1297 replies to this topic

#521 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70547 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:51 PM

The way Spielberg pre-visualises his movies nowadays makes it seem sometimes that he puts all his creativity there and the actual filming is just a necessary evil.

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#522 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17673 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

I often wonder if it's a good thing that he shoots so fast.

Yeah, we all know how Raiders of the Lost Ark turned out!
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#523 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

A Very Respectable Messenger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17190 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:06 PM

I often wonder if it's a good thing that he shoots so fast.

Yeah, we all know how Raiders of the Lost Ark turned out!

Yeah, RoTLA was shot pretty fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzcOCyHDqc

PrincessLeia_zps735e1986.png

#524 Michael

Michael

Really?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2385 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:07 PM

It's his style. He's one director that can shoot fast and still have great results. Also, he can shoot fast because he has a giant team behind him.

I always wondered how Kubrick could take so much time in filming a movie and still keep a low budget. Take for example Eyes Wide Shut: It took about 3 years to film and it costed only 60 million! That's impressive.
If you start taking yourself seriously, then you’re in deep trouble! - Jerry Goldsmith

#525 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9694 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:10 PM

I think Spielberg goes int shooting with a very clear idea of what he wants and connects well with the actors.

Kubrick used to shoot gigantic amounts of footage and "created" the film later.

#526 Incanus

Incanus

The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18000 posts
  • Location:Finland the fierce land of polar bears and penguins

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:19 PM

Spielberg I think became afraid of going over time and over budget so much after Jaws, CEO3K and most definitely after 1941 that he made himself a promise not to go over time with his film shoots ever again. He usually shoots very fast, has a clear picture of what he wants but on the other hand is ready to improvise and change things if input from the actors etc. might prove to be useful to the scene. But he keeps a brisk pace always, having many many set ups a day. He has even finished shooting some of his films like Catch Me If You Can ahead of schedule, if I remember correctly. It seems to have become a point of honor to him.

Ars superior est vita hominum.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#527 Matt C

Matt C

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2764 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:06 PM

Someone actually got their picture taken with Spielberg in Richmond:

Posted Image

I'm very jealous. This is the first time I've ever seen Spielberg posing for pictures with bystanders, most of the time he's very discreet and private.

#528 Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker

This is an anatomically correct Bunny of Doom.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20443 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:12 PM

Steven Spielberg: Master of Disguise....Come on Steve! The cap gives you away...

I mean if i saw spielberg without a cap i would think i had just seen on the street a bearded middle aged man that resembpled SS.

I hope Episode III is Called 'Revenge of the Sith'

#529 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

A Very Respectable Messenger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17190 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:38 PM

Someone actually got their picture taken with Spielberg in Richmond:

Posted Image

I'm very jealous. This is the first time I've ever seen Spielberg posing for pictures with bystanders, most of the time he's very discreet and private.

That's not Steven Spielberg! That's a look-alike! Thats... That's Bob Hoskins!

PrincessLeia_zps735e1986.png

#530 mrbellamy

mrbellamy

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1672 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:46 PM

Behind-the-scenes pic of DDL in full Lincoln garb: http://thefilmstage....incoln_full.jpg

#531 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • 35642 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:48 PM

Looks awesome!

That pic was blocked at my work so here's an imageshack version: http://img842.images...ldaylewisli.jpg

0N4P3tb.jpg

#532 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18000 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:12 PM

Looks awesome indeed!

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#533 Alexander

Alexander

Air conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:14 PM

Fantastic!

#534 Romão

Romão

Benfiquista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9632 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:08 AM

According to this post on FSM (http://filmscoremont...mID=1&archive=0), Lincoln will be recorded by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra
The Keyboard is mightier than the sword

#535 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17673 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:08 AM

That's great - the Chicago Symphony is supposed to have one of the best brass sections in the world. Maybe this will motivate JW to finally write a trombone concerto. ;)
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#536 TownerFan

TownerFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3828 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:05 AM

Great news. I think the CSO never recorded a film score, so this is a primer. It's known that JW has lots of love for this orchestra.

