What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

19 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I'll go today ... there can't be anything in it as dumb as that bit in Prometheus where Charlize Theron forgets that the way to escape being crushed by a rolling spaceship is to run off to one side, out of its path.  

Can there? 

You don't get it, Sweepers. This spectacular action scene is actually about feeling safe in daily routine and not being able to change course. 

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this movie has always looked so obviously "dumb" in the run-up to release, why are people still bothering to go and see it then? I don't understand. From where I'm sitting, it appears that "dumb" moviegoers get the movie they deserve. 

Alien : Covenant - enjoyed this a good deal more than Prometheus. Not JUST as good as the first couple of movies in the franchise, but still way ahead of the likes of the aforementioned Prometheus and Alien : Resurrection. 

Guardians 2 :Entertaining enough, though you never get the feeling that anything is at stake.Most convincing CGI De-ageing to date

King Arthur .I actually liked this. Screw the reviews

Colossal. Interesting story,good acting..but won't leave a long lasting impression

I saw Guardians vol. 2 and it's pretty much the first time I saw a genuinely great film from the MCU. Really nice on all fronts, although personal and cartoony enough to put off certain viewers I imagine. Gunn pretty much fixes what I didn't like in the first one (blank villain, too much plot stopping character interaction). Great characters, great colorful design. There are maybe some slights, that I can't describe in three lines, but I pretty much forgive them.

What, I think, is so divisive about Guardians 2 is that it pushes the series into a pure comedy territory while the first film still tried to be a s-f action adventure as well.

Karol

This is kinda Futurama. The thing is it does take its absurd characters and points of view and emotions seriously. Gunn is too good at playing with tone (seriousness, cheesynees, hilarity) for his own good. Another thing I noticed reading bad reviews (interesting thing to do) is that they often expressely hated the main characters, so that might be the thing here. For me, maybe the least interesting part is when it tries to emulate the first film in the first act, but I enjoyed that nonetheless. It isn't lacking in adventure afterwards, it's just less by-the-book and more relaxed (for others who are not me, "terrible pacing".) I think I ended up re-appreciating some stuff in the first one, mainly the prison sequence and the "should we have the third act" argument (the latter informs the style of the second film a lot).

Now they'll just kill Guardians characters in Infinity War and ruin the thing.

I also saw Your Name and Logan. I like them both, although the latter seems a bit confused on a script level (they try really hard to make up for it with everything else though). And Your Name is a pretty film but too long for what it is (people were crying at the cinema).

Oh, and I also saw Train to Busan. I'm not into zombies, and the set up seems unsufferably cliche, but at times it delved into graphic adventure territory and I liked the occasional humor and absurd situations.

On 1/5/2017 at 4:15 PM, Disco Stu said:

With the track record of when de-aging looks terrible, I bet Gunn had an effects house working on those shots before the film was even in production to make sure it looked right.

I think this was mostly make up with CGI touches. It was funny because it was young Kurt Russel with the wider face of older Kurt Russell.

Now seriously. You can't ask these movies to do everything at once to please everyone. They've tried that and it's dull as heck. They're better off having writers-directors with an interest on something, picking a specific audience and going all out for that. So the films belong in different styles and subgenres for different overlapping audiences. So it doesn't get Thor 2 level stale.

They put a Spider-Man trailer before Guardians, which hasn't managed to interest me (romatized high school stuff! ugly photography!), but I am interested in whatever Taika Waititi does with Thor.

Colossal. I'm not sure whether it is a good film but at least there's something to it. Contrary to my expectations, it is neither a monster movie nor a comedy. More about addiciton, abuse and manipulation than it is about Kaiju monsters. I'm not sure it works, But hey... at least it's something else.

colossalposter.jpg

Karol

There was some decent material in there. But due to genre-bending nature I would expect it to make a very coherent listening experience. 

Karol

One thing I keep thinking about in Guardians 2 is the running joke where Drax tells the antennae girl she's ugly. I still can't find the angle where this is supposed to be funny and it just seemed awkward. I can't think of any situation where you'd tell that to someone  even if you mean it a joke.

Really? Being awkwardly, brutally honest is, like, Drax's most notable character trait and used for much of his comedy.  Saying things you would never say to someone in real life is kind of Drax's main point....

29 minutes ago, publicist said:

I'm almost tempted to watch it now. Probably end up liking it!

Thor is waiting for you with open arms.

I was expecting to be completely underwhelmed by Alien Coverage after some of the initial negativity directed toward it, but after watching it, I was like "what were they on about? This movie was awesome!"

Dexter was fine for 4 seasons then complete and utter shit for the last 4, what a godawful ending