Dune (1984)  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Poll

• 5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1 star

It has grown on me the past while. Toto, the Vienna Symphony Orchestra, a sizable choir, and electronics, who would have thought? This is definitely one of the best incorporations of guitars and orchestra that I have ever heard, something that Trevor Rabin is still working on. The electronics are accenting the orchestra, not replacing the orchestra (like cough cough someone we know).

I know the score has aged (obviously), mostly because a rock band (with help) did it, but it doesn't seem that aged because the score is mostly orchestral. The electric guitars add to the score in power (no pun intended) more than they take away in agefulness.

The main theme doesn't change in variation at all, aka John Barry like, it's good so it can get away with it. The themes for the movie (kinda like a sci-fi Lawerence of Arabia), Paul (dark/disonant), Leto (noble), Fremen (mysterious), the dreaming motif (quite powerful), the love theme (err love like?), etc are quite simplistic and effective as you might expect from a rock band (with musical help from Marty Paich, who also taught James Newton Howard when JNH was in school). JNH reportedly co-wrote 'Trip To Arrakis'.

Although I mention the themes, the score spends most of its time under the surface. The action cues are decent enough (not great though), with action motifs developed as the cues progress. The end of 'Big Battle' is quite amazing with the electric guitar, choir, orchestra singing out the victory of the Fremen.

Granted, there are some unlistenable parts, but they are few fortunately. You can also hear some of the influences for the score like Shostokovich Symphony #11., The end credits, is quite originally Toto, with them doing what Toto does, soft rock and such.

• 5 years later...

I love this score. It captured the mood of the book better than the movie did (though I'd like if it were a bit more evocative of the desert and its endless horizons).

The very first minute or so of the score reminds a great deal of the first minute or so of Shostakovich's 11th Symphony

As Stefan says, it's absolutely unique. And I found it fascinating enough, at least the concepts presented, that I rushed to get the book, which instantly become probably my all time favorite novel

Lynch admitted he was the wrong choice for directing a big epic movie. Would have love to have seen the Jodorowsky and even the Ridley Scott version of Dune.

dune_zps360987ac.jpg

Dune-by-HR-Geiger-300x168_zpse4f1e96b.jp

Alex

It's funny how Jodorovsky, Scott and Lynch were all attached to this film at various points. The making of history is probably way more interesting than the film itself.

Karol

You know there's a documentary coming out about the Jorodowsky verion, don't you, Alex?

That could be fascinating. Everything I've read about the Jodorowsky adaptation suggests that it was completely insane.

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/jodorowskis-dune-would-have-been-more-insane-than-you-can-even-imagine

The Jodorowsky docu gets a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

A must-see for filmmakers, aficionados, dreamers, doers and 'warriors' of all ilk.

A sublime documentary that asks the renowned helmer, proud artist, and part-time madman to walk the audience through his vision for the greatest cinematic epic that never came to be.

You know there's a documentary coming out about the Jorodowsky verion, don't you, Alex?

That could be fascinating. Everything I've read about the Jodorowsky adaptation suggests that it was completely insane.

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/jodorowskis-dune-would-have-been-more-insane-than-you-can-even-imagine

Jodorovsky is a bit mad, you know. I've seen a couple of his films and they are disturbing, to say the least.

Karol

Alex, the RT apologist.

What do you mean? I haven't seen the docu so I wondered how it's been received. Checking RT is the fastest way for finding out.

MV5BMTU0MzcxMTAxMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODMy

Agreed. it attempted to put on-screen, things that had never been seen. It is a gorgeous film to look at, and a fantastic film to listen to: Alan Splet's detailed, and ambient soundtrack, is a thing to behold.

I would love to see a proper extended cut of "Dune". The cast, is, as you say, to die for. I agree with all the ciritcisims of the film...but I choose to ignore them...

Lynch admitted he was the wrong choice for directing a big epic movie. Would have love to have seen the Jodorowsky and even the Ridley Scott version of Dune.

dune_zps360987ac.jpg

Dune-by-HR-Geiger-300x168_zpse4f1e96b.jp

Alex

Would him directing "ROTJ" have been any better than the released version?