#537 Richard Penna

Richard Penna

Somewhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9523 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:00 PM

Lewis really does look like Lincoln - awesome :)

We could have another War Horse with the score - it's bang in the middle of JW's comfort zone.

:music: "The Story of Abraham Lincoln"

#538 Michael

Michael

Really?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2385 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:17 PM

That is actually quite interesting. Maybe it means that the score will sound more acoustic instead of the "Hollywood studio orchestra" we've had with the latest releases...

And I still wonder if Williams will go for his usual Americana style or try something a little more different. Lincoln's Theme will obviously be Americana, but what about the rest? Maybe it will sound like an Oliver Stone film... Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see.

It's very exciting, though :)
If you start taking yourself seriously, then you’re in deep trouble! - Jerry Goldsmith

#539 mrbellamy

mrbellamy

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1672 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:06 AM

That's great - the Chicago Symphony is supposed to have one of the best brass sections in the world. Maybe this will motivate JW to finally write a trombone concerto. ;)

JW did write his Horn Concerto for Dale Clevenger, the principal hornist of the CSO. Makes me wonder if we'll be hearing a lot of French Horn solos in this score.

#540 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 70547 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:31 PM

Id be surprised if we didnt.

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#541 Miguel Andrade

Miguel Andrade

John Williams know it all

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4558 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

Maybe this will motivate JW to finally write a trombone concerto. ;)

He kind of did, by adapting his Tuba concerto for bass trombone.
Miguel Andrade
[url="http://johnwilliams.jw-music.net/index.html"]http://johnwilliams.jw-music.net/index.html[/url]
e-mail: miguel.jw@gmail.com
----------------------
"I owe a tremendous debt of gratitute do John Williams. Without his music, Superman's powers are greatly deminished. Believe me, if you try to fly without that theme, you go nowhere... one step, two steps and... down!" -- Christopher Reeve, May 1993
"John Williams will go down as one of the greatest composers." -- Leonard Slatkin, american conductor
"Ah yes, the Olympics. The quadrennial event where composer John Williams collects a hefty royalty check from NBC."
"Music is not a luxury but a necessity" - Robert Shaw
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." -- Albert Einstein

#542 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17673 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:47 PM

Not a ton of new information here, but Katie Couric does reveal at the end that the reason Lincoln isn't coming out until December 2012 is that Spielberg doesn't want it to affect the US presidential election.

#543 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 70547 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:10 PM

Wait?

Is Lincoln running again?

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#544 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17673 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:46 PM

Well, he has to win the primary first. The Republicans have been a little fickle so far, so it's not clear.

#545 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 70547 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

What happened to Herman Cain? He was promising. His stance on foreign policy was very illuminating.

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#546 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17673 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:58 PM

He was accused of sexually assaulting a few women, his ratings shot down and he dropped out.

#547 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 70547 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:01 PM

Please Indy. No politics. ;)

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#548 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17673 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:03 PM

:lol:

#549 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17673 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:36 AM

According to Mr. Richardson, JW's personal assistant, "John has just commenced composing a major new film score, which will keep him fully occupied for the next 6 months."

#550 Mr Big

Mr Big

Professional Thread Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:52 AM

I sure hope Lincoln won't become "Amistad 2". I'm not a fan of John William's pastoral Americana but I'm guessing it won't be robust Americana like The Patriot. And I really hope it's not soft and understated Americana like Saving Private Ryan.

#551 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18000 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:30 AM

I am kind of hoping for Americana writing with a small group of instrumental soloists giving the music unique colouring. Something in the spirit of Air and Simple Gifts.

#552 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17673 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:32 AM

As long as it's different enough to be fresh, but written with the brilliance that seems to infect almost all of Williams' scores I'll be happy.

#553 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8563 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:03 AM

I personally love Amistad. The ethnic writing is fantastic and the Americana in the score is great too.

I really like Williams' Americana, especially when fleshed out for a full orchestra.

#554 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17673 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:09 AM

I love Amistad too. In fact, recently I've been realizing that after studying and analyzing Williams' works there's very few that I don't love, or at least deeply appreciate.

#555 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18000 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:15 AM

I personally love Amistad. The ethnic writing is fantastic and the Americana in the score is great too.

