What's The Last Book You Read?

John Crichton

Finished The Hunger Games. Great book, and I've rewatched the trailer and it looks like it could be really fantastic. Unfortunately they don't show anything after the games actually begin, but the cast and crew seems solid enough to pull off a good adaptation.

I recently read that there's gonna be some original songs by people like Taylor Swift. Makes me cringe, but hopefully Howard will deliver a great score.

51 is quite respectable number now days, when people does not read that much. I've been reading

lately Mika Waltari's works and some of them, the historical novels can be 1000 pages, so my number this year lower than usual.

Next year, that would be tomorrow, I will start a marathon :wink: of american classics.

I'm proud of myself for reading that many books. At the beginning of the year I read about 15 books in two months. My work schedule was very conducive to reading and I took advantage of it. My mom had always been a big reader so I started taking her to the book store with me on Saturdays. Pretty soon it became a competition to see who could read more. She finished the year with 52, beating me by 1. She is not going to read tomorrow so she can finish a book on New Years Day morning and take the early lead on me. I dont like to lose, but this is more than a competition. It is just a great way to keep reading. Reading is the best way to keep your mind active.

That's a book a week. Quite impressive. I've got a good amount of hobbies that take up my time as much as reading, but I average about a book a month. Compared to others in my age group, that's actually a lot, which is unfortunate.

Yes, the "Complete and Uncut" edition of The Stand is longer than IT.

I'm sorry to come in this late, but seen in the proper light, that is the sentence with the most hilarious unintentional dirty talking I've read in a long time.

I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell by Tucker Max.

I had heard of this book for awhile so I finally read it. The guy is a complete tool bag but he seems to have fun. I would hang out with him for a night.

About A Boy by Nick Hornby

Hornby is by far my favorite author. This was the second time I've read this book. If you are a fan of any of his books, you should read them all. I can imagine that I will be reading this book again in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently reading Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill.

I'm not sure how others here feel towards these self-development books, but apparently this was the original and the best, containing case studies, anecdotes, examples and analysis of individuals who went from rags-to-riches based on persistance and a sub-conscious drive to achieve their seemingly unattainable goals. I actually like the idea that even though our conscious mind can entertain the idea that we can achieve something, but we end up getting nothing out of it because deep down, our sub-conscious mind was unconvinced - the trick its to convince your sub-conscious that you can be successful at what you do. Although that's more of a Bob Proctor interpretation of the material written here.

Mind you, this book isn't necessarily about making money, being "rich" is a pretty broad and vague term, where the methods in this book can be applied in just about anything you do in life to improve your results. Hill is quite aware of this in the text.

Normally I think these types of get-rich-quick books are scams, and usually they are if money is all they're on about, but give this one a try and you might improve areas of your life where you felt dissatisfied and needed some motivation for improvement.

I am a huge lover of books and reading is essentially all you'll me doing in my spare my time. However, I confess I have never read a John Grisham book...its quite unfortunate because I've always wanted to.

Anyone have any idea which Grisham novel I should start with?

I just finished Heinlein's "Starship Troopers" last week. It was an excellent book, though very different than the movie that was derived from it. Unfortunately, I don't believe that a movie based more heavily on the book would have gelled with audiences who had not read the book in high school, which I imagine is just about everybody.

It took me too long to realize that the book is probably a satire of the political situation at the time in the late 50s (the book was first published in 1959, though my copy has the movie tie-in cover), which means the Bugs are probably meant to represent the Soviet Union, with the Federation as the USA. That point would deter movie audiences who just want a good uberviolent blood and guts space yarn they've come to expect from Paul Verhoeven. The movie did pick up on the idea that its distant future had become heavily militarized, and that only military service would allow one to earn the right to vote and become a citizen.

The novel is told in the first person with Johnny Rico as the narrator, as if he is reading us excerpts from his memoirs written later in life. Supporting characters appear briefly and may walk out of the story, never to return, or are mentioned later as having died. This happens at every key stage of Johnny's book -- before signing up, in boot camp, in early service, and then towards the end when he is made an officer -- and so the movie did wise in selecting one group of characters to stay constant throughout the tale, or actually combining characters.

