What is the best "Special Edition" project?

Sandor

Close Encounters? The Star Wars Trilogy? The Exorcist? E.T.? Apocalypse Now Redux?

Others?

To be honest; I've not been too impressed by added CGI to 70's and 80's films so it's difficult to choose. I would go with The Exorcist in the end. Probably.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ET. :P Disney's Beauty and the Beast too (since its an excellent film either way) though I actually dont know whether to like or dislike the new song. Its a fine song and visual presentation but i feel it rushes the pace a little too much since it comes straight after Something There and right before the centerpiece song. While I'm on Disney SEs, I think the new song in the Lion King was rubbish. So-so song with a horrible voice matching for Simba.

The Exorcist should not have been tampered with in the first place, so I just deny that there's another one out there and settle with the original, the true masterpiece.

There's a director cut of Dark City coming out this year, so I suppose I'll look for that one, as it is supposed to be good.

Tim

LOTR complete Recordings; nothing comes close. Maybe the Star Wars 4 CD box with the great booklet.

i think we're talking about the movies, not music.

I like the restored, theatrical edit of Superman: The Movie.

Although I haven't seen the original, Walter Murch's recut and remixed Touch of Evil apparently did a lot right than wrong; I really dig its current incarnation.

Star Trek TMP DE.

Indeed, what an amazing job. The Extended LotRs come in second just because the theatrical cuts were so good too, where the TMP DE turned a mediocre movie into a really good one.

The Exorcist - Special Edition was a travesty.....

I like:

The Aforemntioned Star Trek - The Motion Picture

Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan (I know there's only some minor changes - but they make a hell of a difference IMHO)

Superman - The Movie

The Empire Strikes Back (Yeah - I know - deal with it)

i think we're talking about the movies, not music.  

Oh, uuuh ... well, that wasn't my first thought on a film score site :)

Let me have a second thought ...

Is the SE to The Exorcist the only version available on DVD? How bad is it really?

Justin - who rented it but hasn't watched it yet.

P.S. I'd also add the Aliens and Alien3 SE's to the pile.

It does appear that the normal version is no longer being manufactured, unless one is willing to get it used, or there are a few stragglers out there on the shelf.

The newer version is the basically the author, William Peter Blatty's, version of the film that he's been complaining about since the original release. Apparently he never liked the ending, and some other aspects, and probably convinced the producers to make the alterations. Which is why it's not called a "Director's Cut". William Friedkin gave his blessing, of course, but I doubt he even cares that it ever happened. They added a couple of scenes throughout, including an new extended ending, which is utterly pointless. There's another scene that has Regan walk down the stairs on all fours...backwards, and is affectionately referred to as the "Spider-walk". It's creepy, but breaks the mood because it doesn't make any real sense. It was just thrust in there to an extra scare without any regard to its effectiveness to the whole picture. Then, another added device, are these devil-face flashes that happen in the background of some scenes. When I saw this during the re-release a few years back, I found it distracting.

If you can find the regular DVD release, please, get it. Forget "The Version You've Never Seen".

Tim

the two of you who said Superman, are going to feel the flames of hell. :)

there is a reason, that things are cut out. Its all about pacing and tempo, and everything added back into Superman demish the film, not enhance it.

Coming 2007 from Universal Studios -

The Birds - Director's Cut (which, from what I can gather from the execs at Universal, 32 mins of apparently lost footage has been found in the vaults recently and will be restored lovingly by Robert A. Harris and James C. Katz. No news as yet on what footage has been found but expect more of our kamakasi feathered friends fluttering around Bodega Bay and the confirmation of the reported sex scene between the 2 love birds).

Hitch

the two of you who said Superman, are going to feel the flames of hell.  :|

there is a reason, that things are cut out.  Its all about pacing and tempo, and everything added back into Superman demish the film, not enhance it.

WTF, Joe? I said Superman for a reason. And I'd like to know where you get off telling me I'm wrong, like you somehow know more than I do.

The only deleted scene in the extended Superman worth a damn is the extended Krypton council meeting at the beginning. All the rest is useless fluff that should've stayed out.

Well the whole Superman business should be fixed by Christmas. :|

The only deleted scene in the extended Superman worth a damn is the extended Krypton council meeting at the beginning. All the rest is useless fluff that should've stayed out.

I've only seen the original cut on TV a couple of times - how much of the council scene was "new"?

I never bought the Superman DVD, so I have not had to suffer the apparent horrific fate of seeing the extended cut. I find it strange too, because I looked at the box of the DVD the other day (almost bought it) and I don't remember seeing the words "Extended" or "Director's Cut". Is it even advertised like that or did they just add that stuff in without telling anybody? If so, that's kind of sneaky...

Tim

Well you don't see it on thhe Star Warses either... :|

- Rob, who'll get the Superman box set just to see what all the fuss about the original vs. extended cut is.

There's a director cut of Dark City coming out this year, so I suppose I'll look for that one, as it is supposed to be good.

Tim

Ooooooooh!

James - giggling excitedly. "He can tune!"

the two of you who said Superman, are going to feel the flames of hell.  ;)

there is a reason, that things are cut out.  Its all about pacing and tempo, and everything added back into Superman demish the film, not enhance it.

WTF, Joe? I said Superman for a reason. And I'd like to know where you get off telling me I'm wrong, like you somehow know more than I do.

First of all Daniel, where did I tell you that you were wrong, I merely said that you would feel the flames of hell, with a winking smilie as a joke.

second, since you've already accused me of saying you were wrong.

YOU

The sound of Superman is all wrong. The Special Edition dvd, substituted sound that wasn't in the original picture, is sounds bad. The scene that is inserted into the Leaving Home sequence absolutely destroys that scene. DESTROYS.

Then there is the illogical scene where Lex tries to kill Superman with fire & bullets, after the discussion that fire and bullets don't hurt him. Nothing added, adds anything to the film, its a question of subtraction by addition. :|

Which was the "new" scene there?

Wasn't that the "Ma Kent does the dishes" scene?

Anyway, it doesn't matter anymore. Soon we'll have a new Supes movie and then we can finally put Donner's version to rest.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Anyway, it doesn't matter anymore. Soon we'll have a new Supes movie and then we can finally put Donner's version to rest.

Glad to see that, through irony, somebody speaks the voice of reason.

Which was the "new" scene there?

Wasn't that the "Ma Kent does the dishes" scene?

----------------

Alex Cremers

Ross speaks too soon Alex, not to say your not a voice of reason here, but since we don't know what the new Superman DVD will bring, we may be just as disappointed.

It features the characters from the TV show, but it isn't really about them.  

That is still the film's biggest problem, and keeps it from becoming a classic Star Trek film.

Screw being a classic "Star Trek" film, it's a classic science-fiction film! :sigh:

Intelligent exploration of scientific and philosophical concepts, and not a single laser battle in sight - pretty rare for a SF movie. (Plus both Kirk and Spock did have a great deal of the plot based around them. George Takei may not have had much of a look-in, but I can live with that!)

The revised "Blade Runner" was an improvement on the original, too.