Top ten themes from Lord of the rings and top ten themes from The Hobbit

Smaug The Iron

Just now, SafeUnderHill said:

Nice thread idea, will get back with mine later. What are yours?

LOTR.                                     

1. Fellowship          
  2. History of the ring
  3. The Shire
  4. Rivendel
  5. Rohan 
  6. Isengard
  7. Nature's reclamation 
  8. Lothlorien
  9. Gondor
  10. Pity of Gollum

Hobbit

1. Baggins/Took
  2. Tauriel and Kili
  3. Bard's family 
  4. Misty mountains 
  5. Thorin
  6. Smaug
  7. House of Durin
  8. Bilbo's fussy theme
  9. Tauriel
  10. Lake-town

Aren't there already probably several threads about this?

At any rate, I can't remember enough of the official designations of any of these to list them off anymore. But Nature's Reclamation, and theme which seems to call back to the ancient glories of Numenor (and its Fourth Age evolution) are some of my favorites. From the new films, I dig the unused Company theme and that very grave Dwarvish thing.

11 hours ago, SafeUnderHill said:

Although I think this is the best part of Beorn's theme:

Imagine how awesome that would have been as Beorn attacks in Battle of the Five Armies.

Imagine how awesome it would have been had Beorn performed any attacking of note in Battle of the Five Armies. Then we might have actually heard more of his material.

Sadly Beorn seems like an afterthought with no real consequence in turning the tide of the battle. Once the eagles arrive it is aquilae ex machina mop-up operation after the battle which is over before the viewers know it. Shame that the little foreshadowing of Radagast getting their allies' help at the start of the movie doesn't amount to much. Musically it would have been a great possibility to bring Beorn's theme back into the score.

That bit in the Chronicles book (can't remember if it was 5 or 6) left me dumbfounded. 'First he was in, then out, then in again' or words to that effect. Given that they bothered to extend his role in the DoS EE, I can't help but think that the plan changed big time. Hell, something must have changed after this:

http://ew.com/article/2014/10/23/peter-jackson-hobbit-the-battle-of-the-five-armies/

Look at how he talks about the Eagles. Look at the original plan (below, part of the same article) for the arrival of the Eagles and Beorn - he is last, separate from the Eagles. Everyone is surrounded in the middle, fighting together. There are Wargs heavily involved. It is how it should be. And it appears as though Bard, some Elves and some Dwarves were going to lead late counters to aid the surrounded in the middle. Had we got this it could have been magnificent. But everything changed, and for the worse (the article dates from October 2014 btw):

the-hobbit-the-battle-of-the-five-armies

LOTR:

1 The History of the Ring

2 The Fellowship of the Ring

3 The Seduction of the Ring

4 A Hobbit's Understanding

5 Nature's Reclamation

6 The Journey There

7 Sauron's Theme

8 The Shire

9 Into The West

10 Rohan

11 Gondor

12 Rivendell

13 Lothlorien

TH:

1 The Company (Shore's version)

2 Bilbo's Theme

3 Smaug

4 Misty Mountains

5 Erebor

6 The Woodland Realm

7 House of Durin

8 Radagast

9 Tauriel

10 Bard the Leader

Though both one offs, I also must mention the breathtakingly sorrowful music that accompanies Faramir and company on their way out of Minas Tirith, and the first appearance of Shadowfax.

This reminds me I should reserve a few hours to listen to the LotR trilogy again. It has been a while since I did that.

And yes the music for Shadowfax' introduction in TTT is spot perfect, one of many of those brilliant individual standalone moments from these scores. Not only does Shore's music make the scene it actually captures something mythical and majestic about the character in a profound way.

LOTR
1.  The Journey There
2.  Gondor (esp. in Decline)
3.  The Shire
4.  The Grey Havens
5.  A Hobbit's Understanding
6.  Sauron/Evil of the Ring
7.  Seduction of the Ring
8.  What I call "The Waning of the Stewards"*
9.  Nature's Reclamation/"Hope Unlooked For"**
10. The Pity of Gollum

1A. My two favorite musical moments in any of the Middle-Earth films are both one-offs: 3:53-4:37 of "The Breaking of the Fellowship" and the fall of Osgiliath (7:53-8:26 of "Osgiliath Invaded.")

Hobbit
1.  Goblintown
2.  The Nine
3.  Tauriel
4.  Radagast
5.  Laketown
6.  Beorn
7.  Mirkwood
8.  Bard the Hero/Spotlight
9.  Bilbo's Fussy Theme
10. The High Fells

*Before the Annotated Scores and Doug's book, I considered the Faramir & Denethor Theme, The Witch-King, and the "miscellaneous Mordor music" in "The Tomb of the Stewards" all variations on the same basic idea.
**I still prefer Marilyn's name for it.

• 2 years later...

Company's Main Theme: Edge of the Wild

Bilbo's Theme: either Axe or Sword (4:42-end) or Dreaming of Bag End

48 minutes ago, Bofur01 said:

The Forest River is great.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

On the Doorstep

I used the Thorin material in both pieces as part of my intermission/entracte music between the different blurays. Works very well indeed.

54 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Czech out Flies and Spiders, The Forest River, and the second half of Beyond the Forest.

The opening of Beyond the Forest is the most beautiful melody in all the Hobbit films. Its general excision from the scores remains both/either or Jackson and Shore's greatest sin!

The Woodland theme, Bilbo's Theme, Radagast, Smaug, Tauriel and Laketown are all great follow-ups.

Oh, I love the opening, too!  The entire track is a high point of The Hobbit's scores.  I only mentioned the second half because Jurassic Shark was looking for specific examples of themes.  Tauriel's theme doesn't pop up until the end.

All the music associated with her in DOS is spectacular

It's one of BOFA's many crimes that none of it was expanded up on there

The first half does have the Kili+Tauriel theme, that is also hers in a way.

Just 2 days ago I was almost sure I would need to think hard about possibly getting a possible Hobbit CR collection but damn, just this much mentioning of themes has reignited the memories and passion, these have a trove of great material.

And in my head from memories I just noticed the segment in the full, unreleased Forest River following the heroic Thorin Theme is reprised in Sons of Dúrin after... the heroic Thorin's Theme.

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

just noticed the segment in the full, unreleased Forest River following the heroic Thorin Theme is reprised in Sons of Dúrin

I think I know what you're talking about. I believe its a kind of action variation of the Erebor theme.

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

The first half does have the Kili+Tauriel theme, that is also hers in a way.

Yea, it's considered the opening phrase of the love theme, but eventually just got dropped in favour of the Morricone-esque second phrase.

3 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I think I know what you're talking about. I believe its a kind of action variation of the Erebor theme.

Now that you say it, yeah, I can hear it in my head. Built on its opening at least.