So Ridley Scott is directing a Prometheus sequel... (The official Alien: Covenant Thread)

crocodile

8 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Actually, I would say that's not quite true. The characters do talk a wee bit about that towards the beginning of the film, but that's about it, really.

But in Alien 1, it's not like we hear about Ripley waxing lyrical about her daughter back home or Lambert bragging about her girlfriend on earth. If Alien 1 was written in 2017, they'd include all that shit and then some.

Right on, Alex! Audiences do not need every little thing explained to them.

30 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Translation: The more you guys say you hate it, the more my steely resolve to vocally love it will develop. For no particular reason other than to be defiant. 

LOL

This kind of poses an interesting question: when it comes to a professional (ie, someone who has an education of some sort, in cinema, or journalism, or both - yes, I'm looking at you, Winkleman!) reviewer, who does/did JWfaners trust? Norman? Kermode? Powell? Walker? Kael? Ebert? Malcolm? Reed (not until you came along! :P)?

20 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Lambert bragging about her girlfriend

Lambert's a lezzer?! Damn!!!

6 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Translation: The more you guys say you hate it, the more my steely resolve to vocally love it will develop. For no particular reason other than to be defiant. 

It's a big gift. By sheer willpower you overcome a whole system of gained beliefs and perceptions ét voila: from shite to glory in the instant the magical credit 'Directed by' (fill in your favourite hack) appears on screen.

34 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I think you attribute too much power to this community. I saw the movie and loved it before there were any reactions here (other than silly pre-judging). But you're right that the more arguments I read that I somehow feel are misunderstood or somehow misrepresent or overlook the qualities, the stronger my resolve to counter them. So far, most of the arguments have been predictable and easily countered.

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

I think you attribute too much power to this community.

Dude, come on. It was you who brought up the "culture" here at JWFan in regards to this movie, not me. 

Although your reply here does give away, perhaps unwittingly, more than you intended. 

"Culture"? What do you mean? There were pages with negative replies in this thread (do I really need to do a 'quote' extravaganza like Bloodboal did above?), and the other one over at the 'review' forum.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

No. But I do think you rather enjoy, in spite of yourself, the Thor vs JWFan division you have openly maintained over the years. 

Not sure 'enjoy' is the right word. Since I spend 90% of my time here defending stuff, the 'prevalent negativity' can also be quite irritating at times. And I don't particularly enjoy being irritated. Curiously, this is the only board this happens on such a regular basis....even FSM is fewer and further between.

Thor, I'm going to be completely honest:  In this thread, you've spent SIGNIFICANTLY more time talking about how others will view the film, how you'll be the only one that likes it, how you're going to write about it but haven't yet, and how you're ready to defend it, and various other ancillary things by a HUGE MARGIN than you have actually spend any time actually talking about the film itself.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Thor, I'm going to be completely honest:  In this thread, you've spent SIGNIFICANTLY more time talking about how others will view the film, how you'll be the only one that likes it, how you're going to write about it but haven't yet, and how you're ready to defend it, and various other ancillary things by a HUGE MARGIN than you have actually spend any time actually talking about the film itself.

As I said earlier -- that's because there's a sequence of events to this. I saw the film for the second time today. And I'm writing my Norwegian review as we speak (speaking of which, I should get back to that now). That will form the basis of any future discussions here. Maybe towards the end of next week. I'll get there, don't worry.

I'm not worried; I don't care about this film and am not sitting on the edge of my seat for your review.  Just saying that you could have written plenty about the actual film in the times in taken you to battle against people without actually talking about the film in your battles, or you could have just been silent until you bothered to focus your energy on writing the film instead of creating an antagonistic atmosphere for yourself before your review even drops.  Do you not realize you are creating your own antagonism directly by what you are posting in this thread instead of simply talking about the film?

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm not worried; I don't care about this film and am not sitting on the edge of my seat for your review.  Just saying that you could have written plenty about the actual film in the times in taken you to battle against people without actually talking about the film in your battles, or you could have just been silent until you bothered to focus your energy on writing the film instead of creating an antagonistic atmosphere for yourself before your review even drops.  Do you not realize you are creating your own antagonism directly by what you are posting in this thread instead of simply talking about the film?

Yes. But I can't help myself when I get passionate about a film like this. I guess I'm just treading water with frustrated responses to negative replies untill I get up and running. :)

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

No. But I do think you rather enjoy, in spite of yourself, the Thor vs JWFan division you have openly maintained over the years. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Not sure 'enjoy' is the right word. Since I spend 90% of my time here defending stuff, the 'prevalent negativity' can also be quite irritating at times. And I don't particularly enjoy being irritated. Curiously, this is the only board this happens on such a regular basis....even FSM is fewer and further between.

I'm gonna be honest -- I actually do enjoy the whole Thor vs. JWFan and FSM thing, to a point.

I mean, it's ridiculous, but it's entertaining. And whatever his quirks, the man certainly displays an appreciation for a well laid out album assembly. Neither forum would really be the same without him.

Yeah. And film critic means a relatively low danger threshold, in contrast to say, right wing demagogue about to swing an important vote.

I know what Thor is doing. When the naysayers have lost their interest to vent about Alien Covenant, that's when he'll bombard them with everything he's got. It's what all boxers do. You wait (and wait) until your opponent's energy is weakened, and then you strike, hoping they will not have the strength to recover.

Cheers!

boxing-ring-1024x690.jpg

Alex

I'll see it when I've caught up with the rest of the series and I'll be ready for Thor.

I'll fight him. Let me at him!

36 minutes ago, Quintus said:

From what others have told me, I get the impression there's no comparison. 

I've certainly not cultivated a persona around being the brilliant but tortured and isolated dissenter.

33 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Which ones do you still have to see?

All of them bar Alien 😂

I have Aliens, 3, and Resurection though. Just need to find the time to watch them.

18 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I've certainly not cultivated a persona around being the brilliant but tortured and isolated dissenter.

You should try! ;)

Just now, BloodBoal said:

I hope for your sake you didn't buy 3 and 4. ;)

The 4 of them cost €20 on BluRay together so I consider that getting 3 and 4 for free. 

I already upgraded my ALIEN DVD boxes twice. What am I missing from the BluRay release in terms of extras, compared to the Quadrilogy set?

46 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Well, the docus on the Blu-ray set are nice.

I love Sigourney Weaver doing her best char-lady impression, on the ALIEN 3 set.

"Cuppa tea?" ! :lol:

The Jon Finch stuff is priceless.

Yikes, so quite a lot, then.

I remember when I upgraded from the first DVD set to the Quadrilogy set, I also LOST something in the process, namely the isolated score tracks.

21 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You havent seen Alien till you've seen it in HD, Thor!

I've seen it in HD, of course (even if I don't have the BluRay set myself). I agree that the difference from the DVD set is rather monumental.