Are they brother and sister maybe?

"Do remember your mother? Your REAL mother?"Which brings me to something:PB said that the Relationship of Tauriel and Leggy was going to remind us of something else...And its Anakin and Padme! Think of it, Leggy's eyes in DOS are going to change colors at some point.... Just like Anakin in ROTS!

She said it was a Tolkien character Tauriel represents.

I'm curious about what that means.

is there an elven maiden that gets forbidden love with an elven prince or a dwarf in any of tolkien's works?

Beren and Luthien is the only thing that I can think of that comes anywhere close but they've done that with Aragorn and Arwen.

Beren and Luthien is the only thing that I can think of that comes anywhere close but they've done that with Aragorn and Arwen.

That's what I was thinking -- mainly because Beren and Luthien storm Sauron's fortress to steal back one or all of the Silmarils. Could it be that Tauriel is tied to the Dol Guldur subplot?

So Cumberbatch plays Evangeline Lilly the whole time in the movies? That make-up in the trailers is devilishly convincing.

That's what I was thinking -- mainly because Beren and Luthien storm Sauron's fortress to steal back one or all of the Silmarils. Could it be that Tauriel is tied to the Dol Guldur subplot?

They storm the fortress of Melkor beneath Thangorodrim to reclaim the Silmaril.

Not exactly what I would call suitable for the Hobbit.

Not to mention the core of the story of Beren and Luthien is that a mortal man falls in love with an immortal elf, which is nonsense for Tauriel and Legolas because they are both elvish. And besides, the story of Beren and Luthien is already present in Jackson's Middle-Earth opus in the Aragorn/Arwen story.

Yes it is a bit vague, which famous couple from Tolkien's stories PJ and the writers are intending to homage. But I don't think it is going to be Beren and Luthien.

Gilraen?

Stay-at-home woman who gives birth to the next kind of Gondor and Arnor? I don't get that vibe from Tauriel.

Hey you forgot the additional scene where the dwarves moon at the elves in Rivendell to show their gratitude for the hospitality.

Remind me not to open this thread once its released, The Suspension Is Killing Me.

Suspension of disbelief?

I am content to wait and see the new edit of the film to find out what has been added. And I am sure Theonering.net or some such fan site will surely report the changes long before that.

Don't "duh" me! That still doesn't explain it. The digital version was probably already finished like a month ago (probably even sooner), yet they didn't release it! So there's no reason why they wouldn't release both versions at the same time!

1: The did not release it sooner, because they don't want people spoiling others who don't want the Digital 2: They did not release it at the same time, because they want to have give it a "sneak peek effect"

Basically it goes like this:

Too early, and you got people being spoiled months in advance of the Physical, and people being extremely irritated, too late and you got people just buying the Physical and no exclusivity.

Its about money, just like with Star Trek Into Darkness (I think) which almost makes me wonder if the Digital release will have a exclusive commentary like STID did..

Indeed. You can really see some of that music playing over the Thorin reveal.

Looks like the Girion bit has been moved to DoS, unless the guy has forgotten it (which is possible - after all, he leaves out Bilbo talking to Elrond weirdly enough, so there's hope for the Narsil scene).

The Rivendell scenes present some interesting upbeat Dwarven music possibilities.

Also, we know now that Bilbo flashback goes within the timeline of 'Old Friends'. I guess this means that bit of playful music and the fireworks bit heard in the normal version of the soundtrack might be from this scene? Who knows.

EDIT: Narsil scene is in!

Ah!!! Yes it was! Thank you for reminding me of that! It’s a very short scene with Bilbo exploring Rivendell. He sees the sword, and the painting on the wall next to it is Sauron with the ring on his hand as he fights Isildur. There’s a dramatic pause as they focus on the ring… Dun dun dun!

It seems the Goblintown cues will probably be quite different from their theatrical counterpart (since there's quite a lot of added stuff).

It's a shame they put the young Bilbo scene right after the prologue. I'm afraid this won't work quite well. Can you imagine? That means it goes like this: Prologue - Young Bilbo scene - Old Bilbo with Frodo scene - Freeman's BiIbo meets Gandalf. Weird. We'll see how this turns out, but I think it would have been better to put that scene after the Misty Mountains song (as suggested by some people).

Also, regarding how the scenes follow each other, it seems the unidentified bit in Old Friends standard version (around the 2'30 mark) could be either for the young Bilbo scene or the marketplace scene.

Doesn't sound as if there's anything major story wise (except maybe point 9) but it sounds as if there's some nice new character moments which is always good IMO. Looking forward to it.

Doesn't sound as if there's anything major story wise

Yep (except for point 9, which you mentioned, but also the added bit in the prologue).

EDIT: Narsil scene is in!

Cool! Now, we have all the footage for The White Council Extended version!

No additional Radagast footage, though. Unless there were just a few additional shots that the guy didn't notice. It seems the Radagast The Brown track will remain a mystery...

I think the way you presented the footage in your video thread might come very close to the version the extended Radagast the Brown track underscored.

Still, we probably won't get to see what the missing footage was supposed to be.

True. But who knows what treasures the extras contain. :)

At least some of the Girion scene may be in after all. The confusion makes sense, since some people initially thought it was a dwarf firing that ballista in the trailer:

There was a split-second shot of someone firing arrows at the dragon, but I can’t remember if it was someone from Dale or if it was a dwarf. I just remember seeing an arrow bounce off of the dragon. Nothing significant though, so I assume it’s been moved to the second film.

Would make sense so that they can tie Girion as part of Bard's backstory more tightly.