Ordered from Varese Sarabande:

- Conti - The Right Stuff

- Goldsmith - Lonely Are The Brave

- Grusin - Author! Author!

- Williams - Amazing Stories

- Shore - Big

Ordered from SAE:

- Horner - Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

- Jones - Runaway Train (Expanded/3000 edition)

- Boughton - Tombstone (Complete/2 CD)

- Hooper - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

- Morricone - Duck You Sucker (Giu' la testa/2 CD)

- Sheffer - Omen IV: The Awakening

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My MM order with Boys From Brazil, Right Stuff, and Lonely Are The Brave arrived the other day

- Sibelius - Finlandia; Karelia Suite

What recording? I'm kinda collecting these pieces. ;)

This one. ;) It's the first time I've heard the Iceland Symphony Orchestra and I really like the performance, would love to hear them play Vaughan Williams's Sinfonia Antartica ... ;)

- Daugherty - Philadelphia Stories; UFO

I need some Daugherty.

By all means get him! :PThis CD is great to start with.

Hopefully I won't be buying anything for awhile. ;)

These past 2-3 months have been exciting as far as releases go. I need a break to catch my breath.

This one. :P It's the first time I've heard the Iceland Symphony Orchestra and I really like the performance, would love to hear them play Vaughan Williams's Sinfonia Antartica ... ;)

Thanks, nothing on there I don't already have at least once, so "really like" probably isn't enough to make me rush out and get it. :thumbup:

By all means get him! :DThis CD is great to start with.

Oh, and Naxos-priced, excellent. That will have to be one of my next purchases. The only Daugherty piece I've heard so far was Hell's Angels, live. That at least was awesome.

This one. ;) It's the first time I've heard the Iceland Symphony Orchestra and I really like the performance, would love to hear them play Vaughan Williams's Sinfonia Antartica ... ;)

Thanks, nothing on there I don't already have at least once, so "really like" probably isn't enough to make me rush out and get it. :P

It's your call, but I almost wanted it only for the performance of Iceland Symphony Orchestra, the very name sounds totally cool! :thumbup: I mean, come on, I buy tons of classical music and have never ever come across a recording done by them, I didn't even know they exist, did you?! :D They also have a website.

Recently got these Ben Folds albums:

Rockin' the Suburbs/Songs for Silverman (two albums in one package... only had a CDR of Suburbs and didn't know Silverman)

University A Cappella (A Cappella arrangements of Folds songs performed by various American university choirs)

All good. Some of the A Cappella stuff is quite brilliant.

Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (New FSM Complete Version)

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (OST)

Star Trek: First Contact (OST)

Harry Potter & The Goblet Of Fire (OST). Nicer than I remember. :P

Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince (OST). Not that bad really, although a bit weak for Potter? :lol:

Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (New FSM Complete Version)

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (OST)

Star Trek: First Contact (OST)

Three fine scores.

I'd say TWOK is better than fine. ;)

So is First Contact, actually.

Picked up season 4 of Galactica to top off my unexpected Amazon binge tonight (see recent purchases thread).

EDIT- Huh, I thought this would merge with my last post. Go ahead and stick 'em together, Marc.

Picked up season 4 of Galactica to top off my unexpected Amazon binge tonight (see recent purchases thread).

EDIT- Huh, I thought this would merge with my last post. Go ahead and stick 'em together, Marc.

You post count wh*re. :|

A double pack containing The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration and The Hollywood Sound, along with:

Thomas Newman - Wall-E

John Powell - Bolt

Nicholas Hooper - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

and...

Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid

...my first non-score purchase in at least 8 years...

The time limit is now three hours? I thought it was 120 minutes.

Hmm, I always thought it was 3 hours.

I can't even remember the last time I bought a music CD that wasn't related to film music.

The 90's perhaps?

Well do you already own all the non-score music you want? Occasionally I'll go out and buy a missing Dylan CD or Pink Floyd CD. I want the upcoming Beatles box set but it's $200!

Actually I think I remember buying some a few years ago. I think it was the 2 disc Commodores Anthology that corrected the problems with the first one.

There are a few left that I would like but they haven't been issued on CD yet.

