Notes on a Scandal (2006): Philip Glass

Laberinto del Fauno, El (2006): Javier Navarrete

The Queen (2006): Alexandre Desplat

They really like, Newman, don't they?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Song: "I Need to Wake Up," An Inconvenient Truth (first song nominated from a documentary)

"I Love You I Do," Dreamgirls

"Listen," Dreamgirls

"Our Town," Cars (Randy's back after five years)

"Patience," Dreamgirls (third film to have three song nominees)

This means Jennifer Hudson, Beyonce and Eddie Murphy might perform at the show. That's why they nominated the songs.

"Never Gonna Break My Faith" from Bobby was shunned. Shocker. But the film as a whole was ignored.

As for score, I'm a little shocked James Horner didn't get in. But I saw Pan's Labryinth last night and I agree the score is great. I hope Gustavo doesn't get swept up in another groundswell for a much-loved film even though the score is just OK.

This is going to Navarrete. His name is weird enough. Not as weird as Santaolalla, but that one already has an oscar.

From what I've heard, I can tell both Pan's and The Queen are deserving nominations.

Best picture nominees:

Babel

The Departed

Letters from Iwo Jima

Little Miss Sunshine

The Queen

Not sure about these. I've only seen The Departed.

Best director nominees:

Clint Eastwood (Letters from Iwo Jima)

Stephen Frears (The Queen)

Paul Greengrass (United 93)

Alejandro González Iñárittu (Babel)

Martin Scorsese (The Departed)

I have again only seen two, but as much as I'd love Scorsese to finally get his long overdue Oscar, I think Greengrass deserves all the praise he can get for United 93.

Full list here.

Navarrete's score didn't impress me much (I know it only from the movie), though it had a haunting main theme. It is kind of pity that I haven't heard any of the other scores.

And yes, they do love Santaolalla. ;)

Let's hope they don't make a joke out of the Best Score awards again this year (yeah, right, fat chance, I know, but still).

Consider this, if Santaolalla wins again (why, really?), he'd have more Oscars than Jerry Goldsmith. ;)

The race is between Desplat and Santaollalla, with Desplat having a slight lead because of the GG and GS's win last year. But they do seem to love Santaollalla.

Biggest shocker for me with the list is that Dreamgirls is out of the running (despite having most noms) and that Marky-Mark took Jack's place for best supporting actor. He was good in the 4 scenes he was in...but come on. Jack was fatnastic, and he had a real role.

Spielberg got a nom as one of the producers of Letters from Iwo Jima

He better enjoy it, as he's never going to win. That film is the one least likely out of the four.

Go to http://www.imdb.com/features/rto/2007/oscars for the complete list.

Song: "I Need to Wake Up," An Inconvenient Truth (first song nominated from a documentary)

"I Love You I Do," Dreamgirls

"Listen," Dreamgirls

"Our Town," Cars (Randy's back after five years)

"Patience," Dreamgirls (third film to have three song nominees)

This means Jennifer Hudson, Beyonce and Eddie Murphy might perform at the show. That's why they nominated the songs.

Dude, there's no "conspiracy" from the Academy members in the music category to nominate one or many songs of the same movie, just to get Eddie Murphy on stage.

Hellgi

No nomination for Zwartboek. Pity. Didn't think it would win, but a nomination would've done our Dutchie pride some good. Oh well.

Nothing could have beaten the Labrynth. And from what I read, Zwartboek did not get raving reviews. Some liked it more, some like it less, very few loved it. It was showing here, and Verhoven came to present it, but they were sold out by the time I got there. Got to the Q&A though. He was very proud of the film, called most of the rest of his films garbage, and said he thought Robocop was his best film.

I have no idea how Little Miss Sunshine made Best Picture, I mean it wasn't even that good.

Simple: Every single person who voted liked the film. I don't know how many loved it, but everyone had a lot of goodwill towards it. And I'm with them on that- I thought it was a wonderful little picture.

Dude, there's no "conspiracy" from the Academy members in the music category to nominate one or many songs of the same movie, just to get Eddie Murphy on stage.

What? Of course there is! Historically they nominate the songs they'd most like see performed. And they just love Randy Newman. So often the oscar nominate and vote for the people they'd most like to see on stage.

