldenthal's Frida.

James Horner's The Forgotten.

I predict that James Newton Howard's King Kong will join this pile shortly.

Nonsense. Alex's useless provocations are rarely dumb.

But is it possible that his dumb provocations are rarely useless then?

:P

Yeah, saying you never listen to a score who isn't released yet is very intelligent.  :)

Neither is the grammar in that sentence.

Obviously sarcasm is in short supply in The Netherlands.

;)

The Jungle Book...Almost all fo these are scores I barely picked up after the first listen (a couple I haven't really listened to yet).

The '94 Poledouris score? Really?! Tell me that's one of the ones you haven't really listened to yet. It's really a fantastic score. Although some good stuff was left off the soundtrack, for the most part it has the highlights. If you haven't heard it, listen to it, like...now. If you have...wow. Just wow.

When you have over 600 film scores there are alot that might sit awhile before they get played again.

Now if you mean scores that I find dull, I don't have any in my collection. If I don't like it I don't waste my money buying it. If I'm not sure I'll sample the sound clips before purchasing it.

I like the statements of the themes in the Main Title. "Treasure Room" (oddly named, but that's the track) is one of my favorites also. "Civilization" is one of my favorites, my favorite part being the A part (there's actually three different cues in the track), with the cue-exclusive Civilization motif--which I like a lot. "Shere Khan Attacks" has some pretty cool action music, as does "Spoils." I really like the whole thing, but off the top of my head, there they are.

And I know the feeling, Mark. It's not so much that I'm bored of any scores that I own, it's just sometimes the rotation works so I don't hear stuff for a while. Usually when I buy something, I like it, and listen to it over and over for at least a week or so, then I'll move to a rotation of my previously bought stuff.

War Of The Worlds. Totally uninteresting in respect to melody and harmony. If ever there was a score that can't stand on its own, this is the one.

----------------

Alex Cremers

You've changed, Alex. You used to be cool.

There's nothing cool about bootlicking a run-of-the-mill album. As a serious work, WOTW would flunk on several accounts (two of which I already mentioned). It's noisy wallpaper that is obviously secondary to the film. The sad thing is, a good Williams would've outshone the film without any effort.

---------------

Alex Cremers

I can't agree more about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The underscoring is really nothing more than a rehash of Big Fish. I personally think Elfman is on some kind of a musical burnout. He needs a break.

There's nothing cool about bootlicking a run-of-the-mill album. As a serious work, WOTW would flunk on several accounts (two of which I already mentioned). It's noisy wallpaper that is obviously secondary to the film. The sad thing is, a good Williams would've outshone the film without any effort.

I actually think the score did outshine the film. The film barely even showed a war of the worlds going on, just some deadbeat and his rotten kids running and hiding from basement to basement.

I can't agree more about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  The underscoring is really nothing more than a rehash of Big Fish.  I personally think Elfman is on some kind of a musical burnout.  He needs a break.

I can really only listen to the Main Title and the songs. Even then, "Augustus Gloop" and "Veruca Salt" are the only ones I can handle.

I actually think the score did outshine the film.  The film barely even showed a war of the worlds going on, just some deadbeat and his rotten kids running and hiding from basement to basement.

Damn, that's true!

Blame H.G. Wells.

I can't blame the original work a director chooses to base his movie on. Spielberg is responsible for what is and what is not shown in his movie. For instance, Spielberg placed the story in 2005. Should we blame Wells for that also?

I'm quite happy with the 1953 version. There's actually a pretty impressive battle scene, some awesome special effects for the time, incredible alien craft designs and a noteworthy score by Leith Stevens. There's not much I don't like about that film.

Manchurian Candidate (2005)'s score. It sounded so good in the movie, and I hadn't bought a CD in such a long time. So I finally cracked and dished out 15 bucks for it. Needless to say it's absolutely awful and turned me off to buying CDs again for a very long time.

Manchurian Candidate (2005)'s score.  It sounded so good in the movie, and I hadn't bought a CD in such a long time.  So I finally cracked and dished out 15 bucks for it.  Needless to say it's absolutely awful and turned me off to buying CDs again for a very long time.

What about download it and listen to it before buying? That way, you'll know what to buy and what to avoid. :)

War Of The Worlds. Totally uninteresting in respect to melody and harmony. If ever there was a score that can't stand on its own, this is the one.

Yes, except for the Epilogue. I think that brass part is brilliant, listening to the clips of the track before the film came out, it sent shivers down my spine, and really got me psyched about the score. In the end, it was only used twice in the film, but that piece IMO says, more than anything else in the score 'The War of The Worlds'.

I don't get all this negativity towards WotW. I listen to it all the time, especially The Reunion :P

Plus I don't think the movie called for a very thematic approach (although I often hum the theme from the aforementioned track)

Then again, I've never listened through Superman, Witches of Eastwick or any SW OT's. I guess I'm more of a 90's/00's Williams fan...