I'll put the Beatles box set on my Christmas list. I very rarely purchase anything non-classical or non-film score. I do pick up some jazz occasionally, and always the newest Bon Jovi albums.

I just by the greatest hits albums, unless there is a song that I like that was left off.

Then I'll track down the album.

Alien 3 :D

Nice, how do you like it? :P

I love that score, it's my favourite one of Alien soundtracks (I haven't heard Goldsmith's expanded, though). I've been familiar with this for couple of years now, but I didn't have the original, so when I suddenly found it at a very reasonable price I didn't hesitate.

I also bought Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I finally decided I want to have it, not to metion it was ridiculously cheap.

Alien 3 :D

Nice, how do you like it? :P

I love that score, it's my favourite one of Alien soundtracks (I haven't heard Goldsmith's expanded, though).

Well, you definitely should. It might make you change your opinion. ;)

Not really. The expanded release is awesome, but the original album still definitely shows this is a terrific score. Still, it won't change his mind, but it's worth having nonetheless. :)

So is First Contact, actually.

Not to forget Undiscovered Country.

Not really. The expanded release is awesome, but the original album still definitely shows this is a terrific score. Still, it won't change his mind, but it's worth having nonetheless. :)

I really like Goldsmith's work. I find it terrific, but Goldenthal's is bolder and even more powerful. On the other hand, I never enjoyed Horner's score and I fail to see what's so good about it.

Lust, Caution by Alexandre Desplat

Perfume by Tykwer, Heil and Klimek

King Kong by James Newton Howard

The Da Vinci Code by Hans Zimmer

Papillon by Jerry Goldsmith

First Blood by Jerry Goldsmith

Hunt for the Red October by Basil Poledouris

Prokofiev Goes to the Movies (music from Alexander Nevsky, Ivan the Terrible and Lieutenant Kije)

I got the first 4 soundtracks from Rome on my holiday there. At least they still have decent soundtrack collections in their music stores. I am an old fashioned guy and like to buy my music from brick and mortar stores if it is possible so it was nice to see that they still have respect for soundtracks in Italy (Finnish stores are getting stingier by the year). Oddly very few Williams scores were available.

The other scores I found by chance in second hand CD stores here in Helsinki. Papillon has been one of my most sought after Goldsmith CDs (I made a promise to buy it the moment I spotted in a store) and this one is the expanded version. First Blood was also there along with a cheap copy of Hunt for the Red October. I could not resist the temptation. :)

And how is Morricone represented in Rome? :music:

Better than Williams but as I was focusing on other scores I did not made a complete survey. I think more than any other composer Morricone is plagued by enormous amounts of compilation albums. Those stood out in the CD stores more than his film score albums. :)

I really like Goldsmith's work. I find it terrific, but Goldenthal's is bolder and even more powerful. On the other hand, I never enjoyed Horner's score and I fail to see what's so good about it.

I'd count Goldsmith's among his best. Goldenthal's, too, probably, but I don't appreciate it as much as Goldsmith's. Horner's is just great fun.

Got my latest SAE order today, with some surprises since I'd already forgotten half of it:

Williams on Williams (used) - I remember seeing this in stores some 10 to 15 years ago; at the time I wanted it but was too concerned about my money and instead picked up other things.

Great Expectations (Doyle, used) - Lovely score, getting rather rare I believe?

Hot Shots! Part Deux (Poledouris, used) - don't recall this at all, except that I believe it was fun.

King's Row/The Sea Wolf (Korngold) - Somehow I never really got into Row with Gerhardt's recording, but I love the main theme when I heard it live two years ago, perhaps this will finally make me appreciate it more.

Lonely are the Brave (Goldsmith) - Never heard it.

Cain's Hundred (Goldsmith) - Never even heard *of* it.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Horner) - No comment necessary, I think. :lol:

I think more than any other composer Morricone is plagued by enormous amounts of compilation albums. Those stood out in the CD stores more than his film score albums. :lol:

Of course, I'm well aware of that (it's the same here in SLO), but I must say that I thought that in Italy, the situation must be better, the more so in Rome, where Ennio actually lives! :D