The Official Indiana Jones Pitch Correction thread

Thank you for your contribution gentlemen. But I'd rather this be a thread devoid of the nonsense of the Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (official Thread), EXPANDED VERSIONS of Raiders, Temple of Doom and Last Crusade - Part 2

I'm with Steef on this one, I think it's a rather good idea to have a seperate thread for this. Don't let it degrade like what the Official Indiana Jones box set collection thread has done please.

Thank you Trent.

OK here's Johnny Boy's info from that thread:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I've just about finished pitch-correcting Raiders. Its definitely easier using the DCC as reference. The only tracks I haven't touched yet are the new ones: Washington Men/Indy's Home, Bad Dates, and Indy Rides the Statue.

Since I have nothing but the movie to compare it to (I don't have the leaked Raiders) it might take a little longer to get them right, so give me a few days for the last 3 cues.

Raiders of the Lost Ark

1. Main Title: South America, 1936 --- - 8.7 cents

2. The Idol Temple --- - 8.1 cents

3. Escape From The Temple --- - 4.1 cents

4. Flight From Peru --- - 6.2 cents

5. Washington Men / Indy's Home ---

6. Journey To Nepal --- - 10.9 cents

7. The Medallion --- - 3.7 cents

8. Flight To Cairo --- - 2.1

9. The Basket Game --- - 5 cents

10. Bad Dates ---

11. The Map Room: Dawn --- - 27 cents

12. Reunion in the Tent/Searching for the Well --- - 2.2

13. The Well Of The Souls --- - 12.7 cents (actually closer to 12.74, but impossible to acheive)

14. Indy Rides The Statue ---

15. The Flying Wing --- - 7.4

16. Desert Chase --- 0:00 - 2:08 --- - 1.8 cents

16. Desert Chase --- 2:08 - 5:33 --- - 4.9 cents

16. Desert Chase --- 5:33 - end --- - 14 cents

17. Marion's Theme --- - 8.1

18. The German Sub --- + 2.9 Cents (Yeah, its true.)

19. Ride To The Nazi Hideout --- - 4.5 Cents

20. Ark Trek --- - 2.2 Cents

21. The Miracle Of The Ark --- 0:00 - 1:20 --- - 8 cents (still in flux)

21. The Miracle Of The Ark --- 1:20 - end --- - 1.5 cents

22. Washington Ending/Raiders March --- - 4.5

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What about TOD?

Ok here is some TOD related info I managed to track down:

Short Round Helps --- 0:00 - 1:15 + 7.5 cents

Return To The Village --- + 17 cents (still in flux)

End Credits --- - 7.5 cents

Short Round Helps --- 0:00 - 1:15 + 7.5 cents

I'll repost the approximate pitch corrections I noted down for the Last Crusade ('original') bootleg:

- Packet from Dad: -1,876

- Inscription on the Rock: -1,415

- Into the Catacombs: -1,143

- The Two Joneses: -1,829

- The Two Joneses Indy Fanfare: -1,960

- Elsa’s Betrayal: -1,663

- Iskenderun: -0,908

(by the way, there's a very small pop you can remove at approx. 1.41)

- Koniggratzer: -1,664

- Keeping up with the Joneses Film Version: -1,317

- Papa Jones Shot: -2,406

- Death of Kazim Indy Fanfare (2): -0,825

(Obviously, I can't compare Death of Kazim Indy Fanfare 1 to the film since, well, it's not in it.)

The following tracks are not from the original boot but from the inferior, pressed Volume 2 bootleg which had the hiss removed. Watch out: the left and right channels of these two tracks should be reversed.

Escape in the Truck: -1,761

Blasphemy/Berlin: -1,499

Well, I was going to post my info, but I've been beat to the punch. Blast!

Anyway, I used Sony Acid with the SFX pitch correction plugin, with anti-alias filter on and accuracy set to 3.

I still have to correct "Washington Men/Indy's Home", "Bad Dates", and "Indy Rides The Statue", so those are forthcoming.

I will be working on ToD soon. Hopefully I'll be able to finish in the next week or so. Credit should go to Jason LeBlanc for helping me with reference for unreleased material.

still don't think there are any pitch problems in Last Crusade. I have a great ear, but it is possible I'm wrong. However, in comparison to the film, previous CD, and my own familiarity with the material, I believe its okay. If anyone else has noticed anything, please let us know.

More to come...

SoundForge 4.5 also has the ability to adjust pitch, as either a bend (apply a graphic function to the sound file) or a shift (by either semitones or cents).

It's a great idea to have this as a standalone page, something that could be added to Jason LeBlanc's site as a short and sweet guide. It's not something that everyone is going to feel is necessary to do.

