RICHARDSTRAUSS68

As far as I know James Fitzpatrick (producer of various Tadlow label re-recordings and as well as for projects via Prometheus label) has shown considerable interest in resurrecting this score for his label. The problem is that there were various rumours that the full score tapes had been found. What we know basically that those tapes were only mono stems and of low  grade quality so they are un-do able as a project since Williams himself would not be interested in having that kind of quality to be provided. But recently James inquired about the definite word on the status of this score if these were found in stereo or not. From there the trail goes cold.

I can only hope that a complete re-recording of this would happen whether they find the tapes or not. Obviously it is doable at this point and James doesn't want his sales to be impacted if the new pressing of it were to appear suddenly like It happend with CONAN THE BARBARIAN and OBSESSION.

On 12/28/2016 at 4:44 AM, crumbs said:

Geez I'd hate to think the master tapes are lying around somewhere disintegrating while nobody knows where they are. What a shame. :(

////////

3 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

They should reissue the OS album first of all.

I'd be happy enough about that!

I would too. I have Jeff's email from Varsee. I should ask him if there is any plans to tomorrow.

21 minutes ago, dillweed97 said:

I know it is a great score. If it was up to me I would find a great symphony near me and get them to re-record with some PDF Scans of the original score and release to you guys if it was unable to be restored or redone.

Wait this one of the many things lost in great universal fire?

It's been speculated this might be the case, if only because there's no trace of the tapes.

Thank goodness we didn't lose either Jurassic score in that fire!

33 minutes ago, crumbs said:

It's been speculated this might be the case, if only because there's no trace of the tapes.

Thank goodness we didn't lose either Jurassic score in that fire!

What storage places burned? 

5 minutes ago, dillweed97 said:

What storage places burned? 

The studio sent out memos to film bookers on Tuesday that stated “nearly 100% of the archive prints kept here on the lot” were destroyed.

The vault contained up to 50,000 videos or film reels, as well as music recordings that were destroyed in the blaze.

However, the studio is adamant that the contents of the destroyed vault only contained digital or film copies; All master negatives of classic films are kept elsewhere as part of the studio’s film preservation strategy

http://variety.com/2008/film/features/archive-prints-lost-in-universal-fire-1117986831/

9 minutes ago, crumbs said:

So the few reels varsee has in stereo may be all that's left. It could be possible they recorded all but 9 out of 10 times they only get reels from what they release :( 

3 minutes ago, dillweed97 said:

So the few reels varsee has in stereo may be all that's left. It could be possible they recorded all but 9 out of 10 times they only get reels from what they release :( 

It's likely the album masters are kept in a different place to the session masters. There's probably a few low quality mono copies floating around as well but there's not much point releasing without the original session tapes.

Just now, crumbs said:

It's likely the album masters are kept in a different place to the session masters. There's probably a few low quality mono copies floating around as well but there's not much point releasing without the original session tapes.

Varese form what I hear attended the sessions and recorded their own masters for the first release for Dracula this would be the 10 they did for the Vinyl. I learned this form research for Small Soldiers when I was tracking recordings and one man who attended was telling me how they get their own masters that are mixed at the sessions and take them to be stored for future releases so if there is a reissue they won't have to go to studios for reissues to et masters they just get permission and go. To an extent they have sheets to I learned that from a patton project I was on. From what I have heard also is that they do not tend to store things well and sorting is bad. All old digital files were deleted and then archived what they were so they know what was there at one point. 

6 hours ago, dillweed97 said:

Varese form what I hear attended the sessions and recorded their own masters for the first release for Dracula this would be the 10 they did for the Vinyl. 

Varése didn't really exist back then. The cd was just a remaster of MCA's old record master done in 1991.

As I've said before, I don't really see the need for a re-recording. There's a perfectly fine soundtrack album out there, and if it's getting hard to find, reissue it (maybe even with remastered sound, although I've never understood the 'sound issues' that some have with this).

The only rerecording I will condone is of a completely unreleased score, first and foremost STORY OF A WOMAN.

Of course, fucking of course! I'd pay for the effing thing, myself, if I could. I make just three demands: 

1/ it's recorded at Abbey Road 

2/ it's performed by the LSO

3/ I'm at the sessions (sorry, but it's my money)

Varese would have released their OOP album as an Encore but have not done so apparently they are holding it off for the original complete masters to turn up. Thats the only hopefull thing I can surmise.

29 minutes ago, azahid said:

Varese would have released their OOP album as an Encore but have not done so apparently they are holding it off for the original complete masters to turn up. Thats the only hopefull thing I can surmise.

Well hopefully someone will find it or they just rerecord, nothing can replace the original but if it's gone.... 

1 hour ago, azahid said:

The chances of the master tapes turning up, are about the same as the chances of anything coming from Mars.

It's a pipe-dream, but we should accept that the OST, and the Blu-ray are all we've got.

On 12/29/2016 at 12:30 AM, Richard said:

The chances of the master tapes turning up, are about the same as the chances of anything coming from Mars.

It's a pipe-dream, but we should accept that the OST, and the Blu-ray are all we've got.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Would the film stems have anything useful?

It's entirely possible, but how many prints (let alone a negative) of DRACULA exist?

edit. I guess at least one must exist, otherwise how was the Blu-ray transfer made?

1 minute ago, Richard said:

It's entirely possible, but how many prints (let alone a negative) of DRACULA exist?

