Which of these Starwars Themes/Motifs would deserve a true Concert Version

SF1_freeze

Which of these Starwars Themes/Motifs would deserve a true Concert Arrangement  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which three of these Starwars Themes/Motifs would deserve a true Concert Arrangement

• The Force Theme
    • The Emperor's Theme
    • Cloud City March
    • Kamino Motif
    • Shmi's Theme
    • Seperatist Theme
    • General Grievous Theme
    • Trade Federation March
    • TESB Droid Motif
    • Qui-Gon's Theme
    • Imperial Motif
    • Funeral Theme
    • RotJ Droid Motif
    • Lament

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for three in a row:

Seperatists Theme - this is the Dies Irae one from AotC, right?

Trade Federation March - a great theme that isn't used a lot in the scores, so it deserves a concert arrangement

General Greivous theme - same as before-not used a lot

This doesn't mean I prefer these themes to the Force Theme, Lament, funeral theme, etc., but given the potential of the themes and the different ways they're used I think these three are the least developed

I voted for three in a row:

Seperatists Theme - this is the Dies Irae one from AotC, right?

Its the one when "Ben Creeps Around" and is tracked into when Count Dooku is commenting on how "The Jedi got an army so quickly"

The Force Theme, easily.

Then The Trade Federation Marc (seems RIGHT up Williams' alley to make a really fun 3-4 minute arrangement with a great b section)

Then either General Grievous' Theme or Qui-Gon's Theme

I've toyed with the idea of assembling my own "concert arrangement" by editing together various pieces from the film cues, but you'd probably need unique connecting material to make it really work.

I've toyed with the idea of assembling my own "concert arrangement" by editing together various pieces from the film cues, but you'd probably need unique connecting material to make it really work.

Yeah, usually it just comes out sounding like a extended film score cue instead of a Concert Suite.

The Force Theme, The Emperor's Theme, Qui-Gon's Theme and Shmi's Theme would lend themselves to a great concert suite.

I knew that, and I answered his question, because its in The Throne Room, which is basically a concert arrangment.

No it isn't. And the Rebel Fanfare is in many other cues as well

I chose the Trade Federation March. It could be made into a piece similar to the Imperial March with a cool middle section in betwween the strong statements of the March itself.

The Rebel fanfare also shows up in Here They Come, along with the Death Star motif for that matter. (And Leia's theme shows up in Throne Room, too).

The Force Theme, The Emperor's Theme, Qui-Gon's Theme and Shmi's Theme would lend themselves to a great concert suite.

I think the Force and Emperor themes deliberately have no concert movements. Fabulous as they are, I don't think they could carry a single lengthy piece as its main theme.

WHAT!?

The Emperor's Theme I agree with, it'd be hard to make a concert arrangement out of that.

But the Force Theme? Easily concert arrangement-ified.

I'd like to hear a concert theme out of the original Imperial theme. Might be in a minority here.

I was also fond of TESB droid motif. Which is why I think it is a great shame Williams never used it again. It was perfect.

Karol

Isn't the concert version of The Throne Room a Force theme suite of sorts?

Karol

No it isn't even close to a Force Theme concert arrangement. It is just one of the most bombastic appearances of the theme but has in itself only a short statement of the theme.

There are other much longer developed statements with B parts in the movies (see the force theme thread in the review board)

The closest thing to a concert version of the force theme is "For my ally is the Force." [Yoda And The Force, 0:58, 64sec] – Ethereal, Noble, Poignant, B - Part

I think the Force and Emperor themes deliberately have no concert movements. Fabulous as they are, I don't think they could carry a single lengthy piece as its main theme.

The "For my ally is the Force" Force Theme statement proves you otherwise. A little bit of extension and we would have a Force Theme concert arrangement with A and B parts

I disagree. There's one lengthy, slow statement of the theme in there. Nothing close to what you need to provide a full development of the theme, as in the other concert movements, and that necessitates a certain amount of repetition. I think the Force theme just isn't built to be repeated end to end on its own. It shows up all the time in the scores, often frequently within short amounts of time, but nearly always embedded in some context, and very much varied in tone and accompaniment to fit in there (there's even that awesome counterpoint version of it in TPM). I think Throne Room takes it as far as possible, and that relies on many other themes (obviously, being the end credits) to bind the whole thing together.

Well you only talk about the theme (A-Part) of the force theme but in the "My ally is the Force statement" you already have a B-Part in the end that would work absolutely perfect in a concert arrangement. The b-part would glue the different arrangements of the a parts together and voila you have your concert suite.

I dont understand why you even talk about the theme being repeated end to end when i specifically posted you an example of the theme where you have a completely different b-part after the usual Force Theme statement. You probably didnt listen closely enough. It sounds as if you didnt even recognize the b-part..

So for you Marian the specific timings ;)

Track: "Yoda and the Force":

Force Theme A Part from 0:58-1:34

Force Theme B Part from 1:34-2:02

You see there is a completely different 29 sec long B-part. And you really believe that isn't enough for a concert arrangement????

You see there is a completely different 29 sec long B-part. And you really believe that isn't enough for a concert arrangement????

:up:

The Force Theme, duh.

I always considered "The Arena" as some sort of concert arrangement for the Trade Federation March.

IMO, the Emperor's Theme, Kamino motif etc are too short for a concert arrangement.

However, there is "Three Note Loop" from Sorcerer's Stone, so you never know.

The Force Theme, duh.

I always considered "The Arena" as some sort of concert arrangement for the Trade Federation March.

While the themes are related, they are stand alone ideas. The Trade Federation march is not heard in the "The Arena."

I think some of these themes would better be served in a piece of music written as a set of variations on theme, or as a fugue where the short motif/theme is heard over and over again through various iterations until the big finish. The themes that lack concert themes are the ones that weren't long enough to warrant them in the first place.

The Chaconne from Gustav Holst's First Suite in Eb comes to mind as a solid example of such a variation on a theme.

That being said, I've grown fond of the original Imperial motif, even though the Imperial March is still the coolest thing since sliced bread. Lando's Theme is also a great theme, and it's a shame it was never heard from again.

TESB Droid motif for example in "Main Title, The Ice Planet Hoth" from 6:26 to 6:50

RoTJ Droid motif in "Main Title , Approaching The Death Star , Tatooine Rendezvous" from 6:42 to 7:45

The Victory Fanfare from ROTJ ("The Return of the Jedi" a.k.a. "Sail Barge Assault" and "Through the Flames" a.k.a. "The Battle of Endor III") should be on that list. THAT would be an awesome concert arrangement.

Well you only talk about the theme (A-Part) of the force theme but in the "My ally is the Force statement" you already have a B-Part in the end that would work absolutely perfect in a concert arrangement. The b-part would glue the different arrangements of the a parts together and voila you have your concert suite.

I dont understand why you even talk about the theme being repeated end to end when i specifically posted you an example of the theme where you have a completely different b-part after the usual Force Theme statement. You probably didnt listen closely enough. It sounds as if you didnt even recognize the b-part..

So for you Marian the specific timings ;)

I really do. The B part is more like a middle section for the whole arrangement (like that wonderfully atonal (?) part in Across the Stars), but I don't see it tying multiple (more than two) statements of the Force theme together.