Ladies and Gentlemen: John Williams' original Finale cue for Attack Of The Clones

Jay

... well, a synthesized version anyway!

Here's a youtube video of it integrated into the rest of the cue (with other music snipped from the OST restored as well):

(be sure to watch in 480p)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, thanks for the mock up! Interesting to hear a lot of the ideas stayed for the final version, even if the killer variation of the Imperial March did not.

that bit is more awesome than the Imperial March insert.

The mock up is good enough to have a good idea of what the orchestral version would sound like

Indy4, Lucas asked Williams to put the Imperial March instead of that

I'd always wondered what he originally wrote. It doesn't disappoint. That we're stuck with a very tacked-in rendition of the Imperial March does. Was this version actually recorded by the LSO before it was replaced?

I'd always wondered what he originally wrote. It doesn't disappoint. That we're stuck with a very tacked-in rendition of the Imperial March does. Was this version actually recorded by the LSO before it was replaced?

Yes. The original version was recorded on Sunday January 20th, and the rewritten insert was recorded 4 days later on Thursday January 24th

You can hear some of the original recording in the youtube video; it's been available since the Across The Stars music video / sound effects and dialogue version back in 2002

I really like this original version. It makes sense to me that Lucas wanted something that more overtly foreshadowed the future of the clone troopers, and I think Williams' new arrangement of the Imperial March is actually very well done, but it's a great pleasure to hear the original at long last. Fingers crossed for getting the real thing on CD someday...we already knew it was definitely recorded that way, because a small snippet was heard in the "Across the Stars" single/music video. [EDIT: I see I've been beaten to the punch. :P]

Thanks for posting this for everyone's enjoyment, Jay! :D

I've never really liked the Imperial March being in that, at least in the film. It's inappropriate.

Awesome post. Stuff like this makes me sad. Had Lucas just let Williams write music, we would have had 3 masterpieces. I really think he sucked the fun out of these films for him with his dictating. Really a shame.

I'm not sure I agree with that statement. Obviously, the fact that Lucas totally re-edited everything after the scoring really screwed up the music editorially, and then there's the fact that the overuse of CG forced them to track music into some scenes...but having to write a few inserts is VERY common, and AOTC has relatively few.

Besides, without inserts and revised cues, we never would have gotten "Binary Sunset." ;)

Jason, I thank you for this. I was never aware that such a piece of music existed, so it's great to hear the finale as it was originally intended. I understand why GL wanted the Imperial March, but this makes the penultimate scene so much more epic, and so much more sad. It seems to convey Senator Organa's expression of inevtibility, and hopelessness at the whole tragic situaton, even marking the hitting of his fist on a wall.

This is one alteration to "EP.II", that I would welcome.

P.s., I far prefer the alternate "Binary Sunset" to what was heard in the film, but I understand why it was changed.

Great find, thanks!

Can't play the video though, Sony has blocked it or something. Can anyone reupload?

Still plays fine for me; Could be cause you're not in the US

Hmmm...I guess this is one of those times that a great unreleased cue is only great because it is unreleased.

It's possibly the actual studio recording could change your mind

Hmmm...I guess this is one of those times that a great unreleased cue is only great because it is unreleased.

It's possibly the actual studio recording could change your mind

Possibly. But even though it's one movie to early and a very obvious thing to do, the first time I heard the Imperial March part of this track I got goosepumps.

This original version (judging only by your midi) sounds like pretty standard, direction-less post 2000 John Williams action fare.

Tis good, but nothing amazing.

Nice alternate finale but the Imperial March insert is still a mighty improvement over this. The March led to goosebumps in the cinema back then and additionally the orchestration and arrangement are better than every occurence of the Imperial March in the other films.

So good job George Lucas for making Williams exchange a good finale with an even better one.

And thank you very much Jason for posting this famous unreleased track as a mock up

Nice find, Jay! Kudos to you!

It's surely a nice and very fitting piece of music, but probably the Imperial March rewrite works better in terms of pure dramatic/emotional resonance (trying not to think the lifeless 2 hrs we just sit through, of course :)). However, I'd love to hear real LSO's brass blasting this snippet to have a more rounded idea.

Well the good news is Williams did record it and hopefully it will be included on a properly produced version of AOTC.

