What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

The thought of listening to only one artist is, to me at least. I honestly don't know how you stand it.

Shut up, Koray, you say you don't listen to a given album more than 3 or 4 times before you're done with it. You've got problems.

:P

My listening habits are different from all of the above - the majority of what I listen to is Williams, but I spend a relatively small amount of time just listening to music (with or without doing other activities simultaneously). I spend a lot of my free time working on music-related projects (editing music, engraving stuff in Finale, playing stuff on piano), so I hear a lot of musical sounds that way, but not like just listening to songs in iTunes or on CD.

I don't get to listen to music at my job. I only listen to film scores when I get some spare time and relax in my room. In my car it's either the radio or some select CDs from my collection (non-film score). Same with my iPod, only listen to classic rock and other genres of the like.

Well, I listen to lots of other composers, but not a day goes by where I don't listen to several hours of Williams.

Several hours for just Williams?! I never have that much time just for music in the first place.

Haha. Life at work is lonely when you draft pleadings and discovery all day. Civil litigation leaves plenty of time for the iPod.

My work is never boring. Just today I saved the universe, prevented future murders, attended Hogwarts, planted the charges, turned to the dark side, competed in the Olympic games, hunted a great white, simultaneously seduced a trio of women and took a solo vacation to NYC. Musically, that is.

I began the day in horror as Japan was ravaged by various monsters before going to the Pacific Northwest where I was pursued by a bully sheriff and the national guard. Then I battled the black plague and fell in love with a young kidnapped wench before helping secure a soviet sub. Then I started on a quest to find an alien artifact but found it dull and tedious so I quickly moved on to fix the plumbing while it rained outside, before wrapping up the day by hunting for Apatosaurus in the Congo.

Musically speaking of course.

I began the day in horror as Japan was ravaged by various monsters before going to the Pacific Northwest where I was pursued by a bully sheriff and the national guard. Then I battled the black plague and fell in love with a young kidnapped wench before helping secure a soviet sub. Then I started on a quest to find an alien artifact but found it dull and tedious so I quickly moved on to fix the plumbing while it rained outside, before wrapping up the day by hunting for Apatosaurus in the Congo.

Musically speaking of course.

You couldn't have fixed the pluming: it wasn't Wednesday afternoon. :cool:

Today,I took a journey through a stargate, saw myself getting old, and was reborn, as a child. I then came back to Earth, blew up The White House, and made up for it by building a barn. Then, I accompanied Duke on his travels, while he gave me shelter. To top it all off, I built a wall, tore it down, and stopped the anti-christ, while discovering who framed Roger Rabbit. As if that wasn't enough, I went to a dive bar with a couple of west end girls, where love came quickly...

Finally got around to listening to the (iTunes exclusive?) Movie Legends: The Music of John Williams on the drive to the in-laws for Thanksgiving. Some really nice surprises on an above-average comp. My favorite:

Jaws - I thought, ho-hum, another boring Jaws concert recording. Not so! A really great arrangement that heavily features the Orca theme. I've never heard this arrangement anywhere else.

Close Encounters - What a thrill! It is basically the JW Disco version arrangement, but played straight, not disco (if that makes sense).

Both of these delights put a smile on my face. The suites from Far and Away and Witches of Eastwick reminded me that I need to pick up the OSTs of these at some point.

Not bad... not bad at all.

Before hitting the sack, I listened to the full score for Fantastic 4: Rise Of The Silver Surfer earlier tonight while I was at my brothers house. It had been a while since I listened to it and I forgot how fun and enjoyable it is. Definitely a better listening experience than the first Fantastic 4 score.

Lee Holdridge's The Beastmaster. Hmm. I'm not disappointed per se, but I kind of wish there was a little more substance. It's very pretty and enjoyable, but not great, especially compared to some Holdridge I've heard.

Oh, and hoo boy, that theme really verges on the original Galactica.

Heh, I know what you mean on the Galactica part.

I wonder when we will get a legit complete release of this score. Haven't all the previous releases come from imports, composer promo and the old Varese LP?

I've been listening to Star Trek V in anticipation of today's release.

Also just marveling at Intrada's First Blood release. The sound is superb and hearing the album in film order is such a revelation. While I can appreciate a composer's choice to edit and re-sequence an album, hearing it in its intended order gives me a whole new perspective on the music.

Heh, I know what you mean on the Galactica part.

I wonder when we will get a legit complete release of this score. Haven't all the previous releases come from imports, composer promo and the old Varese LP?

Yeah, I think it's German or Spanish. Maybe Intrada will get round to it.

I need to get First Blood and Patton.... in 2011.

I listened to the Home Alone OST twice. I want to like it as much as Home Alone 2, but for me HA2 is just more fun and active and over the top. Richuk remarked that HA2 is like Temple of Doom as a sequel score, and I'd agree. Still, some nice writing in HA1, with the Star of Bethlehem and Preparing the Trap. Somewhere in My Memory often has the effect of choking me up a bit... It's really my achilles heel. I truly need the Lalaland expansion to round this out a little better.

I'd also like to comment on Leslie Bricusse. For what he's asked to do for Williams, he's a genius. His lyrics are so tangible and delicious. I love their collaborations.

Red Canvas By James Peterson

After one year I still can't believe this score was written for a 2009 movie. Even the more surprising is the genre. I'm almost curious to see the movie... and afraid to do that at the same time. The album is great the it contains very strong contender for the ballsiest and greatest action cue of the last decade. The suite at the end is nice too. I'm not quite sure if I hear a strong musical voice, but it is a damn good writing.

I still like it. The score serves almost as an James Horner Encyclopedia. What's amazing is that it is one of the few "kitchen sink" scores (i.e. it has literally everything in it, from choirs to synths and such) that works. Iron Man 2 would be the opposite example.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture by Jerry Goldsmith

The overture is my favourite Goldsmith piece ever. Its simplicity and sense of wonder are unmatched.

:P The Omen by Jerry Goldsmith

Karol

Star Trek: The Motion Picture by Jerry Goldsmith

The overture is my favourite Goldsmith piece ever. Its simplicity and sense of wonder are unmatched.

Karol

I went straight and listendd to this after you posted. It's great as usual, but I love the 20th anniversary disc. I hope we get the complete score at some point, but it's still a great album. I just hope when we do get the complete version, you don't get the usual folks saying "oh, well the original sucked anyway" like some did with Superman and Poltergeist.

I'm tempted to listen to it again, actually.

You can almost forgive the film for being so stiff. You know, all these looooooong shots (which I love btw). At least you can get a great flowing musical expierence from it. One iconic moment after the other. From the main theme, to Ilia's theme, the Klingon battle, V'ger cues. The ultimate space opera and s-f score. Well, there are few others too. :P

Karol

Lost the Last Season Last Episodes by Michael Giacchino

Lost Season 3 by Michael Giacchino

Sleepers by John Williams

Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith by John Williams

Lost in Space 40th Anniversary Edition by John Williams & al.

How to Steal a Million & Bachelor Flat by John Williams

The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing by John Williams

Fitzwilly & Long Goodbye by John Williams

El Cid by Miklós Rózsa

The complete sessions for Terminator Salvation. Definitely one of the more serious scores from Elfman in the last couple of years. There's A LOT more homage to Fiedel's original music from the first two Terminator films represented in the full score compared to what's on the OST.

For the film itself I actually didn't mind it all that much. All though I was more interested in Marcus Wright's story line.

Hook

I figured, hey, we're not getting it this year, so I decided to give it a listen. In its "complete" form, it really is a looong listen in one sitting, but delightful nevertheless. Still, as much music remaining to be released, you have to appreciate the OST as a fantastic presentation. I'd have to rank the Banquet/The Never-Feast in my top tier JW compositions ever. The alternate version of the Never-Feast sounds like it could be a Home Alone outtake. I haven't seen the film since its release... was the Never-Feast supposed to score a Christmas banquet? It sure sounds... Christmassy. (As does the new theme introduced in "Farewell Neverland").

Oh, and the "Exit Music" - simply beautiful. Was that theme associated with a particular character or idea? Like I said, it's been awhile since I saw it.

But, yeah, they should release the complete score.

Star Trek V - The Final Frontier

Regular release, as my Expanded version has only shipped about an hour ago :thumbup:

I thought I'd give the album a couple of spins for old time's sake.

It'll be given away to a friend once the LLL version arrives.

Black Swan by Clint Mansell

Probably the best score from this year's latter half (so far). Mansell continues to deliver exceptionally for Aronofsky; and "Night Of Terror" rivals the magnificent "Death Is The Road To Awe." The final third of the album is just amazing. Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with Swan Lake to discern how much of it is actually used, but there are parts that are undoubtedly Mansell.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with Swan Lake to discern how much of it is actually used, but there are parts that are undoubtedly Mansell.

Enough to apparently get it disqualified from Oscar contention.

Really want to hear this one.

Been listening to a few Elfmans today. Charlie, Corpse Bride and few others.

Now I'm listening to Saving Private Ryan. And you know what? I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit. Maybe it's the age and the ability to appreciate things that are not that obvious. Something I wasn't able to do when I first heard it. I like the concert feel of the recording. There is something very real and sincere about it.

Karol

Been listening to a few Elfmans today. Charlie, Corpse Bride and few others.

Now I'm listening to Saving Private Ryan. And you know what? I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit. Maybe it's the age and the ability to appreciate things that are not that obvious. Something I wasn't able to do when I first heard it. I like the concert feel of the recording. There is something very real and sincere about it.

Karol

I particularly like "Wade's Death".

Listened to the Academy Promo for Artificial Intelligence for about the 4,000th time. Sometimes I feel it doesn't get any better then this score. I don't even have words to describe the cello at the end of "David and the Supermecha"

Finally got around to listening to the (iTunes exclusive?) Movie Legends: The Music of John Williams on the drive to the in-laws for Thanksgiving. Some really nice surprises on an above-average comp. My favorite:

Nope, it's one the RPO website and I've been eying it for some time. How is the Temple of Doom track and the Harry Potter stuff?

The Harry Potter stuff is solid, but the Temple of Doom is quite good. It begins with the Indy/Short Round counterpoint from the end credits that Concorde saw fit to omit.

I keep coming back to the CE3K track again, though.

Listened to the Academy Promo for Artificial Intelligence for about the 4,000th time. Sometimes I feel it doesn't get any better then this score. I don't even have words to describe the cello at the end of "David and the Supermecha"

Yessssss! I love it! Top 5 Williams, easily.

La-La Land's complete release for Star Trek V from my own CD. Holy cow the proper mix and remaster job that La-La Land gave this score is phenomenal. It completely blows the old Epic OST away big time. I heard a lot more instruments with this mix that I never heard before with the old Epic version.

It's so nice to finally hear this score in all its glory. I've waited nearly 20 years for this day to come. Now that my three favorite Star Trek scores (II, III and V) have been given a legit complete release I'm pretty damn happy.