Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

ashinyobject

Pines of Rome/Fountains of Rome/Roman Festival - Respighi/Ormandy and Philadelphia Orchestra

A great choice, Joey, the finale of The Pines of Via Appia is one of the most magnificent musical orgasms of all time ... :rolleyes: Ain't it?!

JUST got the chance to listen to this CD and YES, I agree 100%! Wow, haha

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By all means get him! :)This CD is great to start with.

It is. May I in return recommend the just-released latest Naxos Daugherty CD (being the other one I just bought). Lots of great stuff - the final piece being nothing less than a fullblown timpani concerto. ;)

Can anyone tell me if it's worth getting the 1995 Sony edition of The Blue Max (Goldsmith). I want this album, but I've heard about problems with the sound quality - is there a chance it will be re-released at some point? Thanks.

Can anyone tell me if it's worth getting the 1995 Sony edition of The Blue Max (Goldsmith). I want this album, but I've heard about problems with the sound quality - is there a chance it will be re-released at some point? Thanks.

It does not sound too good, pinchy and compressed, even if it is from the mid-60s. Don't let fool you by those who claim Varése's old version (ca. 1985)is better...it's just another dimension of bad sound, Sony's version sounds more noise-filtered but that's about it.

The best thing you can do is to buy Goldsmith conducts Goldsmith (Silva), where he conducts a 17-minute suite containing Overture, First Flight, The Bridge, Attack and Epilogue which sound brilliant.

51njkwQkbRL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Thanks for that - I might hold off getting it for now (although Amazon has it new for less than $5) and see what next week's Varese Club brings.

It does not sound too good, pinchy and compressed, even if it is from the mid-60s. Don't let fool you by those who claim Varése's old version (ca. 1985)is better...it's just another dimension of bad sound, Sony's version sounds more noise-filtered but that's about it.

That said, it's perfectly listenable and absolutely worth getting. There's always a chance for a re-release I guess (and I would buy that if it has better sound).

The best thing you can do is to buy Goldsmith conducts Goldsmith (Silva), where he conducts a 17-minute suite containing Overture, First Flight, The Bridge, Attack and Epilogue which sound brilliant.

Slower, in this case, doesn't equal better. There's not enough excitement in the recording. If you want the best version of the best bits of the score, you need the Nerys footwear. That sounds about as good as the old Sony release, but is taken from the the 2001 LSO concert. Blue Max has never sounded as exciting as then.

The Resistance - Muse

Even bigger than before. Even stronger Queen influence this time. Some Chopin moments and the much-discussed Williams bit (easily recogniseable and possible intentional, but nowhere nearly as objectionable as some make it to be... if this were severe plagiarism, Williams himself would have been in trouble several times, and Horner would be sitting in jail). After a few listens, I wouldn't call it their best so far, but it's definitely still Muse, and it's still very fine. Favourite song so far: Guiding Light.

Philadelphia Stories/UFO

Fire and Blood/MotorCity Triptych/Raise the Roof - Daugherty

Finally got myself some Daugherty. Cool stuff. Is there a recording of Hell's Angels available yet, by the way?

I actually found The Resistance to be a bit of a disappointment. There are a number of good songs, but nothing that really jumps out and grabs you the way their previous 3 albums had. Also, the title track is extremely cheesy, and track 3 is a godawful Timbaland-ish mess.

Yep, but you see, The Beatles are my religion. So yesterday was pretty much bigger than Chirstmas. I've yet to get the Rock Band though, they're not selling the bundle in this place.

I heard the Rock Band Beatles guitars and whatnot aren't actually very good. It seems you are better off with the regular instruments.

I actually found The Resistance to be a bit of a disappointment. There are a number of good songs, but nothing that really jumps out and grabs you the way their previous 3 albums had. Also, the title track is extremely cheesy, and track 3 is a godawful Timbaland-ish mess.

At first I found it good and solid but not overwhelming. But I liked it more with each listen. I still wouldn't call it their best, but I have very few complaints. I like all songs, most of them a lot; least of all probably the so-called "symphony", which is nice but I can't quite get over how synthy the strings sound (even though the nice accompanying DVD shows the string orchestra).

John Cerminaro, Horn - Sonatas by Beethoven, Hindemith, Heiden and other works by Bozza, Glazunov, Strauss, Gliere, and Schmid

Metropolitan Opera Brass - "The Brass section of the the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra performs arias and interludes from their favorite operas"

Three Choral Suites: Ben-Hur, Quo Vadis, King of Kings - Rozsa

By all means get him! :oThis CD is great to start with.

It is. May I in return recommend the just-released latest Naxos Daugherty CD (being the other one I just bought). Lots of great stuff - the final piece being nothing less than a fullblown timpani concerto. <_<

Great, thanks, I'm definitely ordering this in the next couple of days!

I bought "Pines of Rome" on iTunes. The first movement sounds a bit like "Planet Krypton." Good stuff.

What do you think about the final - fourth movement?

It is. May I in return recommend the just-released latest Naxos Daugherty CD (being the other one I just bought). Lots of great stuff - the final piece being nothing less than a fullblown timpani concerto. <_<

Great, thanks, I'm definitely ordering this in the next couple of days!

