What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just mean I find more stuff I like in the short form of the medium than in the long form, that's all. Which was simply a comment inspired by Cremer's "Golden Age of Film?" comment.

You do realize that my question to Marian about the golden age of film wasn't altogether serious, right? It's the age of remakes and sequels.

I noticed. But I'm optimistic about movies. Not so much about Hollywood.

Jurassic World

Decent, but overstuffed. I'd like to see it again without an intermission, because it was placed at a terrible, terrible point in the film. The Raptors-in-the-army subplot was fucking retarded and could have easily been excluded. What was the point of D'Onofrio's character anyway?

I liked the film's themes of reality vs. spectacle and nature vs. control, but I still feel more could have been done. A fun romp, but not a great movie.

Giacchino's score is alright, but hearing John Williams' classic themes over the end credits made for a stark contrast that ended in favor of Williams.

I'll see it again on BluRay and have a little four-film marathon with the franchise. Should be fun!

What is up with intermissions in foreign countries? Sounds like a such a horrible idea to me! That never happens here.

What was the intermission point?

Yes, it's quite annoying. Certain chains of theatres have intermissions, others don't. JT Cinemas always features an intermission (unless you go to their Dolby Theater in Eindhoven). Pathé Cinemas doesn't. The nearest Pathé is forty minutes away, so I went to my local JT.

The intermission came right after

the kids escape the Indominus by jumping over the cliff. They crawl out of the water and Zach is proud of Gray for the first time. It's quite a touching moment.

INTERMISSION

After the intermission, the movie picked up when Claire and Owen arrive at the dead Apatosaurus. It's two touching scenes in a row that are supposed to be the emotional midpoint of the film. Zach starts to respect and bond with his brother, while Claire sees the dinosaurs as animals for the first time and starts to care for them. Having a fifteen-minute intermission in between really ruined this part.

FIFTEEN MINUTES??????? that's WAY too long!

And yea, that's a bad point to do it in.

Do they sell beer in Dutchland? ;)

Movie theatres in The Netherlands typically sell Grolsch bottles with the distinctive swingtop cap:

52410fb0-a548-012e-aa24-0050569439b1.jpg

JT Cinemas also serves wine.

FIFTEEN MINUTES??????? that's WAY too long!

And yea, that's a bad point to do it in.

Well, you'll need fifteen minutes if three hundred people are going to get out of their seats, head to the lobby to stack up on refreshments and/or go take a whizz and have to get back in their seats.

I usually remain in my seat, anxious for the movie to get underway again. Intermissions are bullshit.

The theater I saw Jurassic World in also served beer. $7.50 for a freaking Sam Summer! Disgusting!

I always bring my drinks and snacks from home.

I'm not paying six euros for a drink and a bag of M&M's. I can get that at the supermarket for half that amount.

I spent freaking SEVENTEEN DOLLARS last night on bottled water, popcorn, and chocolate covered pretzels at the cinema. Bah!

Now that I've seen all the Giacchino scored films, I'll watch all the rest of the summer films at home :)

I always bring my drinks and snacks from home.I'm not paying six euros for a drink and a bag of M&M's. I can get that at the supermarket for half that amount.

They won't let you in here unless you're one of those guys who carries a European handbag, aka a purse.

I can't believe Jason will stay home and miss Jaws.

What is up with intermissions in foreign countries? Sounds like a such a horrible idea to me! That never happens here.

What was the intermission point?

I'd love for an intermission in all movies. I had to get up for a piss twice during the movie.

I'm the oldest(which means I shouldn't) and apparently the only one here with a bladder that holds a bit of liquids.

James used to refer to it as the 12 hour bladder. I could drive from Little Rock to Ft Walton Beach Florida without the need to stop and pee.

132458806-2221f6aa-8fe4-4790-ac29-b8202b

Inside Out

Wonderful movie from Pixar here. They wisely chose a relate-able event for the real-life situation - an 11 year old girl being forced to move from Minnesota to San Francisco, leaving her friends behind and having to try out for an all new hockey team - to showcase the real story: The emotions in her brain (Joy, Sadness, Fear, Disgust, and Anger) having to deal with the various situations that come up as a result of the move. When a mix-up happens, Joy and Sadness accidentally get shut out of "headquarters" and have to find their way back before Riley goes through with a really bad decision, making their way through such places as Abstract Thought, Imagination Land, Dream Productions, The Unconscious Sub-basement, Long Term Memory Storage, and other such places.

It's a wildly imaginative film with ace acting. The five main emotions (Amy Poehler as Joy, Mindy Kaling as Disgust, Phyllis Smith as Sadness, Bill Hader as Fear and Lewis Black as Anger) are all perfect in their roles, I especially loved Lewis Black as Anger, he gets some of the best lines! I wasn't aware that so many other talents are in here as well, including Richard Kind (who is EXCELLENT), Paula Poundstone, Bobby Moynihan, Frank Oz, Flea, and of course John Ratzenberger. So much fun!

This is a good movie for adults and children alike, though really young children probably won't really "get" the crux of the story. I think there is enough sight gabs for them to be entertained however, and at a scant 94 minutes (8 of which is credits) they won't be bored I don't think. The ending will hit home for a lot of parents, or anyone in touch with their emotions. This is a wonderful film.

That is still far more then the average person drinks Joe. 2 liters is the recommended intake, but that includes the water contained in food.

maybe in your climate. I can sweat out a gallon of liquid easy on a 90 degree day with high humidity.

Jason how does it compare quality wise with recent Pixar films? Some reviews say it is the best D.P. film ever.