Babel (2006): Gustavo Santaolalla

The Good German (2006): Thomas Newman

Notes on a Scandal (2006): Philip Glass

Laberinto del Fauno, El (2006): Javier Navarrete

The Queen (2006): Alexandre Desplat

They really like, Newman, don't they?

Wow, what boring list. Someone let me know when Morricone receives his honorary Oscar and I'll turn the TV on.

At least there is not one movie clearly dominating the nominations. Matters of fairness aside, this could be one of the most impredictable cerimonies of the last few years (well, last year was pretty unpredictable too).

Nearly as bad as last year's list IMO.

I join those who are blind to what the academy sees in Santaolalla - I've heard both his scores (Babel and BM) and both were simplistic crap IMO.

However....go Tommy!!!

Nearly as bad as last year's list IMO.

Brokeback Mountain

The Constant Gardener

Memoirs of a Geisha

Munich

Pride & Prejudice

Apart from Brokeback, they were all good scores IMO.

Not that I liked it, but Brokeback worked very well in the picture and was mixed well. I suppose that's what makes nominee for the Academy, not the music itself.

Karol

Man, this year's Oscars suck!!! I don't think I'll even bother to watch it. I just hope that Scorsese will win and that Santaolalla won't!!! Then I'm content. (Oh yeah, I also hope Spielberg wins, but fat chance!!!)

I'm actually quite pleased with these nominations. I loved the Queen and Pan's Labyrinth. Loved what I've heard from The Good German, heard some great things about Notes of a Scandal, so the only one that doesn't belong is Babel.

I've only heard The Good German and El Laberinto del Fauno, so I'm not in a great position to pick a valid winner, but I did like those two scores, and thought El Laberinto del Fauno worked wonders in the film (I didn't see The Good German).

Tim

Publicist gets tired of the hobby, it seems.

Of all the nominated scores i only 'know' 'Good German' and 'Pan's Labyrinth' and while the Newman has some excruciatingly good moments, it's an usual 40-odd-cues-job with only a handful standing out.

'Pan' has a somewhat recognizable melody (which in itself is oscar-worthy these days), but isn't this great in setting up a special atmo.

Ennio Morricone should get simply 2 Awards this evening.

Wow, what boring list. Someone let me know when Morricone receives his honorary Oscar and I'll turn the TV on.

Quoted for truth. This was my reaction when I saw the nominees.

What? Of course there is! Historically they nominate the songs they'd most like see performed. And they just love Randy Newman. So often the oscar nominate and vote for the people they'd most like to see on stage.

Do you guys have any tangible proof as a source to support your statements?

Here's how it works: the members from the music category attend a special meeting where they listen to each song submitted by the studios that fit in the category (there's about 50 of them). If you don't go to this meeting, you can't vote.

Right now, the producers and the people involved with the music for the actual 79th AA show don't even know who will perform. Heck, they don't even know yet what to do with those 3 Dreamgirls songs, and they don't know for sure if they will get Eddie Murphy (or anyone else, at this point) to perform on stage. I can even tell you there were talks until yesterday to *not* have any songs being performed live!

So, to sum up; you're a member of the Academy in the music category (which makes me think that you kinda know about the craft); you took the time out of your busy schedule to go to a 3-hour meeting; you listen to 50 songs; and then you just vote for the song you want to see performed on stage, even though nobody knows for sure if it will and if it does, who's going to perform?

Sorry but that doesn't make any sense to me.

They just vote for the song they think is the best. Stage performance or not.

Hellgi

Of course they often vote for the songs they want to see performed. What do they care about voting for the best song? No one in the world cares about the Best song oscar, aside from the people who win. I'm sure people often vote for the person they'd most like to see on stage, especially in a year when they most probably don't have too many favorites.

And there have often been talks about not having songs performed live (there have been years where nto all the songs were performed), but I am sure that it's nothing the music branch has anything to do with. As far as everyone knows, the songs will be performed, and it's more likely than not that the person who sang it on the album will sing it at the show.

(...) What do they care about voting for the best song? No one in the world cares about the Best song oscar, aside from the people who win. I'm sure people often vote for the person they'd most like to see on stage, especially in a year when they most probably don't have too many favorites.

You have no idea what you are talking about *and* you have nothing to support your statements.

It really bothers me when people criticize something without having anything to back up their criticisms.

