678 replies to this topic

#1 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34823 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

If you've received your copy, you should discuss it in this thread, as the original thread is going to be cluttered for a while with "Mine shipped!", "Mine arrived!", "Still waiting for my copy to arrive", "When do you guys think it will sell out?", "Who has the cheapest international shipping?", "Wow, we gotta wait 2 weeks for more stock? What a gip!" type posts.

This thread will be for actual discussion of the release only.

I'll start:

Banning Back Home film version is sooooooo cool!

gI98WBK.jpg

#2 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

Well, you and jwb - go to town!

For now. :)

#3 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20787 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

How is the CD itself? Is it nice and round? How shiny is the data side? Will the disc fit into my current CD player, or should I upgrade?

#4 Joe Brausam

Joe Brausam

A horn player.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3243 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:54 PM

The film version of Banning Back Home is actually much more enjoyable than the album version, no lie there. I actually find it to be bearable now.

#5 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9686 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

Is the OST version of Banning Back Home a previous alternate or was it done for the OST?

#6 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • 34823 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:38 PM

Is the OST version of Banning Back Home a previous alternate or was it done for the OST?

Believe it or not, no one seems to know!

gI98WBK.jpg

#7 Ro Sajooc

Ro Sajooc

Utinni!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1283 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:39 PM

I think It was done for the OST.
"You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it."

- Garth (aka Fedora)

#8 airmanjerm

airmanjerm

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

It was made as background music for The Weather Channel! Lol

#9 Joe Brausam

Joe Brausam

A horn player.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3243 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

Ha! Exactly!

#10 airmanjerm

airmanjerm

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

Ha! Exactly!

As silly as that sounds, years ago before shows like "Storm Chasers" came along, you'd turn to The Weather Channel and there would just be a blue screen showing the Weather forecast. It would also have some new age jazz or something similar playing, and that "Banning Back Home" album track would have fit right into all that.

"Your local forecast. Only on The Weather Channel!"

#11 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20787 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:08 PM

Hey, I would subscribe to TWC just to hear John Williams on the 8's.

#12 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9686 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:38 PM

I find it interesting that LLL has used the "other" version of Banning Back Home in the main score and has put the film version on the bonus tracks list. If this is the one that JW happens to prefer for the CD maybe it was done for the album in fact.

#13 jwb

jwb

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:01 AM

Posted Image

#14 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8259 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:03 AM

You shall be mine soon, preciousss.... :o
That looks awesome! thanks for sharing.

#15 jwb

jwb

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:41 AM

Listening to it now...

My thoughts will be totally random.

Looks like a percussionist got a little excited 2 seconds in Prologue Alternate. There's a sound that shouldn't be there. I enjoy this version very much. More magical than the in your face actiony original.

Wendy Tells Peter the Truth reveals quite a few background noises that, musicians moving around, banging against stuff. Love the choral.

#16 Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Deserved the Best Picture win

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1222 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:17 AM

To anybody who's heard the tracks in question - how would you rate the second two Ultimate War pieces? Sound quality, obvious edits, volume fluctuations, etc.?
Posted Image

#17 jwb

jwb

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:41 AM

To anybody who's heard the tracks in question - how would you rate the second two Ultimate War pieces? Sound quality, obvious edits, volume fluctuations, etc.?

The second Ultimate War suffers the most. You have to be really nit picking to be bothered by it.

The first and third has some iffy edits that are noticable.

#18 Eblobulator

Eblobulator

Trekkie For Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13308 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:49 AM

With the unreleased Ultimate War bits being from the music only stems from the film it definitely won't have the clarity the rest of the score would have. It's a bit disappointing that they couldn't locate the original elements for those pieces. Oh well better than not having them at all.

GAC2.jpg

Kathryn Janeway: "Time travel. Since my first day on the job as a Starfleet Captain I swore I'd never let myself get caught in one of these godforsaken paradoxes - the future is the past, the past is the future, it all gives me a headache."

#19 Miles Prower

Miles Prower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1222 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:51 AM

The second Ultimate War suffers the most. You have to be really nit picking to be bothered by it.

The first and third has some iffy edits that are noticable.

Awesome, thank you. If it's listenable, and nothing else could be done, I can't complain. :)
Posted Image

#20 jwb

jwb

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:54 AM

I hope Jason doesn't take this down. Its under 30seconds and he hosts samples on the site anyway.

http://www.peeje.com...sample.mp3.html

Here is part of an edit, I believe from Ultimate War 1. It happens at the strings 0:12-0:13. Just doesn't sound right.

#21 Miles Prower

Miles Prower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1222 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:00 AM

Not gonna lie, I can't really hear it.

