Gondor peasant 1: Who was that eagle?

Gondor peasant 2: Must be a king eagle.

Gondor peasant 1: How do you know?

Gondor peasant 2: His crown feathers are held on with shit.

A very intriguing theory, however your timeline is messy. 2000 B.C.?! Come on BloodBoal...since when did Christ walk the grounds of Arda?

When did I mention Christ? You should reread more carefully, Merciful One.

Where does these names come from, Merciful One , The Messenger?

-hornist, TheThirsty

Those are names given on the MB. Or taken. Anyway no one has earned them or anything like that.

But I think we can soon have our Seven: The Thirsty, the Messenger, The Merciful, Sleepy, Dopey, Wise and Grumpy.

i was going to mention that birds can have feathery crowns-crests...

but i was beaten to it! :blink:

But if it was present from the Dwarves... then unless they are extremely talented hairdressers... which with the look of some of them...they may well be!

i was going to mention that birds can have feathery crowns-crests...

but i was beaten to it! :blink:

But if it was present from the Dwarves... then unless they are extremely talented hairdressers... which with the look of some of them...they may well be!

The golden crown was a gift from the Dwarves, I mean a literal crown you put on your head. No feathers, a metal substance formed into a circlet with possible decorations placed on a person's and or beast's head.

-hornist, TheThirsty

Those are names given on the MB. Or taken. Anyway no one has earned them or anything like that.

But I think we can soon have our Seven: The Thirsty, the Messenger, The Merciful, Sleepy, Dopey, Wise and Grumpy.

We need nine ! Nine to face black riders!

And who exactly do all these nicknames pertain to.

A very intriguing theory, however your timeline is messy. 2000 B.C.?! Come on BloodBoal...since when did Christ walk the grounds of Arda?

When did I mention Christ? You should reread more carefully, Merciful One.

Forgive me Messenger, I wrongly assumed what you meant with B.C.

I should have known that it stood for Before Celebron...

Although I doubt the eagles were around then.

-hornist, TheThirsty

Well I am obviously Wise and Grumpy. I don't know yet who should we assign Dopey and Sleepy.

Well I am obviously Wise and Grumpy. I don't know yet who should we assign Dopey and Sleepy.

Hey, you can't be both! That's against the rules! You're either Wise or Grumpy, not both!

I rear ended a car a few days ago. The driver got out of the other car, and he was a dwarf! And he was mad! He looked up at me and said "I am NOT happy!"

I said to him, "Then which one are you?"

I rear ended a car a few days ago. The driver got out of the other car, and he was a dwarf! And he was mad! He looked up at me and said "I am NOT happy!"

:rimshot:

No, none that would conform to the world of Tolkien.

I suppose a huge eagle with a crown on its head is fine though.

But of course it is.

250px-Coat_of_arms_of_Poland-official3.png

It belongs in the Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs thread!

No, actually it belong to the "Who Gives A Shit!" thread...

I have officially started my "get ready for the hobbit" phase, I am starting by playing the Hobbit Game.

Gondor pheasant 1: Who was that eagle?

Gondor pheasant 2: Must be a king eagle.

Gondor pheasant 1: How do you know?

Gondor pheasant 2: His crown feathers are held on with shit.

Better

Now those are more feasible to talk about his avian king as gondor peasants would talk about his human king ;)

'2001: A Space Odyssey' tech pioneer on 'Hobbit' footage: 'A fabulous and brave step in the right direction':

http://insidemovies....it-frame-speed/

Wow, that article was a fascinating read. Thank you for posting, I really enjoyed reading it!

You mentioned “my movie” earlier. Is that something you’re actively working on?

I’ve been working on this screwball idea all my life, and here I am at this point of my life and I’m looking at what’s going on, and I’m not seeing anyone really understanding the implications of high-frame rate, giant screens, higher brightness, and what I would call extremely immersive cinematic experiences. So I’ve decided I’ve got to direct again because no one else is going to do it for me. The movie I’m developing is a science-fiction space movie; I’m trying to pick up where I think 2001 left off. I’ve been writing screenplays and developing technology to do it. I’ve actually built a stage on my property here in Massachusetts where I’m experimenting with 3-D at 120 frames a second projected on a deeply curved hemispheric screen that is silver, so it reflects the light back to the audience. It’s three times the brightness of a normal movie. I want to make something that goes as far into this very intense immersive experience for the audience that I possibly can. I want the audience to feel like they’re with us on an adventure in deep space, so we’re going to use the highest resolution, the highest frame-rate, the biggest screens, the greatest brightness, the best color saturation — everything we can possibly do to make this experience indistinguishable from reality. I’m even wanting to make a theater that’s more like a holodeck than a theater. It’s going to have this profoundly experiential element to it, where it’s going to be okay for the actors to look at the camera and recognize the presence of the audience in the scene. It it’s successful, the audience will actually be in the movie — not looking at the movie. And so I feel like an explorer looking into the future of experiential cinema, and I’ve got to take it as far as I can take it.

