Independence Day: Resurgence (Film and Score)

MSM

7 minutes ago, Shatner's Rug said:

I don't really follow Rotten Tomatoes. But I just checked ID4 and it got 61 per cent. Is that good?

The percent is a based on the total number of reviews that are positive vs those that are negative or wishy washy. It is actually not a reflection of the films actual quality. There is also an average grade which is somewhat more reflective.

If we're going down the aggregate road I'll always try anything over 50 percent and have often gone lower. I seem to recall legendary Brit film critic Kim Newman gave ID4 a cracking good review back in the day. He being particular fan of all things sci-fi, horror and schlock. It was he who made me see ID4 at the pictures. 

Anyway, are we officially calling 60% on RT a "panning" now, then? Just so I know. 

No. Rottentomatoes.com sets what they call fresh and what they call rotten. Under 60 % is rotten. Just like in most schools under 60 % is a failing grade. But anyone who doesn't go the a movie based on a rottentomatoes.com score is a blithering idiot. It's a tool and or guide. A bunch of us really liked X-men Apocalypse and it's certified rotten. If initial reviews guided us,on everything films like Psycho, Wizard of Oz, and It a Wonderful Life would not be classics

It was for me in grade school and college. Some teachers were tougher. Analytical Geometry was 95 to 100 A, 94 to 85 B, etc. In my actual work grade on one aspect of my job 94 is unsatisfactory which I sadly found out. 

Nice to hear the orchestra and not just brahmmmmmms!!!! and electronic drums. This score might be okay. My interest in the music is growing. But my interest in the film is still decreasing. Those effects look utter trash and the whole 'sucking-up-everything-and-dropping-it-back-down-to-destroy-it' thing was done in transformers and that even looked better. 

I remember when ID4 first came out, recognizing the voice that Brent Spiner uses when the alien is speaking through him, same as one he used in the TNG episode "Masks" when Data takes on various personalities.

Well, err, I haven't listened to the soundtrack but it's available if you want to hear it. Unfortunately, the promising score soundbites may have been folly. This is every user review I could find on the soundtrack, not one positive comment amongst them:

it's pretty damned generic after all, but with a bit of fantasy and a modern sound...and NOT A TRACE of David Arnold's themes to be found. There's a theme, but it can't even touch Arnold's themes. I guess traces of the original are only in the "iD4 Reprise" track which would completely clash with the music in this score. Such a disconnect from what I can tell. Disappointed, and that's what I was expecting anyway.

One little half-hearted attempt to use the main theme, on strings in "We Are Rich" before the aforementioned "iD4 Reprise" which is just a 2 minute quickie arrangement of the original film's end title fanfare before the alien theme took over. All that iD4 Reprise track does is show what a lame score Kloser and Wander composed. It's a really good re-recording of Arnold's themes that puts this score to shame in a mere 2 minutes and 33 seconds.

I feel your pain. It is uninspiring.

last time i was so frustrated was when i got hemorrhoids 

It's a lame score, nothing compare to Arnold.

Spot on analysis. What a dog this score is. The original film is a dumb-but-cheesy-fun ride, and Arnold's score is at least half of the reason why. I've absolutely no desire to see this new film now; with music this uninspired

I agree, this soundtrack is flat, no emotion, nothing except ID4 reprise, so I canceled my order and I m afraid about the movie 

Sadly, our fears appear to have been realised; it's another Kloser/Wanker yawnfest.

Arnold's snub for this film is probably the most egregious scoring decision in recent memory. I can't even think of one that comes close.

If it's really as bad as all that and after Arnold went on record as being interested in returning to the series then I hope this movie is a massive failure.

I've heard most of the score, and it's thoroughly unremarkable. I've struggled to identify any themes at all.

It plays like a TV score to me - lots of standalone cues that by themselves are competent scoring, but there's nothing holding it together in terms of theme, style, or anything really. The cameos of Arnold's themes feel very strange.

What Arnold would have given us is probably in a completely different league to this score. For Kloser's sake, I hope Emmerich is the guilty party here, and asked for a subtle approach. In fact, listening to this, it's easy to forget this is the same director who got the first score.

It's a rather sad step down, musically. Especially after all the rumours/reports that Emmerich felt he could get better than Arnold for The Patriot. Heck of a way to thank him for the toil Arnold went through for ID4.

I wouldn't call it 'bad'. It's a reasonable background listen if you're doing something else at the same time.

It just needed to be so much more than that for a film like this, and in comparison to the first score, falls flat on its face.

On 6/10/2016 at 11:49 AM, Shatner's Rug said:

Ah. Down Under, grading works like this:

High Distinction (HD) - 85-100%

Distinction (D) - 75-84%

Credit (C) - 65-74%

Pass (P) - 50-64%

Fail (F) - 0-49%

i like that

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I wouldn't call it 'bad'. It's a reasonable background listen if you're doing something else at the same time.

Unfortunately the movie crew feels that watching the film it's attached to is the something else you're doing at the same time.