Anakin's Theme in ROTS

Josh500

According to Wikipedia Star Wars Music, there's a "single, tortured rendition" of it in Episode III. I haven't been able to find it yet. Does anyone know when it's heard?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The scene, yes. But the music is pretty well written. A shame Mr. Wannenberg cut it out of the OST, really. But it rips pretty cleanly from the DVD.

And in other news, it majorly pisses me off that Anakin's theme never got used except the once. ROTFLMAO

I think there is. It's just different from TPM. It plays right after Anakin wakes up from having the Nightmare about Padme and Padme following him to the other room and talking. There's also another one where he promises Padme that he'll not let her die and so forth.

One of my regrets about the prequels is that there wasn't more thematic continuity between them. I remember reading that WIlliams considered writing a new main theme, and I'm glad he didn't, but I think that using Anakin's Theme the way Luke's theme (the force theme) was used in the movies themselves would have been a good idea.

Imagine hearing ANakin's theme in a military march as he becomes more tortured, losing the innocence of the first one.

Episode I: Predominantly Anakin's Theme, a few mentions of the Force theme.

Episode II: Anakin's THeme prevalent, maybe mixed in with the Love Theme (as in the end of the album end credits), or when Anakin is alone, Force theme a little more apparent.

Episode III: Anakin's Theme early in the movie, but as it goes on IMperial March and Force theme become more prevalent (much like they did in the score).

I know it's no use crying over spilled milk, but it's the little things like this that could have endeared more people to the movies and characters. If you become familiar with music associated with each character, it does have an effect on how comfortable you get with them.

well... I think worth noting is how Anakins theme is Vaders theme backwards...

Wouldn't it be interesting to have some sort of intermediate theme... as the notes flip... and the theme changes from one... into another...

That twisted EPisode II theme could have been just that...Anakin's theme slowly inverting into Vaders theme...

Anyone know if Shmi's Theme is in ROTS at all? One part sounds real close, but I think I read an analysis that stated it wasn't it.

At about 2:12 on Palpatine's Teachings.

darn you... making me pull out the OST again lol

I used the Force.

I mean, JW uses Shmi's theme in Minority Report lol...

Really? Guess I'll have to listen to MR now. Haven't heard it yet.

Make me pull that ost out too lol.

Track 14 "Sean" by Agatha... it's right at the beginning... the first 40 seconds of that track

My point in saying that is that perhaps Shmi's theme is one of those things that John Williams just uses... and even if you hear something similar to it in ROTS, it may not be DIRECTLY related.

Make me pull that ost out too lol.

The Force has a strong influence on the weak minded.

Yeah, I get that. I was listening to some of Hook a while back and noticed a bit of Across the Stars, but it was slower. That actually would be a bit of Hook in Across the Stars, but I'm more familiar with Star Wars.

I find it fascinating to pick out that kind of stuff.

You know, I heard the Hook connection when I first heard AOTC, but then, after I actually got the complete Hook score and listened to it a lot and got familiar with it, I just can't hear the connection anymore. I used to think it directly ripped off something from Hook, but now I can't find it, so I appreciate the Love Theme that much more now.

You know, I heard the Hook connection when I first heard AOTC, but then, after I actually got the complete Hook score and listened to it a lot and got familiar with it, I just can't hear the connection anymore.  I used to think it directly ripped off something from Hook, but now I can't find it, so I appreciate the Love Theme that much more now.

There is a slight similarity between Hook and Across The Stars in the first few notes, but nothing that makes me think he ripped it from Hook.

People have discussed the Hook/AOTC similarity alot over the years, but no one (I think) has really been able to confirm it.

Yes, that's definately the first few notes of Shmi's theme.

i don't think there is a well defined Shmi's theme.Williams put that lonely trumpet in a few cues but each time the melody is different but similar.

K.M.

You know, I heard the Hook connection when I first heard AOTC, but then, after I actually got the complete Hook score and listened to it a lot and got familiar with it, I just can't hear the connection anymore.  I used to think it directly ripped off something from Hook, but now I can't find it, so I appreciate the Love Theme that much more now.

There is a slight similarity between Hook and Across The Stars in the first few notes, but nothing that makes me think he ripped it from Hook.

Yeah, it's the little triplet that is shared by Across the Stars and the...what is that theme? It's the one from "Prologue" that isn't the Pan/Flying theme. But yeah, I think it's a triplet plus a quarter note or something like that, and the notes that fall in that are either close to if not identical to each other. That's what people are hearing, but beyond that I don't think there's anything.

Yes, that's definately the first few notes of Shmi's theme.

i don't think there is a well defined Shmi's theme.Williams put that lonely trumpet in a few cues but each time the melody is different but similar.

K.M.

That's true for other prequel themes, but Shmi's theme is actually very well defined once the later version is introduced in Anakin is Free. The first four notes are what are played in RotS, and they sound too much like the theme to me to be coincidental.

Do you mean that Shmi has no well-defined theme, or that it is never well defined in RotS? Because she definitely has a theme - you can hear it TPM when she says goodbye to Anakin, in AOTC when Anakin talks to Obi-Wan about his dreams on Padme's balcony, and again in AotC when Anakin reunites with his mom in the Tusken Raider camp. Personally, I think JW IS referencing Shmi's theme in the aforementioned scene with Palpatine.

Yeah, it's the little triplet that is shared by Across the Stars and the...what is that theme? It's the one from "Prologue" that isn't the Pan/Flying theme. But yeah, I think it's a triplet plus a quarter note or something like that, and the notes that fall in that are either close to if not identical to each other. That's what people are hearing, but beyond that I don't think there's anything.

That theme is appropriately called the Prologue theme. And yes, I do think that there is a similarity between the two.

I'm not sure what the Prologue theme is, but the part that made me go "Hey, that sounds like Across the Stars!" is about 2:05 - 2:21 of the track Granny Wendy.

I listened to AtS again and couldn't find the part in the concert version that really reminds of that part of Hook. But on GoodMusician's Sith edit (Thanks again for that great set!) on the track A Moody Trip from about 0:07-0:17 is the part that really sounds similar to me.

So yeah.

The prologue theme is, in my opinion, a theme that represents the conflict between Pan and Hook. Pan's theme is the flying theme. Which also appears in the Prologue. Confused yet?

On the ROTS OST, listen to Track 2, 2:15-2:25. In my opinion, this may be an oblique reference to Anakin's Theme. The sequence to listen for is C#-B-G#-A. I say oblique because it's not perfectly identical (also, Anakin's Theme is, by nature, rather mutable) -- but the notes are close, the shape is right, and that "A" pops up frequently at the end of phrases in the concert version of Anakin's Theme. Coming so soon after the direct quote of Anakin's Theme in the film, it makes me suspect the evocation is intentional.

That's quite a stretch, John...I dunno...the melodic shape is somewhat similar to certain sections of Anakin's theme, I suppose, but I'm going to put my money on the fact that no composer, no matter how great, is always going to be 100% original. Certain melodic fragments will of course re-occur in Maestro Williams' work, and I don't think this one was an intentional reference to Anakin's theme.

The prologue theme is, in my opinion, a theme that represents the conflict between Pan and Hook. Pan's theme is the flying theme. Which also appears in the Prologue. Confused yet?

You are correct about the Prologue theme. However, the flying theme is not necessaraly Pan's theme. I think that the theme heard in "The Face of Pan" or "You Are the Pan' would constitute as Pan's theme.