3155 replies to this topic

#1 rpvee

rpvee

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:02 PM

So we all have those little questions sometimes that you want the answer to, but you don't think they need a whole thread. Well, this is the thread for those questions!

And to start: What should I get: The A New Hope soundtrack from 1997, or 2004? The tracklists are the same, but the '04 says it's remastered... which is better, though?

#2 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17679 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:03 PM

I believe that there is no difference in actual music, and I would recommend the 1997 version just for the superior liner notes. But I'd wait until somebody who actually knows what they're talking about tells you, because I could be wrong.
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#3 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:04 PM

1997, for liner notes. The 2004 are remastered in DirectSoundDigital or some such, but from what I understand you're unlikely to tell the difference unless your stereo cost $100000.
Repeat the JWFan pledge after me: 'I hereby recognise John Towner Williams' place in the world as the great composer there has ever been, and I therefore renounce the works of Rozsa, Korngold, Herrmann, Horner, Kamen, Giacchino (unless the prophecy is fulfilled and he becomes the heir to JTW) and Goldsmith, especially Goldsmith. I understand that if I ever refer to Jurassic Park as anything less than "a masterpiece sixty-five million years in the making" I will be resigned to living out my days at the Zimmershrine.'

#4 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29773 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:08 PM

That's a nice warm pic of Jerry in your AV Charlie.

#5 rpvee

rpvee

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:09 PM

OK, spin-off question: What are liner notes?

#6 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17679 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:18 PM

Notes about the score. Usually written by either the composer, the director, or someone hired to beef up the release. In the 1997 version, there's a thick booklet that analyzes the entire score.

THe 2004 version has...nothing in terms of liner notes.
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#7 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29773 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:21 PM

I was initially gonna mock the purpose of this thread, but non-constructive cynicism aside, I think its a pretty good idea.

#8 rpvee

rpvee

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:22 PM

Well, I'm at an FYE, and they have the '97 edition used for $10, and the '04 one for $20-something. I think the choice is clear! It won't match my '04 ROTJ, but it's the music that counts.

#9 Datameister

Datameister

Stab me with socks in Chicago

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10264 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:24 PM

'97, easily. Classier packaging, great liner notes, and the sound quality is the same, by all accounts. Great release of a great score.

#10 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:26 PM

That's a nice warm pic of Jerry in your AV Charlie.

He kind of looks like my dad in that pic, albeit with less hair.

I think this is a good idea for a thread as well.
Repeat the JWFan pledge after me: 'I hereby recognise John Towner Williams' place in the world as the great composer there has ever been, and I therefore renounce the works of Rozsa, Korngold, Herrmann, Horner, Kamen, Giacchino (unless the prophecy is fulfilled and he becomes the heir to JTW) and Goldsmith, especially Goldsmith. I understand that if I ever refer to Jurassic Park as anything less than "a masterpiece sixty-five million years in the making" I will be resigned to living out my days at the Zimmershrine.'

#11 rpvee

rpvee

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:32 PM

I'm glad you like the thread... I can't take credit for the idea, though, there's a thread like this on a Shakira forum I belong to, and I figured I'd bring it here... and I had a question. lol

#12 Nick Parker

Nick Parker

Quickest Thread-Killer in the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6322 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:34 PM

Quick question: who is Shakira?
"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future."

-Oscar Wilde

#13 pixie_twinkle

pixie_twinkle

Time Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5044 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:44 PM

I think she's one of the multitude of teenie so-called celebrities who don't really have any talent, but is cute and so she appears on all the useless magazine covers and the E channel weekly roundups. I'm embarassed I actually know that much about her.
"Will there ever be a boy born who can swim faster than a shark?"

#14 rpvee

rpvee

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:46 PM

Quick question: who is Shakira?

WHAT?!?! World-famous superstar! 'Hips Don't Lie', 'Whenever, Wherever'...

Please go find a song called "Ojos Así". Even if you can't understand it.

The ANH CD's case is noticably scratched... would that matter to you guys?

#15 Nick Parker

Nick Parker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6322 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:48 PM

Oh okay.

Regarding the case: As long as the Disk is found to be in good condition, I would not care if the case was chewed by a Great Dane.
"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future."

