Adventures On Earth

Which version of Adventures On Earth a.k.a Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye do you prefer?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of Adventures On Earth a.k.a Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye do you prefer?

• The 1982 OST version
    • The 1996/2002 version

Yes, basically the same track. But the version released in 1996 and 2002 was (apparently) the version John Williams originally recorded.

The 1982 OST version has an alternate part at around the 11th minute highlighting the surging string "farewell" motif, while in the 1996/2002 version the strings make way for a whist full flute statement of E.T.'s Theme.

The 1982 rendition is the one used in the film, the 1996/2002 version is what Williams originally wrote.

Which do you like more?

Well he wrote the insert as well :P

Just because he didn't originally conceive of the cue as having those extra heart-tugging strings, doesn't mean when asked to amp it up, he didn't end up liking the revision more than his original idea.

Which version does Williams use when performing the piece in concerts?

Yea, maybe WIlliams doesn't like the insert then. Perhaps he asked Bouzereau not to include it on the 1996/2002 releases.

Are we voting on just the Insert vs original passage, or the entire 15 minute piece? Because there are many subtle differences between the OST and 1996/2002 versions beyond the inclusion (or not) of the insert

Well to clarify my response, I prefer the entire cue on the OST.

Of course I have 4 damn versions of the score and tend to lose track of what is on what album.

On 4/29/2011 at 1:36 PM, Jason LeBlanc said:

Are we voting on just the Insert vs original passage, or the entire 15 minute piece? Because there are many subtle differences between the OST and 1996/2002 versions beyond the inclusion (or not) of the insert

You should make a list ;)

The intention of the poll is the entire 15 minute piece.

No I mean I prefer not having the sustained triangle hit, not having the extra horn blast, the smooth transition instead of that one bad edit, etc.

Never noticed any differences in sound quality between the various CD releases; I'm no audiophile

I'm embarrassed to say I don't own the OST, only the 20th Anniversary release. But I am certainly familiar with the insert that was used in the film, and it's a tough call as to which version of that passage I prefer. For a long time, I was used to hearing the unused original version, so I have a certain soft spot for it, and I still think it flows better into the passage that follows. But the insert is so lush and emotional that I can't help adoring it. So kind of a win-win. I'm leaning toward the insert.

No I mean I prefer not having the sustained triangle hit, not having the extra horn blast, the smooth transition instead of that one bad edit, etc.

Never noticed any differences in sound quality between the various CD releases; I'm no audiophile

Hmmm...I actually prefer both the sustained triangle hit and the extra horn blast. musically it makes more sense then the dropped silence.

I never really noticed that edit until you pointed it out.

I believe it. One of these days, I'm gonna get around to buying the OST and...ahem...a physical copy of the 20th Anniversary release. I bought the latter on iTunes when I was young and stupid. I mean, AAC compression at 256 kbps does sound very, very close to the uncompressed source, at least to my ear, but I'd still rather have the real thing.

The OST is indeed stellar. It's pretty much a concert suite based on E.T., not unlike the Gerhardt "Star Wars" albums, or the Potter recording session suites. The 1982 disc was also mastered by Steve Hoffman, for all the audiophiles out there.

(That said, I can't really vote in the poll. Believe it or not, I'm kind of the opposite of DM: I never had the 1996 or 2002 albums, only the OST!)

I have the 3 copies of the 1982 CD, 2 copies of the 1996 release the normal CD and the gold disc that came with the Laserdisc and 2 copies of the 2002 release (standard CD that came with the DVD gift set and the multichannel Hybrid SACD).

Well I had (have) the original 1982 LP, 1982 Cd, 1996 CD, 2002 CD and the Gold copy that came with the DVD. I also have the Laserdisc box set with the isolated score, which also has a Gold CD, I have no idea what I did with my copy though....:blink:

Or maybe I still have it.

The film version. The "surging strings farewell" moment is just too lushious and downright heart-wrenching to be omitted from my E.T. listening experience. Always been a favourite few seconds of mine.

The downbeat (less manipulative) 'alternative' of that moment is rubbish.

The film version. The "surging strings farewell" moment is just too lushious and downright heart-wrenching to be omitted from my E.T. listening experience. Always been a favourite few seconds of mine.

Yeah, you took the words out of my mouth

The downbeat (less manipulative) 'alternative' of that moment is rubbish.

It's not bad, but it just is not quite as good.

The OST version.

It somehow has a way of communicating the wonder of the amazing friendship and emotional adventure the two beings shared. It's beautiful.

I vote the OST version. I don't actually remember how the string passage goes, but I remember thinking it was pretty touching and bittersweet.

The OST is the only c.d. recording that exists with the swelling strings insert, but Williams also used it to play in synch with the film in 2002 and in the New York concert

All re-recorded concert versions have the other "original" section

Here's my question: which of the two is the one recorded on the day when Speilberg had Johnny conduct the piece without the movie playing? The one to which he actually re-edited the last section of the film to fit?

The '82 OST is indeed a remarkable album--one of the few that varies so far from the "real" music from the film and yet finds life and passion on its own merits. Mine hasn't worked in years; it's long past time I got hooked up with one of those Amazon copies, even if it's a used one.

None of this makes no sense.

I agree, all of it makes at least some sense!

ROTFLMAO

- Uni

Well, whatever version was recorded that day, it did not include the string passage heard in the film. That was a separately recorded insert. I haven't looked into the issue to know exactly which release uses the right takes, though.

Also, keep in mind that that whole sequence (without the insert) comprises four separate cues: "The Rescue Extension", "The Rescue", "The Bike Chase", and "The Departure." I suppose it's possible the first two were recorded together, but the last two were almost definitely recorded separately, so it wasn't like they sat down and did the entire fifteen-minute sequence in one continuous take and then used that in the film unedited.

I prefer the 1982 OST version. I vividly remember getting the 1996 version of the score and then watching the film and being very upset that the version on the album was not the one in the film. It is surprising how only a small insert can affect the emotional impact of the piece so much but it did for me.

Yes, the other version looses a GREAT amount of emotional heft as a result of the omission of that tiny little moment, such is its power in an already stirring piece.

It almost feels like an anti-climax.

I haven't listened to E.T for a quite while now. But I was so used to the 1982 version for so long, that in 2002 it took quite some time to get used to different things happening in parts of the whole listening experience of AOE that I knew off by heart for years. At first I really didn't like that feeling of a break in continuity, but I did get used to it and can now listen to both without an issue.

What I do know is that later releases can't beat the version of what is called Abandoned and Pursued on that original release.

What I do know is that later releases can't beat the version of what is called Abandoned and Pursued on that original release.

Didn't the ost version of that have the alternative percussion placement in the climax? Or do I have it the wrong way round? Either way, I prefer the film's placement of said percussion.

• 5 years later...

Hey I just happened across this thread and I am officially now the 1st person to vote for the 20th anniversary/96 version of the cue!

I've been listening to the concert arrangement of "Adventures on Earth" on repeat for literally an hour so that's truly my favorite (Spielberg/Williams Collaboration recording) but wasn't an option for the poll.  The 20th anniversary release was my first purchase of the ET soundtrack and I listened to it approximately 3 million times before I heard the OST once.  So yeah that's probably why.  Just what I'm used to.

(also this should definitely have been in the John Williams forum....)