Good point, I wonder if there is a vault that MCA use to keep their old stuff that is unarchived somewhat, it could be in there. Also I picked up the CD, found it at a goodwill for 75 cents today looking for vinyls and I hear the hiss you guys were talking about as well.

Just now, Richard said:

Now, just a damn minute! 

You got the Varese Sarabande CD of  DRACULA for 75 cents????!!!!!!!!!! 

You are the luckiest JWfaner alive!!!!!!

Kudos, dude.

Thanks xD go check out goodwills they can't tell what is a good CD/Vinyl for shit! IT's where I got my original pressings of Star Wars,E.T., And CEOFTK from!

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Now, just a damn minute! 

You got the Varese Sarabande CD of  DRACULA for 75 cents????!!!!!!!!!! 

You are the luckiest JWfaner alive!!!!!!

Kudos, dude.

I got it too at a used CD store, but for 15 bucks or so. Yeah, 75 cents is insane! :)

6 hours ago, dillweed97 said:

Thanks xD go check out goodwills they can't tell what is a good CD/Vinyl for shit! IT's where I got my original pressings of Star Wars,E.T., And CEOFTK from!

Hey buddy, if you want to double your money, I'll buy it from you for a buck fifty.

11 hours ago, dillweed97 said:

Thanks xD go check out goodwills they can't tell what is a good CD/Vinyl for shit! 

Copy that. I got an original CD of Dylan's A FOOL SUCH AS I for £1:99 (that's about $3:30).

Bar, and, most definitely, gain!

After hearing how Raine and the CoPPO tackled The Blue Max, QBVII and The Thief of Baghdad, I'm pretty sure they would do a marvelous job in re-recording a full Williams score such as Dracula. I hope Fitzpatrick will be able to solve the issue and produce the recording, as he's showing a quite strong interest in it.

19 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Doesnt Fitz dislike Williams' music and will only record his material if someone pays him to do it?

Not quite. I do remember him talking warmly about DRACULA, as previously mentioned. But when I mentioned STORIA DI UNA DONNA as a preferred alternative, that's when he drew up the statement you mention ("pay up, and I'll do it for you"). He seems mostly interested in persuing his personal favourites (especially Rozsa), and who can blame him, really? Wouldn't you have done the same in his situation?

He loves Tiomkin so it's quite unlikely that he doesn't. Though i guess he favours less well-represented composers, mostly. 

Though why he never followed up his Kickstarter experiment ('Moonraker', hardly an essential score) with some more options i don't know. Maybe he is afraid of the results: he may end up re-recording 'Star Wars', 'Star Trek' and 'Krull' in all eternity.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Not quite. I do remember him talking warmly about DRACULA, as previously mentioned. But when I mentioned STORIA DI UNA DONNA as a preferred alternative, that's when he drew up the statement you mention ("pay up, and I'll do it for you"). He seems mostly interested in persuing his personal favourites (especially Rozsa), and who can blame him, really? Wouldn't you have done the same in his situation?

I would not waste my money on Williams! Goldsmith all the way! 😉

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Doesnt Fitz dislike Williams' music and will only record his material if someone pays him to do it?

I wonder if he feels it's an insult to the composer to want to re-record his music while he's still alive. Goldsmith, Tiomkin, Rozsa, et al can no longer decide to re-record their scores as money grabbing opportunities, but Williams could. He won't, of course, but he still has first dibs. Once Williams passes, consider the rerecordings fair game. 

Of course, this idea does not hold water when you consider how damn saturated the market is with Star Wars (and at least one Jaws)  rerecordings, though none very recent. 

Were the original recordings feared lost in the fire on the Universal backlot, which also claimed the classic King Kong attraction? We thought the same about Family Plot, but that one was released. Also, the Jaws scores are Universal. There's still hope the masters exist.

20 hours ago, petaQ said:

I wonder if he feels it's an insult to the composer to want to re-record his music while he's still alive. Goldsmith, Tiomkin, Rozsa, et al can no longer decide to re-record their scores as money grabbing opportunities, but Williams could. He won't, of course, but he still has first dibs. Once Williams passes, consider the rerecordings fair game. 

Of course, this idea does not hold water when you consider how damn saturated the market is with Star Wars (and at least one Jaws)  rerecordings, though none very recent. 

Or just when you consider how the orchestral music recording business works in general.

I'm speaking from memory, so don't shoot if I'm wrong, but wasn't Dracula recorded at CTS Studios in London, which famously chucked out all their recordings when the facility was demolished (at least those that the artists didn't fetch beforehand)? Wasn't that what happened to Raise the Titanic and some of the Elmer Bernstein Film Music Collection recordings?

As for a re-recording of the complete score, bring it on!

Tadlow seems to be winding down this year, only Ben-Hur and one other score planned for recording so not likely. Maybe Varese will record it with the same orchestra they used on their Back to 1985 comp, and combine it with the OST remastered on CD2?

2 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

I'm speaking from memory, so don't shoot if I'm wrong, but wasn't Dracula recorded at CTS Studios in London, which famously chucked out all their recordings when the facility was demolished (at least those that the artists didn't fetch beforehand)? Wasn't that what happened to Raise the Titanic and some of the Elmer Bernstein Film Music Collection recordings?

The score was recorded at Anvil Denham recording studio, the same location where Star Wars, Superman and TESB were recorded. However, it could be that one of the reasons the original session tapes cannot be found so far is precisely this. I don't know if the reels were sent back to Los Angeles for post-production or if they were stored at Denham or maybe at Shepparton studios where the film was shot.