This guy's great. I want to see that. :(

Great news! :)

Although I would prefer that the translator had left Tolkien's poetry in the rhyme form that it is originally. A person who is doing a translation should not add things such as classic meters to the material when there is no evidence of it in the original text. That is just forcing ideas outside the author's intention into the translation. Latin could easily rhyme but I guess such things are beneath this high and mighty translator Mark Walker.

It is the same as translating Lord of the Rings in Finnish and using only the trochaic tetrameter (the meter of Finnish national epic Kalevala) to translate all the poetry.

It would be better yet with French accent:

"Now I shall deal you and your country some poetic justice monsieur Bond. Prepare the Trochaic Tetrameter! Ho ho ho ho ho hooo!"

Great news! :)

Although I would prefer that the translator had left Tolkien's poetry in the rhyme form that it is originally. A person who is doing a translation should not add things such as classic meters to the material when there is no evidence of it in the original text. That is just forcing ideas outside the author's intention into the translation. Latin could easily rhyme but I guess such things are beneath this high and mighty translator Mark Walker.

It is the same as translating Lord of the Rings in Finnish and using only the trochaic tetrameter (the meter of Finnish national epic Kalevala) to translate all the poetry.

Ah, translating poetry is tricky on several levels. I prefer not to move things from a verse to another (unless the word order of the new language doesn't allow for it) and not to force rhymes. But I tend to deem poetry as basically untranslatable. And yes it's true that Latin can rhyme easily, and wouldn't need to change the meter.

I have officially started my "get ready for the hobbit" phase, I am starting by playing the Hobbit Game.

Do you mean the classic 1982 text adventure? (http://en.wikipedia....982_video_game)

I loved that game soooo much, makes me feel all warm inside just to think about it. :) These days you can actually play it online here! [http://www.twinbee.o...php?snap=hobbit] (requires Java installed).

Of course you might mean the game from 2003 which I never played. :pfft:

the trochaic tetrameter

Sounds like a weapon of mass destruction.

"Mister Bond, I am going to destroy your precious England with my Trochaic Tetrameter! Mu Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!" (Read this with a strong Russian accent for better effect)

It would be much more interesting as read with a Scottish accent. ;)

Karol

Of course you might mean the game from 2003 which I never played. :pfft:

I meant the 2003 vivendi version with the "orchestral" score

Watching FOTR now..

All CGI!

Well that's better than Evans killing extras and fellow actors with real ones. Cheaper than a few homicide law suits.

• 3 weeks later...

haha, kiran is badass. and GOD I miss 9-square.

I really enjoyed this one. one of the best yet.

Yeah that was a very enjoyable video, this time a lot familiar faces among the not so familiar ones. :)

And Kiran is truly a badass!

And we have the date for the premiere!

New Zealand to host 'Hobbit' preem

'Unexpected Journey' to bow in Wellington on Nov. 28

By Dave McNary

Wellington, New Zealand will host the world premiere of "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" on Nov. 28 is held at The Embassy theatre.

Jackson made the announcement Wednesday -- six months before the first pic hits theaters on Dec. 14.

"We cannot think of a more perfect way to send 'The Hobbit' off into the world than to celebrate with a huge party here in Wellington, where the journey began," he said.

The J.R.R. Tolkien novel is set 60 years before "Lord of the Rings," with Bilbo the unassuming Hobbit who becomes a hero by obtaining a powerful ring in the face of challenges by the wicked Gollum and Smaug.

The screenplays are penned by Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, Guillermo del Toro and Peter Jackson. Jackson is also producing the films, together with Fran Walsh and Carolynne Cunningham; exec producers are Alan Horn, Ken Kamins, Toby Emmerich and Zane Weiner, Boyens serving as co-producer.

The second film, "The Hobbit: There and Back Again," is slated for release on Dec. 13, 2013.

Won't let me read the article without registering for an account. What did it say?

Great, so spoiler-phobes will have to avoid all Hobbit discussion for 2 weeks leading up to the release date! :)

The new video is posted on this page just a few posts above yours Jason.