John Williams' best end titles

Trumpeteer

Of the following films, which one has the best John Williams-composed end title?  

63 members have voted

1. 1.

• A.I. Artificial Intelligence
    • Attack of the Clones
    • Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    • E.T. The Extra-terrestrial
    • The Empire Strikes Back
    • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
    • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    • Jaws
    • Jurassic Park
    • The Phantom Menace
    • Raiders of the Lost Ark
    • The Reivers
    • Return of the Jedi
    • Saving Private Ryan
    • Schindler's List
    • Star Wars
    • Superman - The Movie
    • Hey! You left out the best end title he ever wrote......(explain in post)

Yes, we all disagree on many things concerning John Williams, but I would be surprised if anyone says the Man doesn't write damn fine end titles. Pick the best one from the list above. Then tell us why.

Of course, every John Williams end title isn't included -- just the top 15 in my opinion (and off the top of my head).

And naturally each one is great in its own way, and has different styles. But try to vote on the best end title composition based on logical criteria. And don't be surprised if you vote for a film that has, in your opinion, a bad overall score. For instance, I would have voted for the end title to The Empire Strikes Back (my favorite score), but that end title to A.I. just haunts me to this day.

Thanks!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Close Encounteres of the Third Kind! Awesome (with "When You Wish Upon a Star" incorporated in)

A very emotional piece.

Jamesyboy - you uses Jamesyboy II 'cause he is too lazy to sign in using his work computer...

Yes, we all disagree on many things concerning John Williams, but I would be surprised if anyone says the Man doesn't write damn fine end titles.

Actually I think that Williams' end titles are pretty lame...

;) LOL

BTW, I voted for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom :)

Very tough question. All the options are brilliant. Due to my current state of mind, I went for AOTC, although it's ubejct to change once in a while.

My fave at this time is Far and Away. It has all the major themes incorporated and blended together beautifully. I love it! End Titles from E.T., Harry Potter, and A.I. are also among my favorites.

Ray Barnsbury

I voted ESB. I love the sped up version of Yoda's theme and just the way all the themes are merged together.

Has anyone ever noticed that the end titles to Last Crusade on the OST sound like it was cut and pasted in parts. Mainly between each theme.

I voted for "Return of The Jedi".

The end title music is just so exciting, like another big adventure is awaiting out there. I mean, it leaves you so excited.

Every time I listen to that end title music, I feel something special in me.

The ewok parade almost makes me laugh, the Luke & Leia theme makes me feel serious, and the ending fanfare closes the Star Wars saga for ever!

I'm a little late on the reply but i truly believe that Jaws had the best end titles because it was a softer and slower version of the chase music, and yet it was a suitable close for a thrilling film. It was short but sweet.

On a similar note, listening to Flight and Technology from American Journey (my favourite track from that CD) reminds me of the end titles of Jaws - another nice ending.

And now for my final thought: has anyone realised how sick the following emoticon looks? :)

ewwwww,

I voted for ESB, but I haven't actually seen AI yet. (yes, really.)

But now I'm intriguled, so I'll have to go get it out...

I voted for Jurassic Park because I like the soft playing piano and the great reprise of the two Jurassic Park Main Themes.

:) Dune Sea /Star Wars - John Williams

You forgot Schindler's List, the most beautiful Piano version of a theme Williams did other than E.T.

-Chris

:oops: I agree 100,000,000 percent.

Ummmmmm...........what Neil said?!

Temple of Doom's credits are great, as are Empire's, but Supe's is the best...both the film version and the original soundtrack's version. I actually prefer the latter.

The complete version of the Temple of Doom End Credits is fantastic, especially the rendition as Indy and Willie kiss and the kids run to them. And Williams splicing Short Round's Theme with the Raiders March was very clever. That gets my vote.

The big shark got my nod - the most restrained and dreamy end title JW has ever written. But how about The Towering Inferno, The Poseidon Adventure, Earthquake, Jaws 2, The Sugarland Express.........................?

