Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

Airport coming this summer, it's every bit as important as the Raider's blu.

Quint, you should watch the DC of Alien on the Alien Anthology, it's quite wonderful. The set is wonderful. The last two films are not good. 3 is just awful, but it's worth a viewing to see how not to follow a great film, but 4 is such a guilty pleasure of wonderful schlock. No set has taken the best advantages of blu the way this set does.

Quint, you should watch the DC of Alien on the Alien Anthology, it's quite wonderful. The set is wonderful. The last two films are not good. 3 is just awful, but it's worth a viewing to see how not to follow a great film, but 4 is such a guilty pleasure of wonderful schlock. No set has taken the best advantages of blu the way this set does.

Thank you very much Mr Joey. We'll take it under advisement.

Ridley Scott says the theatrical cut is the true DC. I never bothered to watch the so-called DC (which was 'commissioned' by Fox for commercial reasons, if I recall and understand correctly). It's a slightly tighter cut and includes the Dallas cocoon scene (which I don't care for).

I think the theatrical is better overall. It just didn't need changing. There are still some moments in The Director's Cut I like, like Lambert slapping Ripley and the shot of the Alien hanging above Brett. Although that maybe shouldn't have been in there.

Was a U.S. release for Cleopatra ever announced, or are the imports all that's known to be available right now?

I have it. Do you mean it's not available in the U.S.?

Was a U.S. release for Cleopatra ever announced, or are the imports all that's known to be available right now?

I have it. Do you mean it's not available in the U.S.?

The one you have is a European version. There hasn't been until now any US release of the Bluray.

Sometimes the move from the US to Germany works in my favor. I never bought Terminator 3 in the US because it had no lossless audio format. Now I discovered, by coincidence, that the German Version (region code free) has both a German and English audio track in TrueHD :-) Now the collection is complete... On the flip side, new releases are more and more region encoded. Thor, Immortals, Tintin... And I don't really want to buy American versions, because once my player dies (which it will probably do soon), I will have to buy a German player.

Heard really bad things about the Dutch (maybe for the whole of Europe as well) conversion of Immortals. American version is said to be much better.

Heard really bad things about the Dutch (maybe for the whole of Europe as well) conversion of Immortals. American version is said to be much better.

the movie looks so unbelievably bad who would want it on blu.

I haven't seen it... would have given it a chance, since it was only 12 Euros. I guess I shouldn't bother then ;-)

I haven't seen Immortals. I know it gets bad reviews but I'm only sharing what I know about it. Paleo sounded interested in buying the Blu-ray, so.

I didn't like the trailer of Immortals. It tries to be like 300 but fails. I could've told them that before they made the movie. It's like director X would say he's going to make Blade Runnner 2. Save yourself the trouble, you're not going to succeed. I don't believe even Scott himself can't do it. The same goes for Spielberg. Let's say that he decides to return to Jaws, well, he won't better the original.

• 2 weeks later...

added Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol, Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall, Halloween II (the original sequel to the original not the Rob Zombie films), and the Vow. I bought the Vow for my mom but since it was a combo pack she kept the DVD and I took the Blu.

Great news!!! (can't afford it though)

14 title Alfred Hitchcock Collection - December 28th (Germany)

http://www.blu-ray.c...-Blu-ray/45101/

(by the way, I just bought "The Poseidon Adventure" - along with Cleopatra, Pillow Talk, Desiree and Journey to the center of the Earth . Can't wait!!)

Firefly-The-Complete-Series-Front-Cover-31003.jpg

I have the DVD set, but I thought 37,99 Euro for the Blu-ray, why not? I'm planning to watch it again but this time with the kid.

Alex

I have the DVD set, but I thought 37,99 Euro for the Blu-ray, why not? I'm planning to watch it again but this time with the kid.

Alex

I paid £13.99 for it on Amazon a while ago.

Yes it sells in the US for $15 all the time.

It's £23.87 on amazon.co.uk right now

http://www.amazon.co...2&condition=new

ET's hand is at the wrong angle again, looks like Stevie is staying true to his word.

I'm not as excited about this as much as I ought to be, possibly because I've seen the movie a lot in the last twelve months. It's ALWAYS on tv here, and I'm a bit played out with it just now.

It's looking to be a sublime release, though.

I wonder what kind of new special features it will have, and wonder if it'll include some of the stuff that was in that bigger deluxe edition box set of E.T. on DVD back in the day. I still never got to see any of that stuff beyond what was on the 2 disc edition.

I'm not as excited about this as much as I ought to be, possibly because I've seen the movie a lot in the last twelve months. It's ALWAYS on tv here, and I'm a bit played out with it just now.

It's looking to be a sublime release, though.

What channel are they showing it on over and over?

Yeah, ITV is gutter shite. It's where Simon Cowell peddles his trade in 'talent' shows. And have you heard of Ant and Dec? They reside there too. And Coronation Street.

Wouldn't it have been cool if there had been a isolated score track with the composer's original score as it was written for the film for the E.T. Blu-ray? Similar to Alien and Aliens.

Wouldn't it have been cool if there had been a isolated score track with the composer's original score as it was written for the film for the E.T. Blu-ray? Similar to Alien and Aliens.

and as it was on the Laserdisc of E.T.

Yes, it would be great, though I doubt it..

I wonder what kind of new special features it will have, and wonder if it'll include some of the stuff that was in that bigger deluxe edition box set of E.T. on DVD back in the day. I still never got to see any of that stuff beyond what was on the 2 disc edition.

As they're doing for Jaws, I think they will port most (if not all) the extra features from previous DVD/LD editions into this new Blu-ray and maybe they'll add only a new short featurette about the restoration process. I don't think we'll see a brand-new "making of" documentary. Studios are (rightfully) putting all the money and efforts into the new transfers and restoration processes, so there's no need to pay for new content when you have already good documentaries at hand.

About E.T., one thing I'd really love to see is the whole backstage material filmed by John Toll. A good deal of it ended up in the documentaries produced by Bouzereau for the 1996 Laserdisc and the 20th Anniversary DVD, but it appears there's a lot more to be seen.

I'm hoping they show/mention the ride. Have they ever in any of the previous documentaries? I'm pretty sure they didn't in the 2 disc edition.

I miss the ride when it used to be at Universal Studios Hollywood. :( Many nostalgic memories. I still remember how odd it was that they totally refurbished it for the 20th Anniversary, and then in like a year or less it got torn down and turned into the Mummy Ride instead. All that refurbishing for nothing.

It's actually highly exciting and detailed. It's that detail and appreciation of the film that really elevates the ride for me. The recreation of the forest with NASA spacemen and the Speak & Spell radar is still one of the coolest things I'll ever experience in my life. Then you get on bikes and have government vehicles emerging from the woods threateningly. Awesome. I still get a thrill when I'm away from Universal Studios, driving in my truck at night and vehicles emerge from side streets to my left or right similarly to your pursuers in the ride.

Haha, I totally agree with you! I felt all the same way! And I loved how the environment even felt like night inside, including a bit of chill in temperature. It was a great ride to go on, and wait in, during the summer. It even had this unique smell that was hard to describe, but it made it that much more memorable. And then of course the music... which we all still want in it's entirety. ;)

If you have the deluxe ET box sex on dvd there is no reason to get rid of it. It features some amazing extras and is so beautifully packaged that it's one dvd I'll keep.