I Am Shark Releases 2 LP Force Awakens OST With Cool Art

Will

I Am Shark is beyond ecstatic to announce the 2xLP collector’s edition release of Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack). Music composed by the legendary John Williams and his return to the series, whose iconic sounds and themes create an entire world to themselves in the Star Wars Universe. An array of stunning artwork accompanies this record from the UK’s Dan Mumford, presented in four different collectable covers that share an inner gatefold piece!

"The expansive, dramatic passages are as full-bodied as one would hope for a film as epic as The Force Awakens, but the attention to detail within the score – and the exquisitely recorded performance – make the results a subtle and engaging listen." * The bombastic score was recorded over 12 sessions scattered in a five-month period of 2015, and is the first of the Star Wars films to feature a 90-piece free-lance orchestra. The theme for Snoke was recorded by a 24-voice men’s chorus. Special guest conductor, Gustavo Dudamel conducted the opening and end title music for the film at Williams’ request.

I Am Shark’s collector’s edition of The Force Awakens goes on sale Friday, February 3rd as an exclusive pre-order. 4 collectable covers (Rey, Poe, Phasma, Finn & Kylo) and cohesive colored vinyl pressed on 180 gram discs. You can visit the I Am Shark official website and social media platforms for more news, releases, and information. Records will be shipping around March 24th, any other items ordered with a pre-order will be held and shipped together.

Officially licensed through Disney Music Group and Lucasfilm LTD

* Soundtrack Geek

http://iamshark.limitedrun.com/

Love that they're using those gorgeous posters as the artwork!

I won't be buying this (I don't even have a record player) but it's still cool just for the art. 

They're doing 500 copies of each version, it seems. 

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Hipsters gonna hipster. 

Quite. We now have CD, LP and Casette. Bring on exclusive Laser Disc, Mini Disc and 8-track, VHS and Betamax versions as well.

And those LPs look awful.

3 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

The design on the records makes them look like doughnuts.

They have a rather fruity colour scheme I find.

I do collect LPs (though I really can't think of me as a hipster...) and got a couple of vinyl releases of The Force Awakens... but this is just too much for me. One needs to stop at some point. And after all, I'm first and foremost a music collector, not a collector of objects that contain music.

5 hours ago, Incanus said:

Quite. We now have CD, LP and Casette. Bring on exclusive Laser Disc, Mini Disc and 8-track, VHS and Betamax versions as well.

And those LPs look awful.

We already had TFA on LP, because I own it.  A normal vinyl copy with just one cover (hate the collectible covers that only exist to bait completists).  It did have those cool holograms of the Falcon and a TIE fighter.

• 2 months later...

Pointless.  It's not even new artwork.

Interesting to note that The Force Awakens was recorded over twelve sessions.  Fewer than I expected.  Based on the union stipulated maximum of fifteen minutes of music recorded per session, the complete score cannot be longer than 180 minutes.

On 4/20/2017 at 3:52 AM, Jim Ware said:

Based on the union stipulated maximum of fifteen minutes of music recorded per session, the complete score cannot be longer than 180 minutes.

Indeed, you are correct!

From the same article where the 12 sessions number came from:

http://variety.com/2015/music/awards/oscar-icons-williams-morricone-and-horner-loom-large-in-score-race-1201657637/

His 90-piece orchestra recorded 175 minutes of music, he says, although nearly an hour of that was discarded, modified or rerecorded as Abrams re-edited the film. Snoke’s theme was recorded by a 24-voice men’s chorus.