-Oscar Wilde

#16 rpvee

rpvee

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:51 PM

I think she's one of the multitude of teenie so-called celebrities who don't really have any talent, but is cute and so she appears on all the useless magazine covers and the E channel weekly roundups. I'm embarassed I actually know that much about her.

No... she isn't like that at all. She is talented, she has an entire charity foundation that she founded when she was 18! Just watch her MTV Unplugged concert. That'll show you she's not like other celebs.

#17 Hitch

Hitch

See it from the beginning.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12135 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:57 PM

The 1997 editions definitely.
Posted Image

#18 Datameister

Datameister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10264 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:00 PM

The ANH CD's case is noticably scratched... would that matter to you guys?

Obviously, it's more fun to have one without the scratches, but that happens to most of my jewel cases eventually, anyway. It's really up to you. If the disc and liner notes are in good condition, if the price is good, and if there's no better option, I personally would go for it.

#19 rpvee

rpvee

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:17 PM

Well, I got. The case's condition is terrible... the upper connector of the two pieces of it is broken, so one half kind of hangs of the other.

The CDs themselves look pretty good, but I have yet to listen to them. Hopefully their previous owner treated them better than the case.

Thanks for the help, guys!

#20 guest

Supreme Something Something

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31070 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:04 AM

Shakira:

Posted Image

#21 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Supreme Something Something

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32812 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:50 AM

Caliente, si, pero no me gusta su musica.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#22 Williamsfan301

Williamsfan301

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7673 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:55 AM

Don LaFontaine: "What's that Jessica Alba, anyways? If I was 40 years younger I'd plow that 'til next July."
"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause" - Padme Amidala

#23 Eblobulator

Eblobulator

Trekkie For Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13375 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:13 AM

Definitely get the RCA 97' versions. As stated all ready by others the packaging is a lot better and the liner notes are worth it alone.

GAC2.jpg

Kathryn Janeway: "Time travel. Since my first day on the job as a Starfleet Captain I swore I'd never let myself get caught in one of these godforsaken paradoxes - the future is the past, the past is the future, it all gives me a headache."

#24 Marian Schedenig

Marian Schedenig

Miss the Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20635 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:37 AM

Jewel cases can be replaced. And the '97 liner notes are brilliant.

#25 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17679 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:46 PM

This seems like a good thread to ask: Can anybody recommend me some good cues that feature an alto sax? I have a friend that plays it, and I want to recommend some good cues to him that he'd like, and I figure that's where I'll start. I already have a few from CMIYC. Any others that you guys can think of?

#26 Nick Parker

Nick Parker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6322 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:47 PM

Irina's Theme is pretty fun to play, in my opinion.

EDIT: Oh, I misread your question. Well, my answer still stands!

-Oscar Wilde

#27 Diego

Diego

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:55 PM

There's a track on Elfman's Serenada Schizophrana, called "Improv for Alto Sax"
Watch out now, take care, beware the thoughts that linger, winding up inside your head. The hopelessness around you in the dead of night. Beware of Sadness. It can hit you, it can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what we are here for.

#28 Nick Parker

Nick Parker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6322 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:59 PM

Oh, I forgot about that one. Yeah, that one is pretty nice, if I remember correctly.

-Oscar Wilde

#29 rpvee

rpvee

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:36 PM

New quick question: I got the CD, and although the booklet says that the Binary Sunset alternate is 2:19 seconds long, iTunes says that it's 17:00. I thought that it was just silence, because when I played the CD itself, there was just long silence after the music ended. I fast-fowarded a bit in iTunes, and five minutes into the track, there seems to be an alternate cue of the opening crawl... or something... but it's long. Is this an easter egg or something?

EDIT: Nevermind, the booklet (very nice booklet indeed!) explains it. I don't get the point of the silence, though, they could've just made a new track.

#30 Nick Parker

Nick Parker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6322 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:54 PM

Quick question: what orchestra performed Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom under John Williams' baton?

-Oscar Wilde

#31 Red

Red

Youngster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:10 AM

Hollywood Orchestra I believe.
Do you like John Williams? His early work was a little too jazzy for my taste, but when Jaws came out in '75 I really think he came into his own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and an air of consummate professionalism that really gives the pieces a big boost. He's been compared to Jerry Goldsmith but I think John has a far more leitmotif-driven style of composing. In '82 John composed this, E.T., his most accomplished album to date. I think his undisputed masterpiece is "The Magic of Halloween", a theme so catchy most people don't listen to what it means. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of childhood and the importance of friendship, it's also a personal statement about the man himself. Hey Paul!
- Patrick Bateman on the Maestro

John Takis' Complete Hook Analysis

#32 Nick Parker

Nick Parker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6322 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:12 AM

Yes, that is what I believed as well. Thank you.