The Ridley Scott of 1979 - 1983? Oh yes!

Jodorowsky? No idea ... need to see the docu!

Agreed. it attempted to put on-screen, things that had never been seen. It is a gorgeous film to look at, and a fantastic film to listen to: Alan Splet's detailed, and ambient soundtrack, is a thing to behold.

I would love to see a proper extended cut of "Dune". The cast, is, as you say, to die for. I agree with all the ciritcisims of the film...but I choose to ignore them...

And the cast is so earnest, takes the whole thing so seriously, that you are taken along them in the journey. If only most of Hollywood'a big budget "failures" were as interesting as this one

Well, if you would asked me, Richard, ROTJ directed by David Lynch would've been pretty much the same. What makes Dune somewhat cool is the production design. Lynch wasn't going to change how Star Wars looked or what it was after. An episode of Columbo directed by Steven Spielberg is still very much Columbo.

Alex

Agreed, Alex. Richard Marquand once said that directing "ROTJ" with George Lucas, was a bit like directing "Hamlet" with Shakespeare looking over his shoulder. "ROTJ" was definitely Lucas' film, and I'm not sure if Marquand had the guts to stamp his own authority over it.

Agreed, Alex. Richard Marquand once said that directing "ROTJ" with George Lucas, was a bit like directing "Hamlet" with Shakespeare looking over his shoulder. "ROTJ" was definitely Lucas' film, and I'm not sure if Marquand had the guts to stamp his own authority over it.

The making of book that came out last year is very candid when it comes to cast and crew's honesty. Highly recommended!

Speaking of which, Lucas actually preferred Lynch over Marquand. Whom he didn't seem to like all that much.

Karol

• 4 years later...

Dune always bugged me as something I'd probably love but never had the time or willingness to try it. The book(s) would be too big a commitment at the time (I love reading but it's not the hobby I make the most time for, and I'm in a Tolkien fever now), and the movie's production was too complicated to look into it myself. I just realised that since I'm now part of this small and very specific Nerdvana, that I could just ask you guys: which cut of the 1984 film would you recommend for a total newcomer to seek out, including fanedits using the best bits from everything? I don't mind if it's 4 hours as long as it grabs my interest early on and even just barely manages to keep it. Or is it not worth it, should I just read the book sometime and wait for that possible new adaptation?

I purposefully haven't sought out the fanedits, but my recommendation would be to watch the theatrical cut and then splice in the introduction and "water of life" scene from the Alan Smithee version. Oh, and get rid of all the voiceovers

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Dune always bugged me as something I'd probably love but never had the time or willingness to try it. The book(s) would be too big a commitment at the time (I love reading but it's not the hobby I make the most time for, and I'm in a Tolkien fever now), and the movie's production was too complicated to look into it myself. I just realised that since I'm now part of this small and very specific Nerdvana, that I could just ask you guys: which cut of the 1984 film would you recommend for a total newcomer to seek out, including fanedits using the best bits from everything? I don't mind if it's 4 hours as long as it grabs my interest early on and even just barely manages to keep it. Or is it not worth it, should I just read the book sometime and wait for that possible new adaptation?

The theatrical cut, prepared by Lynch and Tony Gibbs, is the definitive version. 

Avoid the television (Alan Smithee) cut!

There's a fan-edit called DUNE REDUX which is getting good reviews, and has lots of cut scenes put back. I'd say its worth checking out. 

Sadly, because Gibbs is now dead, and Lynch would like to erase it from his memory, we'll never see a proper director's cut of DUNE.

• 3 years later...
On 2/14/2014 at 5:58 PM, crocodile said:

Lucas actually preferred Lynch over Marquand. Whom he didn't seem to like all that much.

Karol

Lucas was hamstrung. He needed to choose someone who was in the DGA. Spielberg wasn't, and I'm not sure about Lynch and Marquand. Lucas always said that he was impressed by EYE OF THE NEEDLE.

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen this thing.  The theatrical cut of course. Welp, that was certainly a movie! It feels like it's been put through a grinder. It becomes extremely boring as it advances. I like the prologue and the sand riding sequence though, with dope music in both.