I don't think it reaches the perfection of their early work like Toy Story 1-2, Monsters Inc, or The Incredibles. But I like it more than Cars, WALL E, Up, Brave, or Monsters U.

28698392.sfxl.jpg?resize=600:*

Tomorrowland

I actually saw this a few weeks back on opening day, just have been to lazy to write about until now.

This is an interesting, but flawed film. For about 2/3rds its a fun, PG-rated action movie with a couple kids having to outrun robots and stuff like that set inside a confusing framing story. Some cool action and chase scenes here. Then the third act becomes this other kind of thing about the end of the world, optimism vs pessimism, and using our energy to do positive things vs perpetuating the bad. It wasn't really set up well enough by the earlier parts. I think a nice selection of adults will like this movie, especially if you are OK with the film's message, but kids will probably only like the beginning parts and then be quite bored by the end. I enjoyed it, especially to showcase the amazing score by Giacchino. Fun summer romp for me.

I'm glad Brad Bird got to make this film and hope it finds a new life on home video. I wish he was making 1906 next instead of Incredibles 2 (which will never be as good as the original), but he probably needs another success before he can be adventurous again.

I would put UP and Toy Story 3 as their best. If it's better then wow

I purposely didn't list those 2 because I'm not sure where Inside Out falls for me compared to those two. But compared to the ones I did list its easily placed.

Giacchino's score is alright, but hearing John Williams' classic themes over the end credits made for a stark contrast that ended in favor of Williams.

I agree.

Gia's score is OK, but it cannot withstand a direct comparison with JW's scores, which this score forces by directly quoting them.

The music that plays during the closing shot of the film, the T-Rex roaring while looking upon his new dominion.... That theme just isnt good enough! I actually realized that while watching that scene. It just won't do!

ew-ultron-image-1200x457.jpg

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Saw this a few weeks back but just hadn't written about it yet. It's a mixed bag of good stuff and bad, unfortunately.

While the first movie did a good job of starting with the Avengers all being separate entities and then finding a way to bring them all together, this film opens with them all together on an extended mission and then finds a away to separate them all, at least until the final battle. The most intriguing idea isTony and Banner working together on a new AI to protect the earth from the next alien attack, but even that is a bit underdeveloped. Before long their AI is all self-aware, has killed JARVIS, and is out in a body recruiting like-minded people to exterminate all humans, as robot AIs seem to often want to do. They realize Ultron wants unobtanium.....eh, vibranium so pursue him to some African place where a Black Panther character can be introduced. Then we get a pretty great battle scene between Hulk and Tony in his Hulk-Buster armor. Cool fight!

Then the film kinda stops for a while as the Avengers hang out in Hawkeye's random hideaway, where he has a wife and children that were never set up before (Suddenly Black Widow and Hawkeye are just BFFs, when I swear Avengers was setting them up to be a couple, two spies in love). So the movie spends a time setting up future standalone movies like Civil War and stuff, and then Thor returns just in time after having a confusing vision to create The Vision and they can all go take on Ultron in the Standard Marvel Movie Final Big Battle.

I think part of the problem with this movie is that it didn't seem "Special" like the first Avengers, which was something different and bigger than the individual movies had been until that point (Iron Man 1-2, Hulk, Thor 1, and Cap 1). Since the first one, the individual films had gotten bigger, especially Cap 2. In fact, various Avengers had already saved the whole world once again in Iron man 2, Cap 2, and Thor 2, so having to save the planet once again just isn't as meaningful now. (I guess this is why they will be going with saving the Entire Universe for the 3rd and 4th entries).

So, this film felt like more of a continuation of the general MCU flow than a game-changer like the first movie was. Just another entry. Also like the first I feel it set up stuff that won't pay off. The best characters in this movie are the new ones, surprisingly: Ultron (Spader was great!), Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, and The Vision. Annoyingly they had to kill of Quicksilver, just to have the Standard Joss Whedon Death I guess. Some of the best scenes were the brief ones between Black Widow and The Vision, and I would love that it was a setup for a future movie featuring them both, but I'm sure that won't happen.

Nick Fury, Rhodey, Falcon, and Maria Hill all return but... eh. There's so many characters in this movie none of them get to shine much. The film should have been 20 minutes longer for sure.

I honestly don't remember one thing about the score in the film.

Black Widow and Hawkeye were never set up as lovers in the first film.

Natascha even states specifically "love is for children, I owe him a debt"

They are close, there us a bond there, and trust. But it never felt like they were going for a romance.

Same as with The Winter Soldier actually

Well, I didn't feel like The Winter Soldier was setting up a Black Widow / Cap romance, but the whole thing where Hawkeye has this hidden family really comes out of nowhere is this film

Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, The Vision, and Ultron are really the best characters in this film.

Tony is Tony. Hulk disappears. Cap is kinda boring.

Black Widow/Hulk romance was odd. Seemed to come out of nowhere with no setup.

Rhodey, Maria Hill, Fury, and Wilson are almost cameos.

But the twins get a lot of cool scenes, The Vision is awesome in all his scenes, and Spader chews the scenery greatly as Ultron.

Actually Hawkeye got a lot of good lines too.

But overall, it's not a strong entry in the series.

You do realize that my question to Marian about the golden age of film wasn't altogether serious, right? It's the age of remakes and sequels.

Some of the great classics from the 30s and 40s are remakes and sequels.

I know some movies in the '30s and '40s got remade because of the invention of sound film. It was a new era for the medium.

On the previous discussion ... I make sure I've peed before going into the cinema. I also prefer to have eaten before going in, too (I would actually be delighted if cinemas stopped selling 'noisy' food like popcorn, nachos, wrapped sweets etc ... I want to hear the movie, not some idiot stuffing his face).