The Super Mario Bros. Movie (2023) - film and score (Brian Tyler)

Jay

Lol Christian rules

the 2023 endeavor conjured mediocre critical reviews but amassed huge box office returns, proving again that nostalgia sells, even if propelled by idiocy.

Is Clemmenson not struggling a bit here by putting this under his negatives?

bounces between countless, needle-dropped references to the game's music

He'd complain if Tyler did an entirely original score and didn't reference the games at all, or if he didn't compose any original material himself, so Tyler does a hybrid and.... he's still unhappy? I hate critics.

Does sound like a film where critics are up against audiences a bit. Looks like a fun movie to me.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I watched this movie yesterday, mainly because the score was praised. I recognized all the classic themes; the composer did a good job of hinting at them here and there.

And, well, I got caught in a sort of nostalgia because I liked it. It was fun, and I anticipated many of the 'super powers' effects, as I've played several of the video games where Mario is involved (since the original Donkey Kong game!).

I'd rate it 9/10 for Nostalgia!

I have nearly 0 nostalgia for Mario. For me it's Donkey Kong / Donkey Kong Jr. / Mario Bros. and then ---> Playing Mario Kart with my children.

And I thought this was a hoot.

• 2 months later...

Nintendo & Illumination announced a sequel to this over the weekend, and it already has a release date of April 3rd 2026

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/new-animated-super-mario-bros-world-movie-nintendo-illumination-release-date-1235936648/