I recommend it for fans of the movie and fans of classic science-fiction and/or military novels in general. It does throw a lot of heavy psychological and philosophical preaching at the reader, especially through the character of Mr. Dubois, who does not show up in the fight alongside Johnny as he does in the movie, which combined his character with others -- but a lot of the ideas are fascinating.

Star Trek Movie Memories by William Shatner.

Any Star Trek likely knows all the insight that is in this book. However, there are a few interesting things that I did not know until reading it.

The last book was very disappointing, but i did find the first two entertaining. Still the movie is going to be a fluke though.

I thought it was better than the second but not as good as the first.

The movie looks like it can be great, but Woody Harrelson as Haymitch is just a complete miscast. Oh, and Rue being a little black girl. I just didn't picture her that way. Everything else I've seen matches up well with the images the prose conjured up.

I just finished Heinlein's "Starship Troopers" last week.

I've been meaning to read it for a while.

I usually have no problem in going through a lot of classic vintage science-fiction from the USA. Asimov, Clarke, etc. But for some reason I'm just lazy to get into Heinlein.

I read Corto Maltese in Siberia by Hugo Pratt and Arkham Asylum: A Serious Place on Serious Earth by Grant Morrison and Dave McKean, just to add some comic books to the thread.

I'm going to have to read the Morrison again to understand what the hell was going on, though :huh:

Star Trek Memories by William Shatner.

William Shatner's memories from the tv show. Most of this stuff I did not know. I've only watched TOS once thru. This book makes me want to re-visit the series.

Strangers by Dean Koontz, before the 11-22-63. both are fantastic.

btw I ordered a copy of the 1976 paperback copy of Stephen King's 'Salem's Lot.

It's the one with the black cover with a little girl's face with a single blood drop on the corner of the mouth.

It cost me $3.05 which is probably more than it cost in '76.

Pip-pip Sir by P. G. Wodehouse, A collection of Jeeves and Wooster stories. Fun and light reading.

'Salem's Lot.

It is hands down the greatest vampire novel of all time. It is truly unrivaled in it's greatness. And not one damned vampire glitters, or is gay and flowery. Meyer's and Rice please note.

'Salem's Lot.

It is hands down the greatest vampire novel of all time. It is truly unrivaled in it's greatness. And not one damned vampire glitters, or is gay and flowery. Meyer's and Rice please note.

I second every word of that!

I recently read True Grit and loved it. It's got a lot of wit, I'll probably check out Portis' other novels soon. Right now I'm starting to enjoy Hemingway...

• 2 weeks later...

I Want to Tell You: My Response to Your Letters, Your Messages, Your Questions by OJ Simpson

Written during the trial. It's pretty much what you would expect it to be.

Just finished Hogfather, the second of my two annual Pratchett books. Only 10 more years or so, and I'll have caught up with his Discworld writings. Now it's back to The Two Towers, which I'd put aside for this and Feet of Clay.

I read the last of the 5 book Frankenstein series by Dean Koontz, ended with a silent fart rather than a bang.

reading Duma Key by Stephen King, then I'll read Lisey's Story. I'm catching up getting ready for Dr. Sleep next year, the most anticipated book for me since the Deathly Hallows.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anybody by any chance bought and/or read Family Legacy, a mob novel written by Jack O'Halloran who played Non in Superman movies?

• 1 month later...

Faithful by Stephen King and Stewart O'Nan

It's a day-by-day chronicle of the Red Sox 2004 Championship season. You have to be a Red Sox fan for this book to have any appeal.

actually its one of the best written sports books in years.

I'm going to read the book of Alfred Kantor. hopefully after that I'll reread the pillars of the earth.

finished JP in english, I'm half through TLW already. I still get goosebumps reading these. I just imagine how would be to be there, and its so great a mix of awe and terror...

BTW is richard levine black? his only description says that he is a dark man. Does this mean his hair color? Because when chrichton describes arby its clear he is black.

It just that i had pictured levine to be white in my fist read, and it's strange to imagine him differently, no racism or things like that... :P