Hlao-roo

1 minute ago, Brundlefly said:

Villeneuve's movies are all either almost masterpieces or masterpieces. That is enough as a proof of quality. But there is more: Three awesome actors (I don't give a fuck whether they have mostly made bad or good movies, since they're working with Villeneuve this time),  a running time that indicates much passion (yes, I consider long running time as tending to indicate a passionated movie) and we have a rating which indicates that this movie has not forcedly been adapted to a main stream audience and younger viewers.

BB hates Arrival.  Because he is made of stone.

16 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Villeneuve's movies are all either almost masterpieces or masterpieces. That is enough as a proof of quality. 

I'm JWFan's resident Villeneuve fanboy, and even I point out that "masterpiece" is a strong word. Granted I don't throw that word around lightly anyway.

He's quite talented and probably the most promising rising directors in mainstream cinema. Though the Nolan-ification of his career does leave me a bit concerned. His best work remains Prisoners, though most of his follow-up films have been great.

On 9/26/2017 at 7:04 PM, filmmusic said:

I read somewhere that they carefully choose fanboy-oriented audiences for these first screenings so these first reviews don't really say anything.

It's like picking a jwfan to review a new John Williams cd.

What will he say? that it's bad? Of course not!

I've pretty much done that with all of the new Williams scores on CD with the exception of TFA for the past decade.

"It's too boring and long. Like Blade Runner." - ET&Elliot4Ever on every John Williams OST released in the last decade with the exception of Star Wars

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I thought this one was kinda funny.  "No Country for Old Replicants."  Heh.

Sure, but my eye fell on "For once, believe the hype".

:o

I mean, he seems to be aware of the typical positive early reactions phenomenon but this time it's warranted?!

:o

19 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

Roger Deakins rarely disappoints! Go for the cinematography!

Yes, I know I won't be disappointed by him.  I mean, the visuals are 75% of why I'm going to see this movie.  Which makes sense, since the visuals are 75% of why I enjoy the original.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Yes, I know I won't be disappointed by him.  I mean, the visuals are 75% of why I'm going to see this movie.  Which makes sense, since the visuals are 75% of why I enjoy the original.

Aww.:( If only his eyesight hadn't failed him on ALIEN3. Sure, Thompson did a bang-up job, but still...

Deakins is great, but visuals can only get you so far. If it's all vistas, neon lights, shadows across a wall, whatever, then it's lulling you into forgetting there's no plot.

You come out of the theatre with nothing more than a vague feeling you liked the visuals and nothing more.

30 minutes ago, Romão said:

I really hope Deakins shoots Dune. That project could be a true cinematography showcase

Unlike Blade Runner 2049, right?

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

Deakins is great, but visuals can only get you so far. If it's all vistas, neon lights, shadows across a wall, whatever, then it's lulling you into forgetting there's no plot.

You come out of the theatre with nothing more than a vague feeling you liked the visuals and nothing more.

It all depends on what the movie aims for and what you make of it. Blade Runner was always more about atmosphere, tone, mood and themes. The story itself was simple but with complex moral underpinnings.

1 minute ago, Alexcremers said:

Unlike Blade Runner 2049, right?

Of course not, did I ever imply something of the sort? But Dune is likely to be shot in vast natural landscapes. I would love to see his take on an desert, dune-sea vista

4 minutes ago, Romão said:

Of course not, did I ever imply something of the sort? But Dune is likely to be shot in vast natural landscapes.

In today's film industry? More like "likely to be shot in vast greenscreen studio sets".

16 minutes ago, Romão said:

Of course not, did I ever imply something of the sort? 

Yes!

"I hope Deakins shoots Dune because THAT movie could be a TRUE visual showcase."

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Blade Runner was always more about atmosphere, tone, mood and themes. The story itself was simple but with complex moral underpinnings.

The fact that the story was partly too neglected is the only reason why I don't consider that film a masterpiece.

Blade Runner 2049 has still the chance to top the original.

So things are looking up for this, it's getting very good early buzz.

On the other hand, the critics slobbered over Arrival as well, which I found to be highly overrated.  So we'll see.

I ask Villeneuve what caused Jóhannsson to leave the project.

“The thing I will say is that making movies is a laboratory. It’s an artistic process. You cannot plan things. Jóhann Jóhannsson is one of my favorite composers alive today. He’s a very strong artist. “But the movie needed something different, and I needed to go back to something closer to Vangelis. Johan and I decided that I will need to go in another direction—that’s what I will say. I hope I have the chance to work with him again because I think he’s really a fantastic composer.”

10 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Arrival is like Clockwork Orange: Either loved or hated, but the ones who hated it completely missed the point of the movie.

Nonsense. This is a pretty smug thing to say, don't you think? It's the arrogance of "if you don't agree with me, you don't understand what you saw/heard."

Here's an alternative theory...perhaps the people who loved it have such a law bar for cerebral sci-fi because they've been force fed a diet of bubble gum cinema rubbish for too long. Or perhaps someone simply told them is was cerebral and important so it made them feel smarter to agree.

I got the point of Arrival just fine, and I didn't hate it. I just think it didn't achieved what it set out to as well as it could have.  It could have been better.

4 minutes ago, Lewya said:

I ask Villeneuve what caused Jóhannsson to leave the project.

“The thing I will say is that making movies is a laboratory. It’s an artistic process. You cannot plan things. Jóhann Jóhannsson is one of my favorite composers alive today. He’s a very strong artist. “But the movie needed something different, and I needed to go back to something closer to Vangelis. Johan and I decided that I will need to go in another direction—that’s what I will say. I hope I have the chance to work with him again because I think he’s really a fantastic composer.”

Booo!

6 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Nonsense. This is a pretty smug thing to say, don't you think? It's the arrogance of "if you don't agree with me, you don't understand what you saw/heard."

Here's an alternative theory...perhaps the people who loved it have such a law bar for cerebral sci-fi because they've been force fed a diet of bubble gum cinema rubbish for too long. Or perhaps someone simply told them is was cerebral and important so it made them feel smarter to agree.

I got the point of Arrival just fine, and I didn't hate it. I just think it didn't achieved what it set out to as well as it could have.  It could have been better.

5 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

lol OK.

Yes!  Let's answer smug with smug!  It is the only way!

An eye for an eye, a sniff for a sniff.

2 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

It could have been better.

It could have been better, if the process of developing a way to communicate had been longer. The sudden cut off of that part was confusing.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

When are we making that baby, anyway?

Tomorrow, maybe. I'm not in the mood today!

Just now, Jay said:

There's been an awful lot of mocking others for their personal opinions on this board lately.

"Lately"?