-Oscar Wilde

#33 Henry Buck

Henry Buck

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9283 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:13 AM

New quick question: I got the CD, and although the booklet says that the Binary Sunset alternate is 2:19 seconds long, iTunes says that it's 17:00. I thought that it was just silence, because when I played the CD itself, there was just long silence after the music ended. I fast-fowarded a bit in iTunes, and five minutes into the track, there seems to be an alternate cue of the opening crawl... or something... but it's long. Is this an easter egg or something?

EDIT: Nevermind, the booklet (very nice booklet indeed!) explains it. I don't get the point of the silence, though, they could've just made a new track.

Okay - it's my theory that Mike Mattessino and the restoration team were very restricted in their track sequencing and titling. Ever wonder why Williams's original cue titles were rejected in favor of technically accurate in-universe names (e.g. "Jawa Sandcrawler," "Binary Sunset," "Dianoga")? Lucasfilm probably stipulated that the track lists be aesthetically pleasing to Star Wars fans. Therefore titles like "Main Title (take 17)" would have been out. Sticking this material onto the alternate "Binary Sunset" track was probably the only way to include it. I suspect this is also the reason so many alternate cues from Empire and Jedi were sandwiched into the scores proper rather than given their own tracks.

#34 Taikomochi

Taikomochi

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2211 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:17 AM

What pray tell is a bar?

Posted Image

#35 Datameister

Datameister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10264 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:25 AM

A place where one does a lot of drinking. Or, alternatively, a measure (a small grouping of beats) in music. Why do you ask?

And Henry, that very well may be the case, but it still doesn't explain why there should be more than 2 minutes of silence. Why not just have...like, thirty seconds? And for the record...I don't like most of the track titles. Some of the are fine, but I get so tired of the slashes. IMO, if you're going to include multiple cues in one track, don't bother providing a name for each one. Just use a single, concise name that captures what's going on...and if there are multiple things going on that need to be separately announced in the track title, use a dash, not a slash. The Death Star - Stormtroopers looks a lot better to me than The Death Star/Stormtroopers. And even better than both is simply The Death Star!

#36 Nick Parker

Nick Parker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6322 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:35 AM

A place where one does a lot of drinking.

Not to mention a place to watch Monday Night Football!

-Oscar Wilde

#37 E.T. and Elliot

E.T. and Elliot

SUPERVISED AND APPROVED BY JOHN WILLIAMS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6793 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:37 AM

Regarding the Special Editions and track titles, the old ones were better. One of the worst is "Brother And Sister/Father And Son/The Fleet Enters Hyperspace/Heroic Ewok". That is way too damn long. Tracks like "The Desert" got nerdy titles like "The Dune Sea Of Tatooine". Don't even get me started on the subtitles for the battle tracks.

I got a question. Is there a name for that Bespin motiv heard beginning at the end of "Carbon Freeze" when Lando argues with Vader over the fate of Leia and Chewbacca?

#38 Nick Parker

Nick Parker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6322 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:39 AM

Quick question:

I got a question. Is there a name for that Bespin motiv heard beginning at the end of "Carbon Freeze" when Lando argues with Vader over the fate of Leia and Chewbacca?

May you list Track times, if you would?

-Oscar Wilde

#39 Datameister

Datameister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10264 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:46 AM

Assuming you're talking about the stuff starting around 4:17 (RCA or Sony), that's not really a separate motif. Just a different development of the Imperial March that he wrote for the end of that cue and the start of the next one.

#40 Nick Parker

Nick Parker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6322 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:51 AM

Oh, that part! Man, I LOVE this cue. And Joe is correct, it is a "different [AND EXTREMELY AWESOME]development of the Imperial March". Oh, and since we are on the subject: how lame is the title "Carbon Freeze/Darth Vader's Trap/ Departure of Boba Fett"?

Oh, I love the statements of Yoda's Theme around 6:00 or so....

-Oscar Wilde

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users