So Williams was asked to score Superman Returns?

Romão

I'm surprised has made a comment on the news article in the main page, about the new Superman movies:

WILLIAMS ON WHY HE DIDN'T SCORE 'SUPERMAN RETURNS'

The latest issue of Spanish film magazine Fotogramas features an exclusive article o­n Superman Returns, which cites Brandon Routh's resemblance to Christopher Reeve as o­ne of the reasons why John Williams isn't in charge of the score. "I could never have dealt with this score. He [brandon] reminded me too much of Chris", admits the Maestro

Does this mean that maybe Jw was asked to score it but he refused due to the emotional attachment that he had with Reeve?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who knows, I'm almost tempted to lump this in with the french magazine interview where Williams supposedly expressed his disappointment with Lucas and TPM score.

It may have happened but I have my doubts. I think Singer had Ottman as his composer when he took the project.

Now they may have asked Williams if he would have been interested in scoring the film if approached by the studio but who really knows.

When John Williams left the Boston Pops and they made him that homage, Reeve was one of the spokepersons, and he spoke to Williams in a very friendly mode.

Regardless, I'm willing to bet that Singer didn't even ask Williams. I think that, despite the fact that Williams is a legend, he really just wants to work with his friend John Ottman on his projects.

Tim

Christopher Reeve also wrote for the linernotes for the complete Superman release.

I guess it's true what they say, "You learn something new every day". I for one never knew that.

Wait, Chris Reeves didn't write the liner notes for the complete score. I am looking at the booklet for it right now and it says "Michael Matessino" for the author of the liner notes.

So I guess this rules out John Williams ever scoring Richard Donner's Superman II re-cut.

:)

surely you never thought that was a reality

No, but it was damn nice to hope for. Had about as much chance of The Battle of Geonosis ever getting a proper score, but it was nice to dream.

Wait, Chris [Reeve] didn't write the liner notes for the complete score.  I am looking at the booklet for it right now and it says "Michael Matessino" for the author of the liner notes.

But he did write an intro, didn't he?

Ozzel - too lazy to look it up

Christopher Reeve was introduced to John Williams by Richard Donner during the middle of principal photography of Superman:The Movie in 1977.

• 7 years later...

Sorry for bumping a 7 year old thread, but I think this recent Williams comment confirms the one from 2006 (which some questioned because it was published in a foreign magazine).

2006 - John Williams on Superman Returns:

"I could never have dealt with this score. He [brandon] reminded me too much of Chris", admits the Maestro.

2013 - John Williams on Man of Steel:

"It puts me in mind of the late Chris Reeve, who we all loved so much. It's going to be hard for me not to let go of the music, but to let go of the idea of Superman being Chris. I thought he not only made that project successful, he embodied what all of us imagine Superman to look like if he could be given skin and bone, I think."

I wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't work on Superman Returns because of his emotional attachment to Chris Reeve. Williams was probably very close friends with him and his death seems to have effected him quite a bit when ever the topic of Superman comes up.

Although Ottman is 99% of the time Singer's composer for his films. So it seemed logical that he would have chosen Ottman anyways. Although if Williams agreed to have done it Ottman probably wouldn't have protested, who knows.

I know a lot of you dislike the score for Superman Returns but I for one still love it to this day.

I really love the Superman Returns score.

I don't care for what he did with Can You Read My Mind but it's a score I return to frequently. Then again, I grew up watching and listening to the Christopher Reeve films and music more than anything else so hearing Ottman using it was nice. :)

I have mixed feelings about the Ottman score, some of it is great, but it is missing some good themes for the quiet moments, which Williams' score had (The Kryptonite/Legacy theme, B theme etc.), plus its nowhere near as warm (probably a byproduct of the trebley and somewhat overly wet recording)

I don't care for what he did with Can You Read My Mind but it's a score I return to frequently. Then again, I grew up watching and listening to the Christopher Reeve films and music more than anything else so hearing Ottman using it was nice. :)

Curiously, I think his major-mode arrangement of "Can You Read My Mind" is the best part of the score! The rest isn't that interesting, IMO, but it's been a while since I saw the film.

Curiously, I think his major-mode arrangement of "Can You Read My Mind" is the best part of the score! The rest isn't that interesting, IMO, but it's been a while since I saw the film.

I prefer the major-mode version too :)

I remember the FSM podcast guys ripping apart Ottman's change, saying it was musically simplistic, but again it all comes back to the idea that complex is better. I find Ottman's version warmer and more definitive sounding.