Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

It wasn't frustrating for me, because it seems that is how it was conceived this time. The album being simply a more listener-friendly musically-flowing cue-joined version of that.

I'm repeating myself here, I know.

Karol

Frustrating?

Yeah, largely because of the way it was mixed and the random times it's dialled in and dialled out. Leaving huge action sequences with random gaping bits of silence only lent to the already convoluted sense of pacing in the film.

Speaking of film/album comparison, I remember being completely perplexed upon hearing the LOTR trilogy scores in films for the very first time. No The Prophecy, TTT is completely out of order and ROTK has a different climax with a lot of best music not being on there. Today those albums feel more like "original alternates collection from the motion picture" rather than "original music from the motion picture". Quite odd albums in retrospect, much more so than the two latest ones.

Karol

It wasn't frustrating for me, because it seems that is how it was conceived this time. The album being simply a more listener-friendly musically-flowing cue-joined version of that.

I'm repeating myself here, I know.

Karol

some cues are definitely like this (like 'Hunters')

but there are clear cases of scenes with music scored for them that Jackson just didnt want to have music apparently

(Like the aforementioned Bilbo fighting the tiny spider)

but thats nothing new, given how LOTR had silences in it as well when compared to the CRs (Smeagol choking Deagol, Shelob stalking Frodo)

A bit repetitive in the first half, though. How many times can you hear Nazgul theme?

I like TTT the most. It's completely out of order, true, but there's so much variety and colour there that I find irresistible.

Karol

In my opinion FOTR is still the strongest of the 5 OST's. Not perfect, but certainly flows the best. Strongest narrative,

Oh yea, no question!

The music is great, but it does feel like any kind of journey to me.

i know it's very hard to distill the essence of such a long and complex score down to a 70+ minute CD. But it doesn't really flow to me. Just a bunch of fairly random tracks from the score

I too think the ROTK OST is a bit if a mess. The TTT OST is wildly out-of any kind of order, yet somehow really works.

Yeah I think it is a very strong OST presentation.

Yeah, I thought it wouldn't be because you saw the film before me and mentioned it here. But then, it proved not to be the case. It cuts off at the exactly same moment.

Karol

The FotR OST is the worst representation of the score. The RotK OST gets closest to including all the highlights from the complete score, even if the edits are kind of haphazard.

And Karol, I too, thought the choral statement would be removed after everyone kept going on about the lack of music at the end. So I was really pleased to see that eerie statement accompany that beautiful shot of Smaug shooting into the sky with glittering gold. Its a shame they cut that last bit though...such a creepy ending.

The FotR OST is the worst representation of the score. The RotK OST gets closest to including all the highlights from the complete score, even if the edits are kind of haphazard.

And Karol, I too, thought the choral statement would be removed after everyone kept going on about the lack of music at the end. So I was really pleased to see that eerie statement accompany that beautiful shot of Smaug shooting into the sky with glittering gold. Its a shame they cut that last bit though...such a creepy ending.

that is a minor shame, but the silence is just as creepy in a way

also all this talk about OSTs and I barely even remember what it was like to listen to them ever since the CRs came out

The final 2 minutes of My Armor Is Iron are truly wonderful. The choral renditions of Smaug's theme is a brilliant musical cliffhanger with superb touch of ethereal foreboding only enchanced by the final bursts of brass.

Followed by Ed Sheerans brilliant voice!

What? Who is this Ed Sheeran? As far as I can remember my playlist continues with Beyond the Forest. There is no Sheeran song in there at all. ;)

Good grief that song sounds horrible and comes really out of the blue stylistically. Hence it is not on my playlist and I tend to skip it when I listen to the CDs. A second miss in the song department for PJ and crew but as BB said it makes Finn's song look good in comparison.

Quint will have a miserable time with DoS. Can't wait to hear his bitching. Well, the latest bitching.

Must be fun being a rebel.

A rebel? So anyone who doesn't share your view that this movie is good is a "rebel" are they? Wow you really are a monumental cunt aren't you. Massive. In case your blind fuck eyeballs hadn't noticed there's actually quite a few genuine LotR detractors here, and I'm not even one of them. And had I known you hang onto my every word as you just claimed to do I'd have saw the movie sooner. Sorry for the delay, now go shove your moulded Tolkien dildo up your arse you horrible little greasy craphat.

OK settle down fellows! It is just a movie and a score!

I'm just getting warmed up. When it comes to uncouth verbosity it takes a few more back-and-fourths before I begin to reach my plateau.

And you want to spoil that? :(:P

OK settle down fellows! It is just a movie and a score!

I'm just getting warmed up. When it comes to uncouth verbosity it takes a few more back-and-fourths before I begin to reach my plateau.

And you want to spoil that? :(:P

Yeah I kind of do. Call it my personal quirk.

Would you humor me a bit more and return to civil discourse with gkgyver and the rest of the gang.

Georg if you are reading this please stop antagonizing or being antagonized and refrain from verbal abuse. If JWFan falls what will happen to the rest of the civilized world. Countries will begin to fall like dominoes. Chaos will engulf the interwebs.

I hope you take as much care for the other ills that plague our civilization as you do for the gazillionst Hobbit-thread here.

Indeed I do. In my spare time I help to save babies from burning buildings and the Baltic Sea from oil catastrophies. And I have a few minutes to spare to listen to John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith and others every day!

Would you humor me a bit more and return to civil discourse with gkgyver and the rest of the gang.

The rest of the gang? What do you mean?

As for Nazi Hobbit bummer; no chance. If I could block my posts from him I would. I don't want that barbarian scrotum reading my posts, let alone my future Hobbit reactions, but the problem is the last time he blocked myself (and Steef) he just couldn't help himself and read me anyway, such is his sad little obsessive devotion to my Hobbit movies discontent. Be civil to gkg? No can do. I enjoy this too much.

Lee - expecting a ban.

I hope you take as much care for the other ills that plague our civilization as you do for the gazillionst Hobbit-thread here.

Indeed I do. In my spare time I help to save babies from burning buildings and the Baltic Sea from oil catastrophies. And I have a few minutes to spare to listen to John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith and others every day!

Don't forget all those hours compiling Hobbit minutiae... ;)

Don't forget all those hours compiling Hobbit minutiae... ;)

Yes! I also sleep with LotR and The Hobbit and Silmarillion under my pillow so they might induce Hobbity dreams! It's all very wizard!

None is better! Feel free to contribute!

Or you could say something about the music if you dare. ;)