That being said and even though I don't agree with using it in the prequels, The Imperial March works better.

Count me in with the "Imperial March was a good call" crowd. I think the revision is considerably more effective - as others have noted, it can give you chills. Still, it's nice to hear the original version in some form after all these years.

And don't forget about the chorus in the real recording which is obviously not in the mock up.

The sheet music does not call for any chorus in that section, I believe that is just a myth.

And don't forget about the chorus in the real recording which is obviously not in the mock up.

yes if it sounds awesome with a synth mock up imagine the real deal

There's an unfathomable epicness to this passage. The clones aren't Storm Troopers and this is the Pre-OT Empire...makes sense not to use the Imperial March.

but lets not kid ourselves, had this been released on the c.d. and the Imperial March in the film, we would be wanting the Imperial March insert like a holy grail

Thank you very much for this post. Like the rest of us, I've been curious about this for a long time. However, I prefer the Imperial March version. It brought a better sense of impending (and inevitable) doom and made this scene my favorite of the movie.

but lets not kid ourselves, had this been released on the c.d. and the Imperial March in the film, we would be wanting the Imperial March insert like a holy grail

That's probably true lol

Outside of a few people on this board I doubt most members in the film score community really cared an alternate existed or was replaced by the Imperial March.

If Williams' original version been retained I would guess most people would be thankful the Imperial March wasn't used. I'm sure they would like to hear it but much like this original version, I doubt they would be obsessed.

The sheet music does not call for any chorus in that section, I believe that is just a myth.

Ok i was wrong, the chorus singer only said that he participated in the finale as a solo tenor

See the article on the mainpage in 2002: http://www.jwfan.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22

Yea, there's definitely choir in the cue - the female soprano and the low men's for the emperor's theme - but the rejected end section was never meant to have any.

It reminds me a bit of the fanfare when the land on Coruscant in TPM

Well if you listen to the 3 last notes of the original finale in the AotC music video, it's much tighter without the stretched out decending horn flourish (assuming there is no music missing between this and Across the Stars). So the real recording would sound a lot different

Yea, there's definitely choir in the cue - the female soprano and the low men's for the emperor's theme - but the rejected end section was never meant to have any.

The soprano has a lovely voice. Do you know her name?

I don't know, and I don't think it was listed in the OST booklet either

I always thought this is a boy soprano... But it might be just me.

Speaking of which, I kind of hoped this vocal part would be a hint of ROTS music, where we would have a solo vocalist for the lament parts. That would be more distinctive.

Karol

The soprano has a lovely voice. Do you know her name?

I don't know, and I don't think it was listed in the OST booklet either

I always thought this is a boy soprano... But it might be just me.

Speaking of which, I kind of hoped this vocal part would be a hint of ROTS music, where we would have a solo vocalist for the lament parts. That would be more distinctive.

Karol

I never thought of "her" as a "him", Croc, but, listening to it again...you could well be right.

Raining gold is impossible. Somebody shady leaking the recording sessions is :D

Just look at the leaked Terminator Salvation, Avatar, HP1, etc scores.

I'm not sure that's what he meant...

Karol

Considering it's straight after my message and seems to counterpoint mine, I'm sure that's exactly what he meant. Let's not get into an argument here, let's just agree to disagree, since we can't speak for Stefan.

Well if you listen to the 3 last notes of the original finale in the AotC music video, it's much tighter without the stretched out decending horn flourish (assuming there is no music missing between this and Across the Stars). So the real recording would sound a lot different

The music video goesn't contain "the last 3 notes" of the unused section - its an edited mixed of notes from the whole piece. If you listen carefully to the youtube video, all 3 of those notes are accounted for.

This original version (judging only by your midi) sounds like pretty standard, direction-less post 2000 John Williams action fare.

Tis good, but nothing amazing.

Agree 100%.

Not even a real recording could make me prefer this typical Williams cue over that new recording of the Imperial March.

The music video goesn't contain "the last 3 notes" of the unused section - its an edited mixed of notes from the whole piece. If you listen carefully to the youtube video, all 3 of those notes are accounted for.

I thought it was just the ending leading into ATS with no edits because they "forgot" to edit it out

Knowing Williams and Lucas they might have wanted to have all trace of this original version not to seem to exist