Be sure to report back. :o MotorCity Tryptych and Raise the Roof are my two favourites from both CDs so far.

Do you have Intrada's release? Granted it's the original LP, so it's shorter but a nice companion piece. The Silva album is very close to the original tracks.

Do you have Intrada's release? Granted it's the original LP, so it's shorter but a nice companion piece. The Silva album is very close to the original tracks.

No, I don't. I have never heard the original, but so far I have been satisfied with Nic Raine's rerecordings of Barry's music, so I decided to purchase this one without hesitation.

Barry is a pretty easy composer to re-record. Rarely does he use extremely complex instrumental passages or challenging tempos.

I like the Last Valley, but at times it feels too much like Lion in Winter part II. The film seems like it was temp-tracked with Lion in Winter

Barry is a pretty easy composer to re-record. Rarely does he use extremely complex instrumental passages or challenging tempos.

I like the Last Valley, but at times it feels too much like Lion in Winter part II. The film seems like it was temp-tracked with Lion in Winter

I have heard Lion in Winter once, but didn't like it. But it was a long time ago and I was detracted by the extensive use of choir. Now my appreciation for that kind of music has grown and by the sheer fact that I like The Last Valley I reckon I need to listen to LiW again.

Last week at WDW I bought the current 2-disc soundtrack album and the SpectroMagic parade CD. Wonderful music, although I really wish they'd put out more complete CDs for each park. They could release so much! EPCOT has loads of great orchestral tracks. The official album has a nearly 11-minute-long whopper of a track featuring the Spaceship Earth underscore. Of course the 15 minute SpectroMagic score by John Debney and Steve Skorija is fabulous and worth every penny of that $12.98.

I bought "Pines of Rome" on iTunes. The first movement sounds a bit like "Planet Krypton." Good stuff.

What do you think about the final - fourth movement?

I like it, although I must confess it does seem a bit anti-climactic, especially when you have that larger-than-life ending of the first movement.

Vivaldi's The Four Seasons by Sarah Chang and Orpheus Chamber Orchestra. Bought it after a concert in which Chang was playing (Bruch's Violin Concerto No. 1), and she was kind enough to meet the public and sign the CDs after her performance.

Elfman's Mission: Impossible

I'm a great fan of Giacchino's score, and many here have said Elfman's is the best. We shall see.

i was at my regular store back home yesterday and i noticed Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull here is sold in jewel cases. So is it only America that gets it in digipacks?

I'm a great fan of Giacchino's score, and many here have said Elfman's is the best. We shall see.

Oh great, I'll be very interested in your opinion, so do elaborate ASAP! ;) (I'm a HUGE fan of Elfman's score and will admit that Giacchino's is also great, but not nearly as great as Elfman's, perhaps also in the way it works in/for the film and not so much as a standalone listening experience.)

Elfman's is the better of the two. I can understand that some might find it a difficult listen.

i was at my regular store back home yesterday and i noticed Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull here is sold in jewel cases. So is it only America that gets it in digipacks?

Yes.

Oh great, I'll be very interested in your opinion, so do elaborate ASAP! ;) (I'm a HUGE fan of Elfman's score and will admit that Giacchino's is also great, but not nearly as great as Elfman's, perhaps also in the way it works in/for the film and not so much as a standalone listening experience.)

It's definitely a more pleasing listen at first run-through (it took me a long time to start liking M:I:III but now I'm a really big fan of it). Love the different themes he came up with, and the action writing I like loads more than his action work today.

Good first impression so far :lol:

and The Blue Box

Way to go, Wojo! :thumbup:

It's definitely a more pleasing listen at first run-through (it took me a long time to start liking M:I:III but now I'm a really big fan of it). Love the different themes he came up with, and the action writing I like loads more than his action work today.

Good first impression so far :P

Cool! Any favourite tracks yet? ;)

I can't remember how many posts I've made lambasting such an expensive purchase, claiming I'd never make it.

And then I thought of when I recently bought 4 tires for my SUV, of how I got hung out to dry on that one, because I couldn't wait a few more days to get them from my preferred store, just because of silly things like the metal bands were showing. That was $500 in one kerplunk. This ~$213 set was a slam dunk.

It's OOP, I picked it up from a guy on FSM.

I'm only on the 1st disc so far, I love it. The overture is a real winner!

I do have to say that it doesn't have the structure or power that a score like Ben-Hur or El Cid does. It certainly has its highlights, but I think the single disc recording may be sufficient. The sound is probably better on that rerecording as well. I didn't own a copy of the score before, so for me just going for the complete release was a no-brainer.

This ~$213 set was a slam dunk.

Wait a minute...the Blue Box set costed you $213? :)

Haha, oops. The whole purchase from SAE was $213, including ~$16 shipping. I paid the normal SAE price for TBB.

Received my FSM releases of The Five Man Army and Guns For San Sebastian. Do they not e-mail shipping confirmations anymore? I never got one. Anyway it came with a fridge magnet with Morricone, Poledouris, Waxman, and Goodwin.

All that talk about Love Never Dies reminded me how much I enjoyed the music to Phantom of the Opera. I ordered the 2 CD version used on Amazon, along with John Williams' Penelope (coupled with Mancini's Bachelor in Paradise).