Chicago Concerts

Tom

The programs for the CSO concerts are now up. They are pretty impressive. Does anybody know if Williams has done the Spielberg/Lucas tribtue before? is it just a medley?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that I know of... but the Williams concerts are always a quasi-monographic Spielberg/Lucas homage (Indy, E.T., Jaws, Star Wars...).

Good to see The Five Sacred Trees in the programme, although I'm rather disappointed because I was expecting that Chicago held the première of the Viola Concerto.

I EDIT to retract, after reading the full programme, I must say it's the most complete and impressive in the last few years.

Williams - Fanfare for a Festive Occasion

Williams - Tributes! (for Seiji)

Williams - The Five Sacred Trees (Bassoon Concerto)

Williams - Four Pieces from American Journey

Williams - Selections from The Witches of Eastwick

Williams - Sayuri’s Theme from Memoirs of a Geisha

Williams - Adventures on Earth from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

http://www.cso.org/main.taf?p=3,11,6,1&EventID=9008

I RE-EDIT my message to add the sunday concert (I overlooked before). More appealing to the average soundtrack fan (less for me), but I think it's the perfect counterpoint to saturday's one.

Newman - 20th Century-Fox Fanfare

Williams - Theme from Jurassic Park

Williams - Two Pieces from Born on the Fourth of July

Williams - Suite from The Reivers

Williams - March from 1941

Williams - Escapades from Catch Me If You Can

Williams - Techniques of Film Scoring

Williams - A Tribute to George Lucas and Steven Spielberg

http://www.cso.org/main.taf?p=3,11,6,1&EventID=9047

They also added a 4th date: Friday 23 November 2007

When is the last time he has conducted BOTFOJ and WOE in concert?

Two Pieces from Born on the Fourth of July

Two pieces? What could those be?

I'd guess the Main Title and The Early Days. Gosh I want to hear that so bad, BOTFOJ is my FAVORITE.

I didn't know that Williams played anything from BOTFOJ except for the concert arrangement of the end title.

It's great to see Fanfare for a Festive Occasion, Witches, Geisha, Bot4J, The Reivers, and 1941 all on those programs...what a nice change from the standard! I'm definitely keeping these concerts on my radar.

Ray Barnsbury

Don't give up hope ;) I can't go to Chicago (at least for this year), but you never know what may happen.

God, no, I won't give up hope. I always know that something amazing is bound to happen! I just don't know what :)

Remember,all those with microphoned devices,we only have Fanfare for a Festive Occasion in a really poor sounding recording.

Can you (or anyone else) recommend a specific recording device and mic that one could discretly pocket in the jackt and have the mic clipped to their tie or lapel?

Not that I would do anything like that B)

Remember,all those with microphoned devices,we only have Fanfare for a Festive Occasion in a really poor sounding recording.

Can you (or anyone else) recommend a specific recording device and mic that one could discretly pocket in the jackt and have the mic clipped to their tie or lapel?

Not that I would do anything like that B)

Of course you wouldn't... no one ever does that... ;)

I've been keeping my eye on these, but the date's too far away to really know what'll be going on. Those programs do sound interesting, but for someone who's never seen JW live, or even heard much JW live, I'd be more excited if it had some CE3K (!), Jaws, Superman, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones... (Hey, a girl can dream! :)

And it's a major trip for me, so $$$ is always an unknown. Maybe I'll save up for a future Boston appearance... ;)

-Greta

When is the last time he has conducted BOTFOJ and WOE in concert?

I don't know if it was the last time, but Williams conducted the LSO in both Excerpts from Born on the Fourth of July and the Devil's Dance from Witches of Eastwick on July 1st and 2nd 1998 in London's Barbican Centre.

A literal answer to what may have been a rhetorical question. ;)

Hey, does JW usually extend Theme from Jurassic Park to include the Journey to the Island theme? The one time I heard him play JP, he did that, and I think it was titled Theme from Jurassic Park in the program.

All the times I have witnessed it performed he has... all two of them LOL

• 3 months later...

If I understand correctly, each of the two programs will be performed twice: 'Movie Music' on the Friday and Sunday & 'American Journey' on Saturday and the following Tuesday. If tickets are still available (when they go on sale to the general public in mid-August), I'll be attending one of each of the programs.

My iPod and Belkin TuneTalk Stereo microphone will be coming with me. :)

I first saw JW in concert with the CSO, Nov. 2005, and I very much look forward these performances.

Who else will be going? We could attempt to meet up at the concerts....

I'll be less likely to consider these concerts, since Williams is apparently coming to Detroit (his first time in Michigan?) next year. The programs are good though.

Ray Barnsbury

I'll be less likely to consider these concerts, since Williams is apparently coming to Detroit (his first time in Michigan?) next year. The programs are good though.

Ray Barnsbury

How did you find out about that??? Williams in Motown would be awesome!!! :)

I've now finally decided that I'll go to Chicago next November to see these concerts. I'll be there with two friends of mine. The experience of the 2005 concerts was so wonderful to me that I want to do it again. Since this summer my vacations will be very short this yeat, I can put apart some money to do another trip in the U.S. next winter.