And you do have something to back up your notions? I've been following the Oscars for a very long time, and while a lot of it does seem like nominating and voting for the right people, a lot of it smells of choosing the best speech maker, making up for years past, trying to get in line with popular opinion, trying to provide a sensational moment. You are the first person I've encountered who honestly believes that everyone simply votes for what they think is the best. The notion of Eddie Murphy performing sounds more exciting than most other songs' singer in the past year, and as there are almost no songs I care enough to award, I'd put in a note for the song I'd most like to see performed live. And I'm sure that there are those in the music branch who feel similar.

I hate when bad score win by default.I have no idea why they like Santaolalla so much but I'm afraid he's going to win again.Babel fabricated hype is growing.It will now be 2 times Oscar winner Gustavo Santaollala ...what a joke.Who remembers Brokeback Mountain now...

K.M.

And you do have something to back up your notions? I've been following the Oscars for a very long time, and while a lot of it does seem like nominating and voting for the right people, a lot of it smells of choosing the best speech maker, making up for years past, trying to get in line with popular opinion, trying to provide a sensational moment. You are the first person I've encountered who honestly believes that everyone simply votes for what they think is the best. The notion of Eddie Murphy performing sounds more exciting than most other songs' singer in the past year, and as there are almost no songs I care enough to award, I'd put in a note for the song I'd most like to see performed live. And I'm sure that there are those in the music branch who feel similar.

First, I believe it's the people who criticize who should support their statements, not the other way around.

Second, regarding my references, if you must know, I am currently working on the music side of the 79th AA, and I personnaly work(ed) for a bunch of composers who are members of the academy, obviously in the music category. One of them is on the Academy's executive board. That doesn't make me the most well-informed person on the planet about the Academy Awards, but at least I get my info from the source.

Also, I never said the actual winners were chosen well - I said that when it comes down to their own categories, most members are professional enough to know what they are talking about.

If you never encountered one person (besides me) who "honestly believes that everyone simply votes for what they think is best", you probably have no connection whatsoever with the actual people who are *members* and who *do* vote.

And by the way, it is not because there are "almost no songs [you] care enough to award" that everybody feels your way, especially in the industry.

You seem to be "sure" of many things, but up till now didn't give any hard facts to support your thoughts.

Hellgi

You seem to be "sure" of many things, but up till now didn't give any hard facts to support your thoughts.

Hellgi

Yeah, well, neither have you. I do not know any acadamy members, no, but I I do know who I would vote for, and I do know what Oscar "experts" in the press say, and both back up the notion that, yes, if a person is nto terribley invested in a particular song, he might vote for who he thought would give the best show, or want to nominate a song in protest, or trying to rattle some cages.

I sat at home and listened to all the nominated songs today. They are all awesome, though "Our Town" drags in the middle. If they get Beyonce to perform (shouldn't be hard since she sang three times in 2004), I hope she can belt all the notes she hits in the song. Now, to discuss voting for a song you want to see performed on the show, maybe it's true, but this year there were so many superstars singing songs that it's hard to say this year. They could have picked Prince's song, or the song from "Bobby" that Aretha Franklin sang, or the song from "Idlewild" and had OUtkast add flavor to the show. Anyway, I can't pick which song I would vote for. And as a bit of history, only two films that had more than one song nominated lost the award. The first was "Yentl," which lost to "Flashdance," also a double nominee. The second was "Cold Mountain," and nothing was getting in the way of "Return of the King."

Anyway, I can't wait to see/hear "Notes on a Scandal." I'm a casual fan of Philip Glass, and I'm interested to see how his style fits in this movie. Plus, to see Dame Judi as a lesbian is too juicy to miss.

If I had to vote now I'd pick "Pan's Labyrinth" for best score. I saw it last night, and that lullaby is still in my head.

I would be glad to see Thomas Newman on the stage, though. Sooner or later, he's going to commit suicide on live TV if they pass him up again. Maybe he should take advice from his cousin and just wait for the "honorary" Oscar.

A fantasy film(like Pan's Labirinth) will never win again,they gave everything to RotK(it seemed like a joke that year) to get fantasy films out of the way so they could go back to nominating films with politically correct overtones.

K.M.

If an unbelievably good fantasy film comes along, then the academy can't help but some award to it.

Or can they? :unsure: