The Bruce Broughton thread

Matt C

I find Young Sherlock Holmes overrated. I never listen to it and I dig on those 80s fantasy scores.

It's a bit much, but the last 20 minutes or so alone are easily worth the price of the album.

i honestly don't see how anyone could consider themselves a serious collector of great film scores and not own a copy of Silverado. (My own early-influence bias speaking there, of course.)

I'm mostly unfamiliar with his music. Seem like my kind of thing?

I think so. Again, it's his bold orchestrations that make him stand out. Horner, for instance, can create beautiful music, but sometimes it seems very drab and washed-out at times. Broughton brings a color to his music that I really love.

YSH seems like one of those scores to me where the OST is too short, the 2CD sets are too long, and I have no idea what the highlights are since all the cues are so short and I've never seen the movie.

One of my favorite sequences in the score is when Holmes is challenged by his peer to solve an arranged mystery. The music leading up to the revelation and victory is a lovely, flowing rendition of the primary themes.

I think so. Again, it's his bold orchestrations that make him stand out. Horner, for instance, can create beautiful music, but sometimes it seems very drab and washed-out at times. Broughton brings a color to his music that I really love.

Funny, since colour is Horner's primary focus when composing.

Yeah. It's a weak comparison, probably--in part because it makes it sound like I don't appreciate Horner's music, which isn't the case at all. I was trying to think of a good contrast, and that's the first thing that popped into my head.

One of my favorite sequences in the score is when Holmes is challenged by his peer to solve an arranged mystery. The music leading up to the revelation and victory is a lovely, flowing rendition of the primary themes.

Yes! That's the highlight of the score. It's just filled with charm.

You're right, he can make an orchestra sound like a million bucks.

He's kinda old. Maybe he just doesn't feel like composing much these days.

He's more active in the concert hall, where he's still churning out interesting stuff.

Forgot about The Blue and the Gray. He does as much, and as well, with the fiddle and harmonica as any other composer working a historic piece from the period.

Y'got me, Steef!

Okay, how about switching Horner to . . . Desplat?

?

So maybe you tell us which Desplat scores that applies to, preferably in relation to a score by Broughton.

Funny, since colour is Horner's primary focus when composing.

Even if it's often just one, repeated ad nauseam.

Kinda sad that the last time Broughton was on the news was that Oscar fiasco... seems he never recovered from that one.

Recovered? His career died over a decade ago.

Yeah but with that nomination it probably could've re-ignite his film score career. But then again he shies away from mainstream projects...

• 2 years later...

His adaptation of Soarin' is terrible, but then so is the redo of the ride. What a mess. As soon as he starts to put his own spin on it, it becomes a complete and total disaster. What a bad idea to interpolate culturally appropriate (I guess?) bits in there. But then, even if you subtract that unlistenable mess, it's obvious Broughton has no idea what to do with Jerry's original music, but insists on trying anyway.

Who is this E.T. and Elliot? I agree with him.

• 1 month later...

I'm resurrecting this thread just to say that I'm revisiting Broughton's work on "The Rescuers: Down Under", which was one of the movies I'd play on repeat as a kid, and good lord is this a solid soundtrack. Broughton really wrote quite a versatile main theme that has so many beautifully constructed motifs in it that it boggles my mind. It's one of those themes that just sticks with you, as the orchestration somehow feels so fresh and alive while obviously being derivative in the right ways. The inspirations are obvious, but it doesn't matter, the themes are commanded masterfully here alongside a brilliant movie that is actually quite a good one. The little moments where he revists the R-E-S-C-U-E theme is very much welcome, as well as the the fun little leitmotifs that dot the rest of the film. Bravo, Broughton. I'm really looking forward to what he produces for the Ron Howard Han Solo movie. 

2 hours ago, YoYoMama said:

I'm really looking forward to what he produces for the Ron Howard Han Solo movie. 

Did I miss something? Thought that was going to be John Powell.

1 hour ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Did I miss something? Thought that was going to be John Powell.

Yes, I think Yo-Yo Mama was a little confused there. But I certainly agree in regards to RESCUERS DOWN UNDER. The film is a nostalgic favourite of mine, and the score is brilliant -- one of Broughton's very best.

21 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yes, I think Yo-Yo Mama was a little confused there. But I certainly agree in regards to RESCUERS DOWN UNDER. The film is a nostalgic favourite of mine, and the score is brilliant -- one of Broughton's very best.

Likewise! Good film, good music for sure.

Have had the theme in my head again ever since reading YoYoMama's post. :D

I'm pretty sure Bruce Broughton was never even once attached to Han Solo.  Powell was the only composer announced.

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27580-john-powells-solo-a-star-wars-story-2018/

Bruce Broughton is scoring The Orville episodes, though!

*edit*

Sorry for the confusion, I'll just be over here wiping the egg from my face.

19 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Likewise! Good film, good music for sure.

Have had the theme in my head again ever since reading YoYoMama's post. :D

It's quite a killer theme. It's one of those themes that could be looked at from an academic standpoint for how strong each of it's moving parts are. "Themes within themes" comes to mind, which is exactly how the best are written (in this context of course, one note themes notwithstanding) 

• 1 year later...

The Rochester Philharmonic (in upstate New York) is having a concert tonight and I saw this listed on the program:

ALAN MENKEN, arr. Broughton The Little Mermaid Medley

https://rpo.org/event/around-the-town-3/

Is anyone aware of an orchestral Little Mermaid suite arranged by Bruce Broughton?  The medley that's on the Disneyland Legacy Collection release (from the Ariel's Undersea Adventure attraction) was not Broughton according to Wiki at least.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

How do you know it was arranged by Bruce Broughton, and not Bill Broughton?

Is that an actual person or just a general “could be a different Broughton” example?  If the latter, you’re right I’m just assuming it’s Bruce given his longtime association with random Disney stuff.

• 1 year later...