So Ridley Scott is directing a Prometheus sequel... (The official Alien: Covenant Thread)

crocodile

Okay .. I've rewatched Alien vs. Predator. It's a silly film but the fight scenes between aliens and predators are pretty good. How is it similar to Prometheus again, Steef? Help me out here, my memory is fuzzy.

The themes of Prometheus are speak and spell clichés for the FHM generation, done a million times before and far more substantially. Again, the script is the culprit, because visual themes (such as the eyes in Blade Runner) aren't apparent, or at least successfully conveyed.

Are Koray and Thor FHM readers?

Did I ever profess my deep and profound love for Prometheus? I enjoyed it on a filmic level, didn't think it was nearly as atrocious as many here claimed it to be. I also think I was one of the first people to point at the script as its fatal flaw.

• 5 months later...

I'm curious:

How many board members here are genuinely looking forward to a Prometheus 2?

I'm curious:

Jason I actually watched it again Sunday afternoon. The problems I saw in the theatre still exist. Like MoS I so wanted to like or love this film.

I'm sure I'd go see it if it does bridge Prometheus to Alien better.

Prometheus could have been really good if it was more directly related to Alien. The poor plot and character decisions are what ruins it. I enjoyed it enough that I will go see the sequel but it's not like I'm excited for it.

the last scene with the creature bursting from the engineer's chest has no impact. sure some fanboys were creaming their pants thinking the xenomorph was the same as in the Alien films but it was not. We know at this point the xenomorphs in Alien has been around a lot longer and those murals on the ceilings gave credence to that belief, not to mention Predator 2, and the AVP films(assuming anyone give them any canon like authority).

It should have been the same planet. What they found in Alien should have been the remains of Prometheus without all the weird gene mutations transferring from one organism to another to finally get to something that only looks remotely like a Xenomorph.

I'm curious:

Genuinly...no!

I hated this movie. Hated hated hated hated hated this movie. Hated it. Hated every simpering stupid vacant audience-insulting moment of it. Hated the sensibility that thought anyone would like it. Hated the implied insult to the audience by its belief that anyone would be entertained by it.

Prometheus could have been really good if it was more directly related to Alien. The poor plot and character decisions are what ruins it. I enjoyed it enough that I will go see the sequel but it's not like I'm excited for it.

Exactly. It was a prequel, yet they tried to disconnect it which severely hurt the film. I didn't mind some of the side characters, and think that people were just extremely critical of the film because they expected a masterpiece and forgot that Scott is not nearly the same director anymore. That being said, if I do watch the sequel it'd definitely be a Super Tuesday or Netflix viewing for me.

I'm looking forward to it. I loved the setup at the end with David and Shaw going out to find the home planet. The film should've ended there. The pseudo-xenomorph thing should've been post-credits if anything.

I'm curious:

Genuinly...no!

I hated this movie. Hated hated hated hated hated this movie. Hated it. Hated every simpering stupid vacant audience-insulting moment of it. Hated the sensibility that thought anyone would like it. Hated the implied insult to the audience by its belief that anyone would be entertained by it.

I couldn't even hate it. It got sheer apathy from me and a laugh.

Exactly. It was a prequel, yet they tried to disconnect it which severely hurt the film.

I don't get this. The more a film is related to Alien, the better? Prometheus could've been good if the material was good (psst, it wasn't). Alien was based on a good screenplay. That was the basis for making the film in the first place. It inspired people to make a great film. These days, however, people are making films based on literally nothing. It's the same with Blade Runner 2. There is nothing, no great idea, not a fantastic book, not a great screenplay ... but Ridley Scott wants to make a film anyway and so he orders Hampton Fancher to come up with a story and then he orders Green Lantern/Smallville/Heroes writer Michael Green to (re)write that story so he can make another film. Hmmm ...

If it was 1978 and Prometheus was one of the many scripts lying on Ridley's desk, he would not even have considered it. But since Scott was the one who 'commissioned' it, it somehow seems there is no way back.

Alex

There's another problem ... Scott has become too powerful. Nobody had to guts to say, "But Ridley, this script sucks!" Or, "Say Ridley, before you make another movie, why don't you read some great unfilmed science fiction novels?"

Alex

• 4 months later...

Prometheus didnt inspire much confidence that Scott still know how to do sci-fi.

I'd like to see him have another go with a script that is actually worthwhile, but I'm still amazed Ridley actually went ahead with the script they put in front of him....

Prometheus wasn't a poorly directed film, just a mediocrely written one. The production value and execution was pretty top shelf.

Yes.

Mediocrely [sic] written? The screenplay was awful. Only good things it had going were the production design and Fassbender and Rapace's performances. Scott's direction was as cold and unengaging as ever.

You know, the more his career progresses, the more his ad-man colours begin to show through. He's a snake oil salesman of pseudo-existential bullshit, and boy is he good it at it.

The direction didnt elevate the film at all.

The last film his direction really elavated was Kingdom of Heaven. I liked the film (in its complete form), despite the script.

Karol

Prometheus didnt inspire much confidence that Scott still know how to do sci-fi.

I'd like to see him have another go with a script that is actually worthwhile, but I'm still amazed Ridley actually went ahead with the script they put in front of him....

For whatever reason, my mind ignored all of the plot/character problems while watching it, and just gave me a damn good couple of hours. I'd relish another one with a better story behind it :)

(to answer Jay's question from June: hell yes!)

The direction didnt elevate the film at all.

Thank you, Steef! Of course the production feels top-notch. Prometheus costs a gazillion bucks and technically it's a well-oiled product from the Scott factory. But the direction and overall artistry is bland as the screenplay. The strong passion that Scott displayed in his early movies has been long gone.

Alex

• 2 months later...

Well said, Alexcremers! (Oh, that's me! Sorry!)

Anyhoo, it appears Prometheus is sorta what Ridley Scott had in mind in 1984 when they asked him what he wanted for Alien 2. Also, read and learn how nobody even considered him for the sequel. Amazing!

http://alienseries.wordpress.com/tag/ridley-scott/

Alex

• 2 months later...

Prometheus 2 (not the official title) has hired Michael Green to do a rewrite on Jack Paglen's script, and will be Ridley Scott's next movie after delivering Exodus to 20th Century Fox in the fall. (Additionally, the film is expected to use several versions of Michael Fassbender's David, but no word on whether Noomi Rapace is returning.)

http://www.thewrap.com/prometheus-2-lands-green-lantern-writer-may-feature-multiple-michael-fassbenders-exclusive/

And that will be the 'Untitled Ridley Scott Project' Fox slated for March 4, 2016.