Yea the pitch correction stuff will go on www.indianajonesmusic.com once it's all compiled together. I appreciate all the work everyone is doing figuring it out!

I don't know what units you have access to in Cool Edit, which is the precursor to Adobe Audition.

Cent at Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cents_(music) defines 1200 cents as equal to one octave — a frequency ratio of 2:1 — and one semitone (the interval between two adjacent piano keys) is equal to 100 cents.

• 2 weeks later...

But how do these cents translate to Audacity for instance?

Eg, is -1,5 cents the same as -0,015 then?

Anyway, info coming from me is in Audacity's percentage format.

Working on Temple of Doom now, but I think I'll leave the cues that don't need merging alone.

- Indy Negotiates seems to be in order, as is - more or less I think - The Nightclub Brawl.

- Out of Fuel was practically impossible to determine due to cut measures, the inserts, and sound effects. I suspect it's perhaps a little bit slow but not noticeable, the edit works without any correction.

The album tracks are easy peas of course; these timings should be approximately correct:

- Fast Streets of Shanghai: -0,264

- Slalom on Mt Humol: -0,260

- Short Round's Theme: -0,272

I'm curious if all the album tracks will end up with what can perhaps be assumed as the same small speed-up.

My pitch correction : Stop comparing the tracks back and forth with DVD rips and the DCC Raiders.

Yeah, seriously, we know. You can take a rest from this.

Why, we know the DCC Raiders is correct?

Again,is it worth possibly degrading overall sound quality to match the DCC Raiders exactly ?

I'd do it if I was 100% sure of the software I was using and 100% sure of the correction I was doing .Nothing I've read so far tells me someone has the true answer. There's no point changing the pitch by 1% if I could still be 1% off one way or the other after the correction.

Actually, Mark, if you take a track, compare it to the DCC version, and change the pitch until it matches in length, that's the answer. There's also no degradation of quality if you use the right method. At least, there's no degradation that I can hear, and I consider myself an audiophile.

The tricky part is tracks that are composites of multiple takes, so different parts of the tracks have to be adjusted by different amounts.

Regarding The Last Crusade. The short Indy Fanfare that opens On The Tank, were does it belong in the film?

Wrong thread

My pitch correction : Stop comparing the tracks back and forth with DVD rips and the DCC Raiders.

Indeed. Aren't we just really splitting hairs here? And, further more, I'm finding those pitch correction cent's numbers a little hard to believe. Some of those numbers indicated near complete key changes. Either I don't watch the movies and listen to the scores enough to notice, or my ear simply doesn't care. I'm thinking it's the later.

This thread should be called "The Official Temple of Doom Pitch Correction"

Raiders, the only track that seriuosly needs pitch correction is "Map Room: Dawn"

Now TOD, mamma mia... :)

Yeah... I think so too, actually... and it was mastered by Steve Hoffman... I don't think he would allow such thing to happen...

But I can live with the faster pitch from Raiders (except Map Room: Dawn).

But not with the loooooower pitch from TOD... that one really needs our attention...

TOD's lower pitch is much more obvious than Raiders' faster pitch... actually I'm not saying all tracks from TOD have wrong pitches, but the majority of the unreleased tracks have...

I think that when it comes to action/adventure score, the music must be fast... so the faster pitch from Raiders is somehow acceptable for me... that's why I'm indignated with TOD...

The Scroll seems more or less ok. The film version may be an alternate, not sure.

The Secret Passage is definitely ok.

Thus far I still haven't encountered an unreleased track which is noticeably (and by noticeably, I mean not only by ear but also noticeably in an editing programme with the film track and the album track aligned) changed in pitch. Apparently it's more at the end of the album.

The album tracks have been sped up though - see above.

Update:

Nocturnal Activities: -0,264

Bug Tunnel & Death Trap: -0,249

Again, the same constant.

Check out the film version, but isn't it pretty obvious on the album track? Listen at howw it slooows doooown.

Well, I don't have the film on hand to compare, but I can't hear anything, not in pitch at least. Remember that the orchestra plays to a conductor, not a click track. It's possible Williams was doing a very slight ritardando to hit a sync point.

Sorry for the lack of updates. I haven't been able to get around to ToD, but I will be working on them in the next few days. As far as I can tell (and I'm having to use dvd rips and leaks) the 3 unreleased Raiders tracks are okay, which is strange. The leaked Raiders has some longer tails and pauses in places, but from a pitch standpoint, I haven't noticed any problems, though like I said, I haven't really been able to focus intently on it.

ToD has far less in the way of pitch problems, though there are some obvious places, such as the finale from disc 5, which I've already posted. I'll get working asap.