What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

5 hours ago, Incanus said:

War of the Worlds by John Williams: I love the mix of Stravinskian rhythms, apocalyptic kinetic orchestral and choral bombast and delicate Americana string elegies in this one. The use of human voices harkens back to Close Encounters as the Maestro uses them both as a signifier of humanity and something utterly alien and frightening. While not very theme driven vehicle, the aforementioned rhythmic propulsion is the the carrying force of this score and the 60 minute album is a pretty succinct listening experience although I would have loved to hear Williams' synth Prologue and Epilogue sans Morgan Freeman's narration.  

I'm actually probably gonna pop this one in today, it's one of Williams' most metal scores. 

An absolutely shining example, recalling a conversation you and I had several weeks ago, of how one can create a cohesive and internally satisfying  work without having to rely on melodies applied to a lot of different scenarios. 

Nobody want this CD???? I have two.

I ask only the shipping fees.

Don't tell me I'm stuck with it!!! Com'on!

Media Condition: Near Mint (NM or M-)  
Sleeve Condition: Very Good (VG) 

It contains the work "Prelude and fugue" composed by John Williams.

IMG_2679.JPG

Well, this thread is now demonic until we post enough to get to the next page!

Currently listening to Cocoon: The Return anyhow.

Later, I intend to listen to one of my embarrassing all-time favorites, We're Back: A Dinosaur's Story. Because it's FUN.

3 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I'd go for it, but

#1 I've heard the album online, and was not entranced

#2 I don't own a CD player.

And, I'm not allowing myself to be in completist mode at this stage in my life.

1 minute ago, kaseykockroach said:

Later, I intend to listen to one of my embarrassing all-time favorites, We're Back: A Dinosaur's Story. Because it's FUN.

Don't be embarrassed.  It is a charming score. 

1 minute ago, Steve McQueen said:

I'd go for it, but

#1 I've heard the album online, and was not entranced

#2 I don't own a CD player.

And, I'm not allowing myself to be in completist mode at this stage in my life.

False JWfan!!!

BAN HIM.

😋

3 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Don't be embarrassed.  It is a charming score. 

I'm embarrassed in the aspect that I love James Horner, but I don't give two hoots about Titanic, Braveheart, Willow, most of the big ones I'm told I'm supposed to love. We're Back though? Invigoratingly delightful! 

Alas, no.  They are light brown, but kind of interesting pattern wise, I guess. 

And I wear glasses.  And I'm socially awkward.

So I wish I was like McQueen, but I'm not.

I like racing, though.

I love this score to death. It's practically an anti-depressant. If I know work's gonna be hell today, I make sure to put this one on, because it's just so infectiously joyful and bouncy and happy!

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Don't tell me I'm stuck with it!!! Com'on!

Media Condition: Near Mint (NM or M-)  
Sleeve Condition: Very Good (VG) 

It contains the work "Prelude and fugue" composed by John Williams.

IMG_2679.JPG

Great album! How much?

1 minute ago, Nick Parker said:

Great album! How much?

Just the Shipping fees, I want to get rid of it! I received two copies by error. Write me in private!

Listened to Catch Me if You Can for the first time in a long while (beyond Escapades). A beautiful score, a masterpiece in my mind. When I was younger I thought he relied too much on the Father theme, but now I listen in awe to the transcendental variations he wove. The voicings, the harmonies, the orchestrations...everything here is so transparent and impactful...it drills straight to your chest. 

My favorite track at the moment:

I love the Father theme, especially with it's similarity to Christmas Star/Accidental Tourist

10 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I'm actually probably gonna pop this one in today, it's one of Williams' most metal scores. 

An absolutely shining example, recalling a conversation you and I had several weeks ago, of how one can create a cohesive and internally satisfying  work without having to rely on melodies applied to a lot of different scenarios. 

Yep, IIRC the only reocurring music is Williams' typical Dies Irae-esque suspense motive

6 minutes ago, Falafel said:

Yep, IIRC the only reocurring music is Williams' typical Dies Irae-esque suspense motive

I always thought it was more of a theme for the family, although in the Epilogue it comes off as a meditation on the frailty of life,  and just how uncertain we are of our own mortality. Deeply haunting, wish it stayed in the film's credits. Interestingly, Williams intended it to be a bookend in the beginning and end.

There's also a short quasi-motif for the aliens, an Akira Ifukube homage, which is very clear while still being very in line with the tone of everything else. 

If there's one weakness to Williams in the 2000's,  it's the Dies Irae type stuff he used in practically everything. Seriously, it'd be like pointing out individual ants on an anthill.

Just now, Nick Parker said:

If there's one weakness to Williams in the 2000's,  it's the Dies Irae type stuff he used in practically everything. Seriously, it'd be like pointing out individual ants on an anthill.

In fairness, it started long before the 2000's.

1 minute ago, Falafel said:

Care to list an example?

Oh lord, I can think of at least five in literally two seconds. I'll post some when I'm at a computer, it's way too tine consuming to do from a phone. For now, let's say Williams became very fond of using a note, going up a second (either major or minor), then a semitone or so below the starting note. Usually this all outlines the first four notes of a scale...some complain that Williams' music, particularly for action scenes, became "samey" after the 2000's, and this gesture is one of--in my opinion--the biggest contributors to that.

Hmm, I personally found his use of Celesta for every mysterious happening in Crystal Skull and Tintin more annoying than anything like that.

23 minutes ago, Falafel said:

Hmm, I personally found his use of Celesta for every mysterious happening in Crystal Skull and Tintin more annoying than anything like that.

Crystal Skull, yeah, but Tintin is far more palatable to me.

Some examples:

On Catch Me if You Can:

The insistent little marimba motif

On the subject of War of the Worlds:

And the fanfare starting at 3:18ish

And of course, a lot of Across the Stars is built on this, too.

I can post more, but I'd take the site's entire bandwidth. I guess The Lost World is when you really start to hear this take effect (listen to cues like Rescuing Sarah).

Catch Me If You Can by John Williams

Snow Falling on Cedars by James Newton Howard

Themes and Transcriptions for Piano by John Williams

5 hours ago, publicist said:

'Iris' for me.

Well that too. Although I like to call it "a disguised ode to danger motif". ;) 

p_88985_44259_1.jpg

John Williams/Steven Spielberg: The Ultimate Collection Highlights (the 2-LP program, but using my files from the CDs)

and

John Williams - The Adventures of Tintin (track 13 removed from the playlist!)

50 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Two of those are great! The other one's boring, but I forgive you.

Which one? Your answer will determine what body part I will render unusable with the poison agent I coated that BDH poster you bought off me with.

5 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Which one? Your answer will determine what body part I will render unusable with the poison agent I coated that BDH poster you bought off me with.

The only great cue in Close Encounters is The Dialogue.

11 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

How's it feel being on the 666th page?

That's a good question to ask Sev, 'cause he's gonna feel like he's in Hell after his comment on Close Encounters. 

Seriously!