Watch, when I get the CD and I'm listening to it, I'll hear what you're pointing out... and then it'll be a moment-ruining distraction from then on. :D (I kid, I kid... it sounds fine, really).
Posted Image

#22 jwb

jwb

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:01 AM

I could be totally wrong, of course. Everyone's ear is different.

#23 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • 34823 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:04 AM

I hope Jason doesn't take this down. Its under 30seconds and he hosts samples on the site anyway.

http://www.peeje.com...sample.mp3.html

Here is part of an edit, I believe from Ultimate War 1. It happens at the strings 0:12-0:13. Just doesn't sound right.

Samples 30 seconds or less are fine

Yea I hear something weird in the strings there

gI98WBK.jpg

#24 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9686 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:12 AM

If there's an edit what could be edited? Maybe an unreleases bit that would only exist in the film stems but was microedited in the film and thus we don't have it?

Hmm. I think I'm drunk right now.

#25 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • 34823 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:16 AM

Yea, he meant the film itself was edited there, and therefore that edit would be carried over to the CD

gI98WBK.jpg

#26 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9686 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:18 AM

Damn you Spielberg!

#27 king mark

king mark

Supreme Priestmaster of JWfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26264 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:18 AM

never mind

#28 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • 34823 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:19 AM

What?

gI98WBK.jpg

#29 Miles Prower

Miles Prower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1222 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:05 AM

Now that I'm using earbuds, sounds like it could be a volume dip that couldn't be entirely corrected?
Posted Image

#30 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • 34823 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:08 AM

jwb any comments on the liner notes and general artwork and photos in the booklet?

gI98WBK.jpg

#31 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:00 AM

Anybody find it weird that the film version of BBH is a bonus track, and an alternate version/OS version is the third track on the album proper?

Well, no big deal, I guess, but a bit strange...

#32 Incanus

Incanus

The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17741 posts
  • Location:Finland the fierce land of polar bears and penguins

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:02 AM

Anybody find it weird that the film version of BBH is a bonus track, and an alternate version/OS version is the third track on the album proper?

I guess it is the result of Williams' input. He retained many album edits in the score proper but LLL managed to slip some film versions in there like the Arrival of Tink and Flight to Neverland.

Ars superior est vita hominum.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#33 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

A Very Respectable Messenger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16525 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:42 AM

I guess it is the result of Williams' input. He retained many album edits in the score proper but LLL managed to slip some film versions in there like the Arrival of Tink and Flight to Neverland.

Yeah, I'm sure the folks at LLL were like: "Hey, Johnny, look behind you, a three-headed monkey!", and when Williams turned his head to look, they quickly inserted the film versions on the disc.

PrincessLeia_zps735e1986.png

#34 Incanus

Incanus

The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17741 posts
  • Location:Finland the fierce land of polar bears and penguins

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:46 AM

Yeah, I'm sure the folks at LLL were like: "Hey, Johnny, look behind you, a three-headed monkey!", and when Williams turned his head to look, they quickly inserted the film versions on the disc.

That's how I imagine the scenario. Exactly like that. Williams is notoriously afraid of three-headed monkeys. Some fan you are for not knowing that.

Ars superior est vita hominum.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#35 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

Hmmmm, possible, yes. But somehow I doubt that.

Remember, JW had final approval. So if there was something JW didn't like, he sure would have said something! I don't think he wouldn't care whether a piece he didn't want to be included is listed in the album proper or as a bonus track...

#36 TownerFan

TownerFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3817 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

Sorry if the question has been already anwsered on the other thread (I didn't keep up like I wanted in the last 2 days because of job obligations!):

Does the LLL set present the "Prologue" at correct speed? The tracklist seems to indicate it still plays at the wrong speed/pitch.

#37 publicist

publicist

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5617 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

The sample sounds iffy. It's OK for what it is (a film stem) but i'm not overly happy.
You wouldn't see a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord, singing "Subtle Plans Are Here Again."

#38 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

Actually that was my feeling too!

But I am sure they did the best they could with what they had... and this release is tons better than the Epic release, anyway.

#39 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • 34823 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

Sorry if the question has been already anwsered on the other thread (I didn't keep up like I wanted in the last 2 days because of job obligations!):

Does the LLL set present the "Prologue" at correct speed? The tracklist seems to indicate it still plays at the wrong speed/pitch.

Prologue is still the wrong speed like the OST. Prologue (Alternate) is the correct speed as recorded.

The sample sounds iffy. It's OK for what it is (a film stem) but i'm not overly happy.

Hey only the second half of the Ultimate War (well, and maybe the End Credits, and maybe the revised ending of Flight To Neverland) are from the film stems.... the rest are from the real recording sessions and sound utterly glorious!

gI98WBK.jpg

#40 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

So those who have it already, which are your Top 3 tracks that's new or contains new material? The three UW tracks?

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users