Clone Army Theme from Star Wars: Episode II?

TheUlyssesian

But the topic of this thread, the particular melody tracked into RotS, does not recur even within the same track, only played once.

24 minutes ago, Datameister said:

it does recur - just not outside one particular cue.

At the end of the day, that's the sort of thing that makes the definition of leitmotif more fluid than we usually like to pretend it is. How far do two statements really need to be from each other to be considered separate? There's really no definitive answer, and so there's always going to be a bit of variation in how people count them.

To me the purposeful use of a recurring thematic idea to represent of a specific element of the drama is pretty much the definition of a leitmotif. Thus something like the arena march from Episode II is not a leitmotif in my view as it is just scene specific scoring for the fight that is punctuated with actual leitmotifs while the Panama Hat or the Cross of Coronado are specifically leitmotivic in TLC.

49 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

At the end of the day, that's the sort of thing that makes the definition of leitmotif more fluid than we usually like to pretend it is. How far do two statements really need to be from each other to be considered separate? There's really no definitive answer, and so there's always going to be a bit of variation in how people count them.

Interestingly we have a good example of a theme from Episode II that appears in just one sequence and is leitmotific and it is Zam's theme in the Coruscant chase, the rhythmic ostinato figure used throughout the sequence which Williams himself in an interview identifies as a theme for the character. And naturally this music drops from the picture when she dies so there is no chance to reprise it anywhere. Does it then make it less of a leitmotif then if the composer identified it as such?

13 minutes ago, Incanus said:

To me the purposeful use of a recurring thematic idea to represent of a specific element of the drama is pretty much the definition of a leitmotif. Thus something like the arena march from Episode II is not a leitmotif in my view as it is just scene specific scoring for the fight that is punctuated with actual leitmotifs while the Panama Hat or the Cross of Coronado are specifically leitmotivic in TLC.

I understand your point, and I agree. 

14 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Zam's theme in the Coruscant chase, the rhythmic ostinato figure used throughout the sequence which Williams himself in an interview identifies as a theme for the character. 

Have a link or anything? 

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

Interestingly we have a good example of a theme from Episode II that appears in just one sequence and is leitmotific and it is Zam's theme in the Coruscant chase, the rhythmic ostinato figure used throughout the sequence which Williams himself in an interview identifies as a theme for the character.

If I recall the interview in question, Williams identifies the music for the chase (rather than for Zam herself) as a standout piece of the score, rather than as anything leitmotivic.

32 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

If I recall the interview in question, Williams identifies the music for the chase (rather than for Zam herself) as a standout piece of the score, rather than as anything leitmotivic.

The comment from Williams is from a 2002 radio interview called John Williams Jedi Maestro with excerpts from Lucas and Williams on the new score where the composer actually comments on the new themes he has written for the film and specifically mentions material for Zam the assassin. 

1 minute ago, Incanus said:

The comment from Williams is from a 2002 radio interview called John Williams Jedi Maestro with excerpts from Lucas and Williams on the new score where the composer actually comments on the new themes he has written for the film and specifically mentions material for Zam the assassin. 

Is there a place I can find this interview? 

Just now, Chen G. said:

Oh, I would love to hear that!

Me too

6 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Oh, I would love to hear that!

What other themes did he mention?

Funnily he talks only about Across the Stars and briefly mentions the Zam material. It is little strange how he is about to talk more after this brief comment but then just says, searching for words, "all manner of things that are introduced with Episode II". :P 

And sadly I do not know if this interview is available anywhere online. Although a lot of it is pretty familiar territory with the classic "we now have this glossary of themes which I love expanding" stuff JW says in all subsequent SW interviews.

47 minutes ago, Incanus said:

And sadly I do not know if this interview is available anywhere online. Although a lot of it is pretty familiar territory with the classic "we now have this glossary of themes which I love expanding" stuff JW says in all subsequent SW interviews.

Aw, sounded promising. Episode II is one of my favorite Star Wars scores, and I eat up every morsel that I can get. I love that that one documentary focused so heavily on the Coruscant Chase.

I listened to the Episode II OST while getting in a cardeo workout at the Jewish Community Center and then this march came on. I thought of how it was out of sync with the march in Episode III and then realized I wasn't moving in sync with the march as I exercised. The ending of that track AKA Padme Falls was much better suited to my workout.

For some reason, I almost started to forget how good this was. But then when hearing it again, I'm reminded that it's really worth listening to.

Probably some of the best music from AotC. Shame it didn't get used properly in that film. It probably would've worked wonders somewhere in there.

It's a bit like "The Hunt" from The Lost World in that respect. Both brilliant pieces of music that went unused for reasons beyond my comprehension.

• 4 years later...