I guess I'm saying that we're spoilt for choice.

Damien

I can't believe CE3K is number 2!!! :wow:

Isn't that the one where Johnny quotes "When You Wish Upon A Star"????

Like what the hell is that about?? :thumbup:

Spielberg thought it was a very familar tune so it would make that scene more comfortable :thumbup:

I can't believe CE3K is number 2!!!  :wow:  

Isn't that the one where Johnny quotes "When You Wish Upon A Star"????

Like what the hell is that about??  :thumbup:

Geesh, I hate ignorance... ;)

Me too, though I can't say I've heard what you're talking about.

Anyway, ESB wins by a mile. Clearly. The love theme and the force theme interwoven at the start is great, fitting for the film, and blends excellently with the end titles wipe. The three themes that follow are literally perfect, with great pace and rhythm to them. They blend seamlessly like no other 'themes summary' I've heard, and the powerful dive into the love theme is superb. It's simplicity and power is conveyed well, and it follows into the end passages very well.

And then the ending! That ending is the best of any piece of music (bar Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye, naturally).

One of my favourits is:

Born on the fourth of July

The trumpet - solo at the end is breathtaking.

Really marvellous played by I believe it is Tim Morrisson

:)

It really is one of my favourites

Empire Strikes Back forever people!  :)

N°2 Temple of Doom

N°3 Raiders

But I've so many JW's films yet to see.... :)

Sorry, Ray. The "other" option is back.

This is my first poll, so please bear with me.  :oops:

It's no problem, I was just observing. I wasn't trying to get on your case!

Great poll, by the way. :)

Ray Barnsbury

I voted for "Return of The Jedi".  

The end title music is just so exciting, like another big adventure is awaiting out there. I mean, it leaves you so excited.  

Every time I listen to that end title music, I feel something special in me.  

The ewok parade almost makes me laugh, the Luke & Leia theme makes me feel serious, and the ending fanfare closes the Star Wars saga for ever!

which one the original or Victory Celebration

I voted for Jurassic Park because that is my favorite music of all time. However, I love listening to the piano in ET because, with my excellent headphones, I can hear the creak of the piano bench as the piano player (John Williams?) adjusts his or her position.

~Conor

I voted for another, cause The Ultimate Final version of AOTC is undoubtedly the best end credits I've ever heard!

Really??? Is this different from what is on the soundtrack album??

i voted for Temple of Doom, though i was a bit upset that Far and Away wasn't an option. that has great end titles.

i voted for Temple of Doom, though i was a bit upset that Far and Away wasn't an option. that has great end titles.

Thank you! Finally someone agrees with me. I chose Far and Away myself.

Ray Barnsbury

I just hope JW doesn't do anymore end titles like The Phantom Menace where he "cuts and pastes" music alreadfy presented in the score exactly the same way in the end credits. He was doing that for a while.

I voted for another, cause The Ultimate Final version of AOTC is undoubtedly the best end credits I've ever heard!

Really??? Is this different from what is on the soundtrack album??

I was joking, that version is my own personal edit. :)

I looove the Empire Strikes Back medley, as well as the music leading up to it -- and whoever mentioned Jaws, thank you! I love that as well.

But my vote goes to Superman, since it is twice as long as any of the others (or at least it was in the original cut), and therefore gives one more time to sit in the theatre and savor the experience!

I wonder if Morn recognizes Williams' tribute to Grainger in Far and Away. Ever hear a piece (based on a couple of Irish reels) called Molly on the Shore?

The track called "Blowing Off Steam," which also turns up in the end credits. I'm surpised you don't know it. It's one of Grainger's most famous pieces. What would Uncle Percy say? :)

How are you guys related, anyway?

Great grandfathers cousin :) I have just listened to some samples of it, and yes you could make quite a case :)

I'm sure it was intentional. Made me smile when I heard it in the theatre. One of the few post-E.T. scores that I actually enjoy.