Will Game Of Thrones end in a satisfying way?

Will Game Of Thrones end in a satisfying way?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Will Game Of Thrones end in a satisfying way?

• No, the damage has been done. And it can't be fixed just 2 eps.
    • Still 2 eps to go, and I think the finale will tie up all the loose ends and be emotionally very satisfying.
    • The finale will end things on a high, without really "salvaging" a show that has been going downhill for a while now.
    • Other (specify)

I the last 2 weeks the wool has been lifted from people (the internet's) eyes and common opinion now seems to be that GOT has jumped the shark and that its possibly has been shit for quite a while now.

The most popular memes of Episode 3 of season 8 were about how the episode was so dark viewers couldn't see anything.

The most popular memes of ep 4 were free advertising for Starbucks.

So with 2 episodes still to go, is all hope lost? Will this show, which was once the very pinnacle of the Golden Age Of TV be remembered as a joke? Or can the final two eps salvage anything?

I sat down with 4 people from my walking group in the pub yesterday, and of the five of us, only one person had even seen the show, and only the first two seasons.

It does therefore give me a bit of comfort to know that a show that the world was preaching was to me was 'perfect', maybe, just maybe.... wasn't.

I lost my faith with the previous series.. Season 6 was the last consistently enjoyable one and even that already started to show certain "convenient" Hollywood tropes. For all its large budgets and epic scope the show was always at its best with characters talking in rooms. Political scheming, careful world building and complex characterisation --- those things actually made it seem like a real place.

It's not really horrible to watch, even now. That would have been an overstatement. It's "fine". It's just not what it used to be.

Karol

My vote is, "it's been the biggest entertainment disappointment since Indy IV but I'll watch it through out of a sort of morbid curiosity and because the next episode will probably at least still have a bit of spectacle value, even if it's the empty kind."

Just now, Stefancos said:

I... don't really give a damn who ends up on the Iron Throne now through.

I don't... want... anymore.

That's the problem - this whole thing began as a jostling bid for the Iron Throne, but all the shit that's happened since and the White Walkers arrival, and quick disposal makes it seem so lame that we have to come back to more backstabbing and political drama when it all seems so quaint in comparison to the fantastical elements that were starting to build in the latter seasons. Who cares about King's Landing? If they can make a King in the North, why can't they just abandon the Iron Throne and establish a new kingdom founded on solidarity against a common enem... oh shit, I guess the rest of the world didn't even know there were White Walkers that came close to wiping out all of humanity...

Yeah, I'm frustrated with this show.

6 minutes ago, Arpy said:

White Walkers that came close to wiping out all of humanity

They did? I thought they were a minor nuisance for a few hours, after slowly wiping out a group of people literally nobody South of the Wall cared about.

Just now, Holko said:

They did? I thought they were a minor nuisance for a few hours, after slowly wiping out a group of people literally nobody South of the Wall cared about.

Like shadows in the dark.

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

For all the huge importance they suddenly placed on the battle, it wasn't the End Of All Things.

I find it perfectly acceptable that a concluding episode or season are just not going to be as good as what came before them. Happens with most TV series.

I don't think its quite so bad as to significantly taint the rest of the series. That's just internet sensationalism.

Hence the internet sensationalism remark.

And I seem to recall audiences starting to grumble during the previous season, too.

It was a fine show last season, and its still just fine. Yes, earlier seasons were much better, but come on.

12 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I find it perfectly acceptable that a concluding episode or season are just not going to be as good as what came before them. Happens with most TV series.

I don't think its quite so bad as to significantly taint the rest of the series. That's just internet sensationalism.

It has to be the best thing or the worst thing ever. There’s no middle ground.

Demonstrably, this season could've been better. I agree @Bilbo and @Chen G. that sensationalism has played a part in the backlash, but most of the criticism I've seen online, even in meme form, has been grounded in sensible arguments that seem to come from a genuine sense of disappointment. Coming to this forum to find such positive reception for GoT in the past and to see the reactions from multiple members now this season is airing is really fascinating to me. It isn't bitterness out of a failure to comprehend the show, or sensationalized over-reactions, it's a shocking evaluation of just how polarizing the show has become in the space of a few episodes.

5 minutes ago, Arpy said:

most of the criticism I've seen online, even in meme form, has been grounded in sensible arguments that seem to come from a genuine sense of disappointment.

That all fine and well. I probably agree with many of those arguments, but the internet is the world-champion at not seeing the forest for the trees.

Not every gripe, justifiable though it may be, means that the episode/season is now the worst thing everrrrr.

50 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

It was a wretched show of scum an villainy that fuelled the most primitive side of millions of humans for nearly a decade. I despised it since i have learned its premise and I am glad it ends. 

You make a good point. 

I am not a regular watcher of the show, but from what I have seen it seems like a depraved, unedifying series, and cruelly violent to the point of excess. 

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

That all fine and well. I probably agree with many of those arguments, but the internet is the world-champion at not seeing the forest for the trees.

Not every gripe, justifiable though it may be, means that the episode/season is now the worst thing everrrrr.

Personally I haven't seen complaints that it's the worst 'show', but I have for the worst 'season'. 

29 minutes ago, John said:

You make a good point. 

I am not a regular watcher of the show, but from what I have seen it seems like a depraved, unedifying series, and cruelly violent to the point of excess. 

Same, I've only enjoyed parts of the seasons but for the most part it's everything I despise about this type of fantasy. Too much death and a gritty realism that makes the fantasy elements feel out of place and awful.

1 hour ago, Fabulin said:

It was a wretched show of scum an villainy that fuelled the most primitive side of millions of humans for nearly a decade. I despised it since i have learned its premise and I am glad it ends. 

I didn’t realize Puritanism was still a thing...

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

I lost my faith with the previous series.. Season 6 was the last consistently enjoyable one and even that already started to show certain "convenient" Hollywood tropes. For all its large budgets and epic scope the show was always at its best with characters talking in rooms. Political scheming, careful world building and complex characterisation --- those things actually made it seem like a real place.

It's not really horrible to watch, even now. That would have been an overstatement. It's "fine". It's just not what it used to be.

Karol

This. 

Though in my experience, the masses are still massively in love with GoT, including all my friends. Sure, people are frustrated with certain plotting decisions, but as a whole, everyone continues to love indulging in the phenomenon that is this show. I don't think the recent decline in quality will affect GoT's lasting legacy.

Season 4 was the show at its peak. Season 6 is when the fatigue hit me. Season 7 is when I really wanted to jump ship. Season 8 is where I've come to terms with what the show is now, and just want to make it to the end. And even with the shoddier seasons, there were still occasional flashes of brilliance that convinced you to stay on board.

18 hours ago, Arpy said:

Same, I've only enjoyed parts of the seasons but for the most part it's everything I despise about this type of fantasy. Too much death and a gritty realism that makes the fantasy elements feel out of place and awful.

It's taking "gritty realism" to a point where its not longer realistic, and the sex, gore and generally immoral and cynical approach start acting as a buffer rather than a conduit between the story and the audience.

Still fun, though.

I am expecting to be disappointed by the final 2 episodes, but hope to be pleasantly surprised.