:)

Ray Barnsbury

How did you find out about that??? Williams in Motown would be awesome!!! :D

It was mentioned in the Michigan thread in Other Topics. I went to the website of the DSO, and tickets for non-subscribers will be available in early August.

Ray Barnsbury

Thanks for the heads up!!! :D

So who is planning on going in November????

I found out the ticket prices and they are ridiculously more reasonable than New York. One could easily attend 2 concerts in Chicago for the price of 1 in NYC!!!

They played it in Boston this year and the Saturday concert was broadcast in STEREO on WCRB. Unfortunately, no one in Boston was smart enough to record it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tickets ordered me too! Oh, my... I can't believe I'm doing this again! :)

I'll attend the Friday, Saturday and Sunday concerts, along with two friends of mine. Also, the CSO Patron Services told me that before the Saturday and Sunday concerts, Williams will hold pre-concerts lectures. There aren't clear plans already if these will be Q&As or meet-and-greet kinds of events.

The programs for the CSO concerts are now up. They are pretty impressive. Does anybody know if Williams has done the Spielberg/Lucas tribtue before? is it just a medley?

It is a medley that includes the main themes from Jaws, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and E.T., performed to selected film clips. Makes one wonder what encores will be played when most of the standard encores are already included in the actual program...

I've been keeping my eye on these, but the date's too far away to really know what'll be going on. Those programs do sound interesting, but for someone who's never seen JW live, or even heard much JW live, I'd be more excited if it had some CE3K (!), Jaws, Superman, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones... (Hey, a girl can dream! :huh:

And it's a major trip for me, so $$$ is always an unknown. Maybe I'll save up for a future Boston appearance... :angry:

-Greta

He usually does his more iconic works as encores, at least at the Hollywood Bowl. I'm sure he'll play some of those in Chicago, too.

I've been keeping my eye on these, but the date's too far away to really know what'll be going on. Those programs do sound interesting, but for someone who's never seen JW live, or even heard much JW live, I'd be more excited if it had some CE3K (!), Jaws, Superman, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones... (Hey, a girl can dream! :huh:

And it's a major trip for me, so $$$ is always an unknown. Maybe I'll save up for a future Boston appearance... :angry:

-Greta

He usually does his more iconic works as encores, at least at the Hollywood Bowl. I'm sure he'll play some of those in Chicago, too.

Bet money on "The Mission Theme" as well with the usual "Since the concert's run a little long, you may have missed the news so..." followed by polite laughter and applause a few seconds into the piece.

I secured tickets for the Friday and Saturday concerts. Can't wait! :D

While still cheaper than the NYPO, the tickets were somewhat more expensive than two years ago... I'm not just imagining this, am I?

I was thinking of getting a ticket (never been to Chicago before), but then the price of hotels for that weekend freaked me out! Why are they doing this during the U.S. Thanksgiving Day weekend? ROTFLMAO

At least for the Detroit concert in April I'll have my grandmother's place in Windsor to stay at.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It appears that recently the Chicago Symphony Orchestra website has made a change to be programs for both Friday night the 23rd of November and Sunday the 24th of November. Those adjustments include the elimination of four concert pieces which will be replaced by new additions. The four reductions include Newman's 20th Century Fox fanfare, and John Williams theme from Jurassic Park. One piece from his Born on the Fourth Of July and unfortunately the March from 1941 was a I among come to work to my Indian is also being replaced. The good news in my humble opinion is that the additions to the program make for a better overall concert experience. As for additions include the March from Superman selections Far and Away Out to Sea and the Shark Cage Fugue and Hooray for Hollywood.

Old Program:

Newman - 20th Century-Fox Fanfare

Williams - Theme from Jurassic Park

Williams - Two Pieces from Born on the Fourth of July

Williams - March from 1941

Williams - Techniques of Film Scoring

Williams - A Tribute to George Lucas and Steven Spielberg

The updated program can be viewed below:

Friday and Sunday 23&25 November

Williams - March from Superman

Williams - Selections from Far and Away

Williams - Theme from Born on the Fourth of July

Williams - Out to Sea and Shark Cage Fugue from Jaws

Williams - Hooray for Hollywood

Williams - Techniques of Film Scoring (with Film)

Williams - A Tribute to George Lucas and Steven Spielberg (with Film)

I'm not sure how often this happens but the Theme from Superman will be played twice in one weekend and I'm fairly excited about that news. The only thing that could top this is if he merges the Krypton theme with the Superman theme but we will just have to wait and see.

I was happy with the old program, but I'm even happier with the new one. I just can't wait as this will be my first Williams concert. Hell, it'll be my first film music concert!

I was happy with the old program too, but I prefer the new one. It is, at least in my mind, more dynamic. Maybe I just prefer the new selections.

I was kind of wondering how John Williams was going to segue from the 20th Century-Fox Fanfare into Jurassic Park. Was the audience suppose to have a 10 second applause after the orchestra played a 20 second piece?

I'm going with my father on the Saturday 24th concert. I'm excited, as it is more of his artistic music, which I'm more interested to hear than the typical film score works. He is doing a talk about "The Five Sacred Trees" with the bassoonist David McGill beforehand...anyone going to this?

~Drew R.