I really like Williams' Americana, especially when fleshed out for a full orchestra.

It is a really wonderful score that combines the familiar Americana with the African choral and percussion in a great way.

I love Amistad too. In fact, recently I've been realizing that after studying and analyzing Williams' works there's very few that I don't love, or at least deeply appreciate.

Pretty much my sentiments exactly.

#556 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8563 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:35 AM

It is a really wonderful score that combines the familiar Americana with the African choral and percussion in a great way.

I think the score is sometimes underrated. Judging from some of the comments I've read on this board, not many people like Amistad as much as his other works. But when I first heard the score, it blew me away. The African choral parts are absolutely (I love Cinque's Theme) and the Americana is breathtaking in cues like The Long Road to Justice. A great score in my opinion.

The same goes for me. This is why I love the man so much. Not many (if any) film score composers have achieved that same level of consistency. Williams always tends to offer great scores. Even his weaker efforts are miles ahead of the average scores. His come back this year with Tintin and War Horse just proves that he can obliterate his competition whenever he wants to.

#557 Augie

Augie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:29 PM

I didn't warm up to WAR HORSE, yet. Sometimes it needs time.
When I first listened to MUNICH and ANGELA'S ASHES, I didn't
enjoy them at all. With Williams' drama scores for films scheduled
during awards season, it happens quite a lot, although I usually
love and treasure every note my favorite composer writes, in some
way.

AMISTAD - as a score - was a highly interesting thing that didn't
come together as a fully rounded experience. We've got "Cinque's
Theme" which clearly foreshadows "Anakin's Theme" but stands
on its own as one of Williams' saddest compositions. Very rich.
The choir pieces are obviously modelled after Hans Zimmer's
"The Lion King" which were also the temp track (you can clearly
hear Williams channeling Zimmer, who outpassed him, popularity-
wise, in the 90s, during that time). At the same time, they have
the same class and substance as the Welsh choir material in
"Empire of the Sun" - which, in turn, was also temp tracked by
another composer (namely Morricone, The Mission). But there
are also Americana parts in there that are more on the boring
side - and so was the whole movie. I can see why it flopped.

AMISTAD was also suffering from a blundering album edit like
most of Williams' scores of the Nineties and the Noughties which
didn't do much for it as a listening experience. As a transitional,
but compromised piece it holds up well in my eyes. Just as the
last-minute replacement scores JW did at the same time, like
the beautiful, but not fully fleshed out STEPMOM, SLEEPERS
and ROSEWOOD, which were done in a hurry. In that respect,
AMISTAD is one of many.

William's real masterpiece of the late Nineties must be SEVEN
YEARS IN TIBET, though. That was a replacement score as well,
but it doesn't come across as truncated as the pieces mentioned
above.

Talking LINCOLN, I'm hoping JW comes up with an approach that's
more fresh than what he did on WAR HORSE, which - at least in my
eyes - was too much of a drawback to his early Nineties compositional
style, even with the then fashionable synth stuff that sounds akward
today. Get over it - WAR HORSE sounds like a routine job.

LINCOLN, which was shot pretty quick, will have a smaller, character-
driven scope, which always worked very well for John Williams. Also,
if the man has 6 months of time (and without 2 more score assignments
and 3 concertos to distract him), maybe we finally get another major
masterpiece. WAR HORSE wasn't. People just want it to be one.

Augie
(your guy in Mos Eisley)

Honorable Mention to Angela Morley.

Posted Image

#558 Sandor

Sandor

Member since 1999..!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3910 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

Get over it - WAR HORSE sounds like a routine job.

:lol2: Mr. Funnyman is in the house!
Posted Image

#559 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 70547 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:23 PM

I would agree that War Horse, like Tintin is not a top 10 Williams score, not even top 20.

This forum tends to go hog wild on new Williams scores.
We shall see how well they will be remembered.

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#560 Sandor

Sandor

Member since 1999..!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3910 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

I would agree that War Horse, like Tintin is not a top 10 Williams score, not even top 20.

That's not even what he said so who are you agreeing with...? :|
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Movie Talk, 2012 Films, John Williams, Steven Spielberg, Lincoln

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users